Thank you for your thoughts on the last couple of outfits. Today I finished both a top and skirt from New Look 6470. I made the top from View C and the skirt from View E. I wasn't too sure about the style of the skirt, but I have to say I am pleasantly surprised by how much I like it, and because it has an elastic waistband it is very comfortable.
FFC. The colors are purple, black and white. The only method of construction that I changed was to use 1" wide elastic at the top instead of 1/2" wide. I also did not make a casing but instead sewed the elastic to the top of the skirt, turned it down one turn, and used my coverstitch machine to topstitch it in place. This is how I finish nearly all of my elastic waist clothing.
This back shot shows how nicely the fabric flows in a breeze.
For the armholes I cut a self-fabric binding. Before I bound the armholes, I cut them by 5/8" all the way around (to make up for the fact that I was supposed to make a narrow hem). The binding was cut about 2" shorter than the armhole openings. I used a 1/4" seam. This rayon is very stretchy and doesn't have a lot of recoil. Therefore the edges really did need to be gathered in a bit with the shorter binding. I am mostly happy with the top, but I will shorten the neckline in the future because it is a little bit lower than I prefer. I will be wearing this with a camisole. I do like the gathering detail at the shoulders and along the side front.
Thanks for stopping by! Aloha!