Friday, July 11, 2014

styleARC Riva Raglan T-Shirt

Aloha Dear Readers,

Last year when I met Maria, she kindly brought with her some styleArc patterns I had ordered.  I have finally gotten to my second pattern, but I have heavily modified it.  Not because the fit was off, no the fit was great!  I just wanted more of a "tough" look to pair with the skirt fabric from Kaimuki Dry Goods.  You might remember this fabric from when I met Kyle in Oahu last year also!

The pattern is one of styleArc's beginner's patterns, and it is named the Riva Raglan T-Shirt.  I really should have taken a picture of the t-shirt before I started to modify it, but trust me, it looks just like the pattern picture.  It has a very modest neckline.  This was the first change I made.  I expanded the neckline out by about 1 inch all the way around.  My serger was having some tension issues, so the neckline is slightly rippled.  I could have also cut the neckline binding a little shorter to avoid the ripple as well.  Next time!  The neckline binding was narrowed by about 3/8"and lengthened about 4".  Next, I cut and hemmed the sleeves so that they resembled more of a "muscle" t-shirt.  
I ordered a size 8 in this pattern and it fit with a little bit more ease than I wanted so I went back and took in every seam by another 1/4".  So instead of sewing with a 1/4" seam allowance I took up a 1/2" seam allowance.  The final thing I did was to change the hemline.  I made a shirt tail hem.  This t-shirt is paired with a very simple 2 piece skirt.  You've seen this type of skirt quite a bit on my blog.  It is so easy to make and only requires one yard of fabric and enough elastic to fit your waist.  You could probably get away with 3/4 of a yard, depending on how short you want it.  This is just a fun casual look for summer or weekends!

Thanks for stopping by.  
Now who is going to open the concession stand so I can get a hot dog….or two?


velosewer said...

Edgy. Very edgy top Shannon.
Who every runs that stand had better serve you pronto because you look like a tough yet stylish customer.
Nice shoes too.

Judith said...

Great little top with those changes ... time to rap on the counter to get served ... J

Kyle said...

I remember that fabric!!
I have that raglan tee pattern too. Time for me to get back to sewing--I have 2 of the 5 pieces of fabric I bought there left to sew up.

Mary said...

Show off your biceps! ♡ I like the whole look.

Lori said...

This is a great looking tshirt and I really like your color combination. I have not ordered a Style Arc pattern yet, nervous about trying to pick one size!

Myra said...

Hello Shannon and I love your new T-Shirt, (ripples and all!). It looks great on you! I truly love this comfortable look! I think I have this pattern too!

Jane M said...

Great way to make that T shirt follow your rules.