Sunday, May 6, 2012

One of My Favorites

Hello Again!

I've whipped up one of my favorite outfits today.  Every year I try to buy some more Bali rayon for these bias cut skirts.  I like to pair them with all kinds of knit tops.  The skirt fabric was picked up during my recent trip to Oregon at Fabric Depot.  The knit top is made from a drapey, light-weight, rayon/lycra, and I can't remember where I got it.  You've seen both the skirt and knit top before.  The skirt pattern is shown here, and the top here.
Here are a couple of close-ups of the fabric and top.  Since this knit has so much drape, I will have to be careful of the neckline when I wear it.  I definitely don't want to be bending forward and embarrass myself or others!  I love the bright blue and brown mix in this outfit.  On the top, the back neckline and armholes are finished with self-fabric strips which have been turned in and top-stitched.    
I generally finish these skirts with an elastic waistband so that I don't have the lumps that come with a drawstring waistband, and this one was no exception.  The hem on the knit top was finished with my coverstitch machine.
I'd love to introduce you to the sweet little lady who has been occupying my time these past couple of weeks. 


Her name is Freckles and we rescued her from the Maui Humane Society.  They estimate that she is 2.5 years old and is mostly Australian Cattle Dog.  She has the sweetest disposition, but is scared of everything.  It's taking quite a bit of time to acclimate her to our home, how to walk on a leash, where to go potty, etc.  I'm certain she has endured some trauma in her life, but I hope she will come out of it okay.  Today on our walk, she burst into a fear-fueled, crazed, frenzy when she saw a kite.  Good thing she is small enough that I can handle her when she needs to be calmed down.  In her own backyard she loves to run, play ball, and CHEW!  She has become quite attached to the boys and I.  She didn't make a peep for the first two weeks, but now she is finding her voice.  It's been nearly seven years since we've had a dog.  I don't know how we survived so long without one!

33 comments:

Kat said...

What a beautiful dog! Congratulations on the newest member of your family :-)

I also really love the fabric in your skirt!

pdiddly said...

Your outfit is great but your new four legged friend is lovely - I really miss my dogs so know what you mean - I am consoling myself with my daughter's great dane puppy instead.

Sew-4-Fun said...

Lovely outfit!

Lovely dog too. I grew up with Australian cattle dogs (living on a cattle farm).

MareeAlison said...

I love your outfit and your new dog. There is a lot of cattle dog in there isn't there? You have to shudder to think what she has gone through in her young life. Poor girl. I'm sure with all the love you and your family give her she'll settle down with time.

onix said...

es un perro maravilloso, será una gran compañera en tus tardes de costura

Sue said...

Love the brown and blue combo too and the whole outfit is very flattering!

Cu-ute dog!

velosewer said...

I can see why this is a fav of yours. You look great.
Congratulations on the new addition to the family too.
It's great to hear from you again:-))

Juliette @Sewing And Style said...

Freckles is adorable! Rescues are the best dogs to have as the love they give back to you is truly insane. I rescued a Staffordshire Bull Terrier two years ago and he turned out to be the most loving dog I have ever met in my life. All the best to you and Freckles, hope you have great life together

Lisette M said...

Great outfit,comfortable and stylish. Freckles is adorable, much luck with her training!

Bernice said...

This colour combo has always been one of my favourites. Lovely outfit.

gwensews said...

Nice outfit! I imagine you were glad to get back home to your nice climate, after your visit to Oregon. Who would want to leave Hawaii? Best wishes to you and your new fur child. I'm sure she is happy to have a family.

Karin said...

Freckles is a lovely dog, good luck with all the training!
Your skirt is so pretty. Chic and easy, perfect for tropical weather.

sewingkm said...

Rescue dogs are the best! Enjoy Freckles as she'll give you all her love.
Your outfit is great.

kathy said...

Now you need a second dog for the first to play with. lol
I can't imagine not having a dog.

Lovely skirt - love the style on you.

Rebecca said...

Love your outfit! And that dog is beyond precious. :]

Caroline said...

Your boys must be so excited to have a dog! It just seems to go with boyhood... goose has asked, but I don't think he is old enough / responsible enough yet. Or if I am ready yet...

Love your casual style. pretty and understated.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Great outfit and beautiful girl! Freckles is a great name for her.

Vanessa said...

Hey Shannon! Brown and blue is not a combination I've tried before, but it looks pretty on you. I love how you whip outfits together and they still look so nice. And your dog Freckles is precious. I know she is grateful to be taken care of by you and your family. I hope all the love you give her drives out her fears...

Lori said...

Great looking outfit, really like the colors. Enjoy your new dog.

Christiana said...

Lovely outfit and congrats on the new family member

Christiana
sewamusing.blogspot.com

Mary said...

Hi Freckles! Ask your new mom to sew you up an assortment of doggy beds and soft toys. love, marec (who volunteers at our shelter)

Bri said...

Whenever you mention your oldie but goodie patterns it reminds me of how many patterns I've used and thought oh it'd be nice to do that again! I really should get on it...

Freckles looks and sounds from your description like a great little bundle of fun, she just needs to get used to things with you guys!

Last year after school I adopted a cat from a shelter and her and the dog have become best buds and now I couldn't imagine life without her!

Good luck with Freckles!

fabric epiphanies said...

I too was wearing blue and brown today, a combination that has perhaps fallen out of favour but in my opinion an oldie but a goodie.

Nothing like a walk on the beach with a dog.

sewing spots said...

I love your outfit! You look great in it. Congrats on Freckles! We adopted our 2 from a rescue-simultaneously, which I don't recommend at all. They both had issues, too. It took time and patience and one worked through her issues much more quickly than the other one did. Good luck and enjoy!

Gorgeous Things said...

Lovely outfit, and congratulations on Freckles!!! She is so cute. She definitely looks like Australian Cattle Dog is in there. Our dog, Hoover, is also a rescue. He is still pretty skittish, but he's settled in nicely in the 7 years we have had him.

Myra said...

I love this outfit on you! It's so beautiful and I am a sucker for a cowl neck anything! Freckles is really cute too!

Carolyn said...

Congratulations on the newest member of your family, I'm sure that she will give you lots and lots of love, as much as I am sure she is getting from your own lovely family :)
Your new outfit is gorgeous. This is a beautiful silhouette on you, and looks fantastic with your perfect figure.

Alexandra said...

Freckles is gorgeous!

Allison Page said...

Oh yes, you have done a wonderful thing! And your outfit is great too, as usual! I love brown and blue together too, those were the colors of my wedding! Best wishes for the new member of your family, she's very blessed!

j.kaori said...

Lovely outfit -- classic pieces. Freckles is too cute! What a lucky dog to have a forever home! I'm actually thinking about investing in a serger and a coverstitch machine -- can you tell me which ones you use? Thanks!

Bonny said...

It's a shame our rescue dogs can't tell us why they are frightened of certain things/activities. You will gain her trust over time, but there are incidents that may never change (Estrellita not wanting anything to do with Drew, for example.)

Justine of SewCountryChick said...

I love blue and brown together. You look fabulous! Perfect blouse drape too.

mominriver@yahoo.com said...

Very classy & elegant...
LOVE the new addition to your family!