Sunday, December 9, 2012

New Look 6164 More Pieces

Aloha Everyone!

Recently I took advantage of the online fabric sales happening over the Thanksgiving holiday.  The two ITY knits you will see here, in New Look 6164, are from Gorgeous Fabrics.  The fabric for the top is here and the fabric for the skirt is here.  I've already made the cardigan from this pattern, but was curious about the top.  I was pretty sure the skirt would be a winner because of its simple design.

Here are the skirt from view D and the top from view B.  I did make a couple of modifications on the skirt, but the top I did not change at all.  Both the skirt and top are a size 10.
Detail shots of the top:
The neckline is hemmed with a double fold.  It does not need elastic to prevent gaping from my experience.  You have to hand sew the gathered portion of the lower bodice to the upper bodice, because of the loop and twist in the center.  If you decide to make this pattern be sure to put the wrong sides together when you construct the twist.  Even though I read this in the instructions, I still put the right sides together, out of habit, and had to unpick and start again.  Bummer!  The armholes are finished with a narrow facing.  Overall the top is okay, but not my favorite.  I don't care for the side view with the gathers in the center.  Below you will see how the back is constructed


I'm not particularly fond of how the back is drafted.  You must gather the lower back bodice piece, in the center, before sewing it to the top back piece.  Then, on the inside, you make a casing in the seam allowance where you join the top and bottom and insert elastic.  The above picture shows you what that looks like.  I think I would prefer a clean one-piece back piece.
There were a couple of things I changed on the skirt.  I eliminated the back seam, because I did not want a center slit at the hemline.  I also added 1/2" to the finished width of the hips on the size 10, and I cut 1" off the length of the skirt.  Since I did not have 1 1/4" wide elastic for the the waistband, I narrowed the waistband by 1/4" to accommodate my 1" wide elastic.  I really like this skirt and the waistband treatment.  It is so easy to wear, but looks great!
Those are my highlights for the skirt and top in New Look 6164.  I won't be making the top again, but I love the skirt.  You will see it again in the near future!

25 comments:

velosewer said...

This looks like a really fun and classic style. Thank you for the notes about the top. Both pieces are so lovely.

marysews said...

I bought this pattern just for the skirt. It looks nice!

pdiddly said...

I can see what you mean about the top, however you look great in whatever you wear lol. Love the skirt especially the fabric

Andrea said...

Another great outfit! Love the skirt fabric.

katherine h said...

I like all the details in the top and I think the gathered lower back makes for an interesting change. Perhaps you will like it more after you wear it a few more times? It looks very versatile and a good wardrobe addition. You could pair it with black pants for a sleek outfit. Or wear it with white pants for a more daytime look.

Kyle said...

cute!!!

Summer Flies said...

I too like the top a lot. I like the detail of the gathers but maybe it just doesn't need the elastic? I think the front and side look fine too. I love the simple skirt too.

Faye Lewis said...

That's a great looking outfit Mushy!

Jane M said...

I stared at that pattern in the New look catalog on Friday but ended up not buying it just because of those darn gathers. I love it from the front but I agree that the side view doesn't give the twist its due credit. But meanwhilem fun, fun skirt!

Anonymous said...

Wow.

Sue said...

Looks fabulous!

Bri said...

I love how the front of the top falls so nicely on you! Love the print of your skirt too, more brilliant work from you as always!

Bummer about the unpicking, I would definitely do that too!

Amanda S. said...

Yeah, I am not a fan of tops or dresses with that center gather thingy. Maybe they look good on bigger busted girls but not on me. Being black, though, it's still pretty flattering. Love the skirt!

Sue said...

Great outfit - the top will be versatile but I think with so many more great patterns out there, I wouldn't choose to make it again either.

Karin said...

Both pieces look lovely, and lovely together. It's a shame that the top just isn't completely right. Sometimes things look good in the pictures, or even good to other people when you are wearing them, but they never feel quite right to you. At least that happens to me sometimes!
Like Sue said, there are so many patterns to chose from that there is no point struggling with something that doesn't "click."

gwensews said...

I don't think I've seen you in dark clothes before now. This outfit is lovely and looks so nice on you.

Ann's Fashion Studio said...

This is a very stylish outfit and it looks great on you.

Trudy Callan said...

Looks amazing. I adore the fabric you used for the skirt.

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

suddenly I am seeing animal print everywhere - so cute.

Caroline said...

I like the front of the top alot. It is really pretty. I am with you about a two piece back though. I would prefer a one piece as well. though without the elastic maybe it wouldn't sit right ...

estetik said...

Great article! I enjoy your web site very much. Take a look at my internet directory.
estetik

The Slapdash Sewist said...

I love this outfit! I can see why don't like the back of the top, but I don't think it's unflattering. You look really fanastic!!!

Carolyn said...

Very smart! I think the top looks great. I really love your funky choice of fabrics too :)

Myra said...

While I love this top on you, I know exactly what you mean about those gathers in the front and back of the top. It's truly beautiful and I am so happy I read your review...it prevented me from making this top! (I would have felt the same as you!). Beautiful skirt to!

fabric epiphanies said...

I think both your skirt and top are lovely but I get what you mean about the back gathers.