Sunday, December 16, 2012

Butterick 5857 A Close Fitting Knit Top

Aloha Everyone,

Butterick 5857 is a pattern for several different styles of knit tops.  The recommended fabric is two-way stretch jersey.  The view that caught my eye when I bought the pattern was "D".  However, the first view I ended up making was "A".  I think this is a perfect style to pair with skinny pants because of how long the top is.

I used a thin cream colored rayon/lycra knit, but because it was so thin and drapey I lined the entire top with a 4-way jersey lining from Emma One Sock. Notice how I finished the neckline and bottom.  Rather than turning those areas under twice and top-stitching like the pattern instructs, I understitched my lining and got very clean edges with no stitches on the right side.  Here is a picture of what I am talking about.  By the way, I cut the size small and had to take out quite a bit of room in the upper bodice and side seams.  Overall, I believe I reduced this area by at least 4 inches in width, from the waist up, and two inches in length. Unfortunately, the pattern did not have the finished bust or waist printed on the tissue, so I had to guess.
Also, because the shoulder seams are thicker with two layers of fabric, I didn't add elastic to gather here.  The only thing I'm a little disappointed in is the fact that the hem on the sleeves is a bit stiff.  I serged the lining and fashion fabric together, then turned once and top-stitched to finish the sleeves.  I'm not sure it bothers me enough to fix, but it's something to take note of if I make this again.  And here is the finished look.


I really like the V-neck back, and the top is comfortable.  However, you can see how much my fabric drapes.  I didn't take a lot of time to get the drapes just right before taking pictures, but it looks like it would be a good idea to adjust the gathers a bit especially on the hem before heading out the door.  Even though the pattern is rated easy, it is tedious working with a drapey knit and gathering that top layer of fabric on the lower part.  But doable!

As I head into the new week, my heartfelt prayers continue to go up for all of the families affected by the unspeakable tragedy that occurred in Connecticut.  There are no words...and as I wrestle with my own feelings, especially being someone far removed, I cannot even imagine what the families and that community must be going through.  They definitely need all the support and love they can get right now.    


14 comments:

Judith said...

I agree that this would need lining, and love how it has come together at the seems - very clean lines! So, will you try View D next?...J

velosewer said...

I agree with you about Connecticut.

Lori said...

Very pretty top.

pdiddly said...

that is such a lovely looking top, I especially like the gathers in the front and back.

gwensews said...

Looks super. You did a good job working the drape.

Marie said...

It looks great - I love the back.

Lisette M said...

I love how you make me twice at patterns I hadn't noticed. The top is very pretty and it fits you well.

Caroline said...

I like the V in the back too. unexpected and interesting. And cool in hot weather, I suspect.

I'm hugging my first grader a bit tighter this week. And praying more for his school and teachers. :/

Irene said...

An absolutely gorgeous top!

womens Coats And Jackets said...

I too agree with your idea. Beautiful top.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Love this tee variation. I actually like the shape on the sleeves with a little body to the fabric--it emphasizes the interest style lines.

Myra said...

Oh I love this top and the color! You are so deserving of the award I gave you on my blog! Merry Christmas!

j.kaori said...

The v-back is really beautiful -- great top. I agree with your sentiments about CT. I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday!

Kyle said...

Cute! The gathers are well worth the work!
Mele Kalikimaka!!!