Wednesday, July 16, 2014

New Look 6470 Top and Skirt


Aloha Again,

Thank you for your thoughts on the last couple of outfits.  Today I finished both a top and skirt from New Look 6470.  I made the top from View C and the skirt from View E.  I wasn't too sure about the style of the skirt, but I have to say I am pleasantly surprised by how much I like it, and because it has an elastic waistband it is very comfortable.
As is my norm, I cut a size 10 for both pieces.  I followed the directions for the skirt and did not modify anything regarding fit.  The finished hip width for a size 10, just for reference, is 37 inches.  The pattern suggests that you use pretty much any type of fabric that has a nice drape whether knit or woven.  I have used an ITY knit from FFC.  The colors are purple, black and white.   The only method of construction that I changed was to use 1" wide elastic at the top instead of 1/2" wide.  I also did not make a casing but instead sewed the elastic to the top of the skirt, turned it down one turn, and used my coverstitch machine to topstitch it in place.  This is how I finish nearly all of my elastic waist clothing.


This back shot shows how nicely the fabric flows in a breeze.

For the top I used a premium quality white rayon/lycra knit.  I cannot remember where I got it.  I made some modifications to the pattern in that I finished the neckline and armholes with self-fabric instead of making a narrow hem.  For the neckline I cut a front band that was 8" shorter than the total neckline.  Good thing I did this, because it helped to gather the neckline so that it is more snug against my chest.

For the armholes I cut a self-fabric binding.  Before I bound the armholes, I cut them by 5/8" all the way around (to make up for the fact that I was supposed to make a narrow hem).  The binding was cut about 2" shorter than the armhole openings.   I used a 1/4" seam.  This rayon is very stretchy and doesn't have a lot of recoil.  Therefore the edges really did need to be gathered in a bit with the shorter binding.  I am mostly happy with the top, but I will shorten the neckline in the future because it is a little bit lower than I prefer.  I will be wearing this with a camisole.  I do like the gathering detail at the shoulders and along the side front.
 In the end, I love this outfit.  I will make at least one more version of this pattern before it is all said and done.  I am especially anxious to make another knit top with a shortened neckline.  I like that the shoulders are wide, even though this is a sleeveless top.


Thanks for stopping by!  Aloha! 

13 comments:

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

This is a fabulous outfit. Your fabric choices are spot on!

yoshimi said...

Beautiful outfit! You look very pretty and elegant in it. I've been very happy to find your recent posts since you started updating here, thank you for sharing your projects!

Debbie Iles said...

Beautiful lines in that skirt. It looks wonderful on you.

Texan said...

What a great outfit! It fits you so good! Its just lovely!

Mrs K said...

A beautiful outfit and the fit is spot on.

Mary said...

Nicely done! The color of the skirt is terrifuc and I love the drape.

Nakisha said...

Ooh so pretty!!!

Sharon said...

A lovely summery outfit, the skirt looks perfect with the drape and your top loos lovely on you.

Philippa said...

I'm making this pattern too! I've sewn the other tops though, and was considering the skirt. Now I've seen yours, I really like it! I was thinking of making mine in a linen type fabric though, so I am not sure how it will work. Anyway, thank you for posting, you look lovely!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

What a great outfit! That length of skirt is hard to wear, and you are killing it. I love the flow!

velosewer said...

Tres elegant. What a lovely ensemble.

marysews said...

I like these pieces. This post is telling me to make up this pattern.

tropicalthreads said...

I lke the both the patterns and the combination of pattern and fabric. They look light, cool and flowing and sooo easy to wear.