Saturday, July 5, 2014

Catching Up and Burda 8281

Aloha Friends,

The month of June flew by.  I decided to take on a big home redecoration project.  I painted with bright blues and a light sandy brown.  I made new curtains for the kitchen and new placemats for the dining room table.  I recovered the dining room chairs and began painting all the trim white, except in the kitchen.  I am nearly finished, and my home feels so much better.  I like the bright colors for now.  The carpet has also been replaced with a laminate wood floor.  There are still a few things left to do, but I feel like I can start sewing clothes now.  Yay!





 Burda 8281

Burda 8281 is a pattern for fitted skirts cut on the bias.  I made View B with an aloha print fabric, and I love it!  I have seriously been absorbed with all things ocean, including snorkeling to take pictures of the turtles and fish.  I am enjoying the sea like never before in all my time spent in Maui.  Ah….but I digress.  Back to Burda 8281….after a few turtle pics!




As I mentioned, I made View B and cut a straight size 10.  The only adjustment I made was in straightening out the curve on the hips.  The lower skirt band is also cut on the bias, and the pattern includes lining pieces.  There are two shaping darts on the back, and I inserted an invisible zipper instead of inserting a regular zipper in the center back.  Here is the finished skirt along with some detail shots.  

Light Muslin Lining
Invisible Zipper
Back Darts and inside of Invisible Zipper

The whole skirt is made out of cotton which makes it so comfortable.  I also love that this pattern includes lining pieces.  My skirt feels so well made.  I know I will wear it a lot.  I will be concentrating on skirts for a bit as this is required work attire for my position.  Thankfully I love to wear skirts, and this one I will be making again for sure!  


15 comments:

velosewer said...

Your home looks lovely and fresh. That's a lot of work.
Great skirt choice. That print and your skills make this a well made skirt.

Gorgeous Things said...

I like home-dec projects. They are a nice change of pace between garments. Yours turned out beautifully! And the skirt, of course, is fabulous.

And honu!!!!!

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

great paint colors and I love that skirt fabric, its unusual and works so well with that style.

Mary said...

The colors in your home are so pretty. And the fishy skirt is great.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I love the fabric you chose for the skirt ~ it makes a very pretty skirt! You home refresh is also very pretty. Can't wait to see more skirts!!!

Texan said...

I like it :O). Cute fabric! Neat pictures of the turtle!

I have made a couple skirts lately and found that I really like wearing them as well!

Sharon said...

Love the colors you choose in your home. And what a great little skirt!

Amy said...

That blue is one of my favorites. I would have a difficult fight on my hands to put that on my walls...so I fill it in other places.
The skirt is great - I'm inspired.

kathy said...

I love the netting over the white curtains. Just the right amount.

The turtles are so arresting.

Sharon said...

Great skirt, love the fabric!

Philippa said...

Your 'new look' house is perfect for your location! Home projects are very time and energy consuming, but worth it I think, and your new skirt is fabulous too. When I read your blog I am transported to life on a tropical island - I love it!

Kyle said...

I love the honu too!

Great skirt!! And it's also neat to see your home makeover. It sounds like you're really enjoying your summer vacay!

Andrea said...

Beautiful skirt and your home looks so bright and fresh. Love the color!

Cennetta said...

Your home is beautiful. And I like you new skirt.

Theresa said...

I'm impressed with the perfect zipper and lining. Those can give me trouble!
Theresa