Monday, November 12, 2012

Back on the Sunny Side...

...with two "new looks".  Those would be New Look 6753, view D and New Look 6388, view B.
I once made New Look 6753 a long time ago, before I began this blog.  I had used a bamboo/lycra knit and the top just didn't work.  The v-neck was too low, and overall it felt too big even though I used the size 6, when I normally cut a size 10 in New Look patterns.  This time I used a light-weight cotton/lycra knit.  The pattern calls for two-way stretch fabrics.  Because I used the size 6, I was afraid the armholes would be too small.  Therefore, I cut the shoulder seams at the size 10 marking.  I don't think I needed to do this.  I can see some diagonal lines around the neck, that I'm thinking should go away if I take up more of a seam on the shoulders.  Or maybe I need to widen the shoulders...Hmmm...  If you have any thoughts, feel free to chime in.  

Here is a close-up of the top.  I used my coverstitch machine for all of the top-stitching.
And a close-up of the front neckline finished with a self-fabric neckband.
For the skirt, I used New Look 6388, view B, in a size 10.  I made it in a poly/cotton aloha fabric.  This fabric seemed to have the perfect stiffness to hold the pleats when I pressed them.  I did not alter a thing on this skirt.  The pattern states that it sits 1.5" below the waist, and it does sit low.  Instead of inserting a lapped zipper, I installed an invisible zipper.  When I top-stitched the pleats down, I doubled the thread in my needle so that it would stand out.  For the most part the stitches look good, but I did have a couple of spots where one thread did not catch, so I ended up with one loop popping up.
 Here is a close-up of the top-stitching and invisible zipper:
I'm very happy with the overall look of the outfit.  This could be considered my "uniform" here in Maui.  I love to wear t-shirts and skirts!



25 comments:

velosewer said...

It's a lovely uniform, if that's what you call it. I think it's very summery and light.

Would you use more width on the shoulders to overcome the smile lines? I'm not good at analysing fit.
Nice to see you again Mushy.

Uta said...

Cute outfit! The t-shirt pattern is very pretty; I hope you resolve the fitting issues (though I'd absolutely wear this as is!). That's my uniform, too; sadly, it's for only two months out of the year here. :-)

Kat Campbell said...

I really like the crisp white with the colourful skirt - excellent uniform! The shoes are very cute too.

Janine said...

Such a bright and cheerful outfit. I see what you mean about the shoulders -does pinching out some fabric at the shoulders take away some of those ripples - still it looks pretty good.

Karin said...

The whole outfit is cute and sort of preppy, summer chic. It suits you.
I can see that the shoulders in the front seem to be to narrow and are pulling. It looks fine in the back, though. I'd still wear the shirt because I think almost no one would notice except another sewer. If you sew it again, I wonder if it would be possible to widen the front shoulders without things getting too confusing.

pdiddly said...

both pieces look so crisp and bright - love them.

Like others have said, its only because you pointed it out we now see it. It does look like it needs some fabric taken from the shoulders to get rid of the smile however will this cause problems with the sleeves? .... might be just tooooooo much effort for something that doesn't really look bad. I suspect a RTW wouldn't fit half as good as that one does.

Coco said...

So cute and fresh! Those wrinkles...your armscye might be too far off your shoulder and upper chest. Looks like the sleeve needs to be set in on a bit more of a curve starting about midway up. Sleeve cap area might be a bit skimpy for the change you made as well. Hope this helps!

gwensews said...

What a pretty outfit. Perfect for any outing.

Cathy said...

I really love the skirt! This is such a breezy outfit, love it!

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

great outfit and I missed that NL top pattern, very cute.

Mary said...

Great uniform look! Sadly, I am switching from tees to heavy tunics and sweaters, or long tees and vests, as we move into real winter. Riding in this weather takes dedication!

Because you asked :-): I think the lines are pulling from either your biceps &/or the shoulder seams. The shoulder seam on the right is tugged off center. If the sleeves are a size 6, perhaps they are tugging that seam off. It is so barely noticeable only another sewist would see it.

Diana said...

Very pretty outfit.
I think your shoulders are too wide but the top looks better than RTW.

Alexandra said...

I love this outfit!

Myra said...

Very cute! I love this look on you! Thanks for the.tip on the top pattern...I have this pattern and had the same problem the first time I made it! This version is perfect even with the small diagonal lines! BTW...I agree with your fix, take it up at the shoulders.

Caroline said...

I have a similar uniform ... though not many "pretty" Tshirts . I like the bodice detail on this one. It makes a the shirt special. And a pretty skirt!
Cute shoes, BTW. :)

Amanda S. said...

Cute and beachy!

Sue said...

You have lots of tips already about what to do with the lines on the tee. It is funny though, if this was a RTW top and you didn't sew, you wouldn't question it. However I suppose it is good to visit it if you want to make another one. Love the crisp white with the bright skirt!

marysews said...

Nice outfit! I love the print!

Lori said...

Gorgeous outfit.

Kyle said...

Your outfit looks great! And hey, you have bangs now!!

Judi Pinkham said...

I did not notice anything wrong at all!!! I think the skirt and top look perfect together and very nice on you.

kathy said...

Cute outfit. Like the orange (go beavs!)

1. I think the upper sleeve is possibly snug - causing it to pull at the upper bodice piece.
Also the wide neckline...

2. The doubled up threads to make the topstitching 'pop' probably worked on your sample, but went wonky on the real garment.
Dislike when that happens.
Hopefully, they don't show much on the print.

3. If you did make this top again, I feel the sleeve is tad long. My idea is to keep the length but sew clear elastic from the hem up - 2-3 inches at sleeve center so s. hem gently rides up mimicking the center bodice detail in a small, subtle way.

All in all, a nice combination, and we are inherently nit-picky!

Your choice of the cotton/poly for the skirt worked very well for this pattern.

Eileen Cox said...

I fell in love with this pattern, too - but no matter what alterations I've made, it always comes out looking wonky and fitting terribly. And I agree - I had had problems with a similarly styled Simplicity pattern being far, far too small - and this one was far, far too big. I cut them both in the same pattern size (10) - according to the mfg measurements. I've given up on this one!

anne k said...

The "arrows" seem to be pointing to the neckline, the armscyes, and the side underarm seams, so those should be where potential problems are. But as others said, we're all nitpicky and that outfit is very cute on you.

Linda said...

Love the top and skirt.