Sunday, May 20, 2012

New Look A6053 A Bold Skirt

Put your sunglasses on!  I have another bright skirt to show you.  This fabric was also picked up in Oregon, at Jo-Ann's.  It is a medium weight (LOVE the weight and brightness) rayon.  I only bought one yard and it shrunk a couple of inches when I washed and dried it, and I found out that it had a hole in it.  Thankfully, neither of these two issues prevented me from making a simple A-line skirt.  The hole was about 6 inches from the selvage, so I was able to work around it.   The shrinking wasn't an issue, because I knew I wanted a swishy above knee skirt, so less than a yard was plenty of fabric.

I used New Look A6053, view E.  This is advertised as a two hour skirt, and it is easy.  There are two darts in the back for shaping, with a great tip in the instructions for making a dart with no "bubble" at the point.  The pattern calls for a regular zipper, but I inserted an invisible one.  The waist is finished with facing.  The hem is turned up 1 1/4 inch, and the skirt has not been lengthened.  This is the length of the shortest view, on my 5' 7" frame.  When I tissue measured the waistband I could see it would be about 1 inch too tight, so I added 1/4 to each side seam from about hip level up.  That was my only alteration on the size 10 pattern. 
Again, this is a skirt with simple lines, but in a bold print like this, it works!
You've seen the t-shirt earlier here.  Here is a close-up of the invisible zipper and finished waistband.
I wore this outfit to the movie "The Avengers" with my boys and a friend this afternoon...a super afternoon. Hope yours was too!  Have a great week everyone!

21 comments:

Kristin said...

Awesome! I love the brights mixed with black and white!

velosewer said...

That's a great print. I can see this being a great addition to your wardrobe.

pdiddly said...

Fantastic print which looks fabulous with the black top.

Karin said...

Awesome outfit! Ladylike, flattering and modest. But, still a little sassy with the cutout in the back and the bright floral print. Just how I imagine people in Hawaii should dress:-)

Sue said...

Another great outfit - it works really well. And yes, I did have a lovely day!

Kyle said...

That's a great skirt and also the styling is great! That's the perfect shirt to wear with it. Also love your braid!

Irene said...

Wonderful skirt!

Andrea said...

Great outfit! Love the skirt fabric.

kathy said...

How was the Avengers? I meant to go yesterday- I have free movie tickets that expire at the end of the month, maybe this week someday after work.
Great skirt.
Thank you for noting where the actual hem lies. I have to take off inches when I sew for my 5'4" frame whenever I use a commercial pattern.

Mary said...

So cute! I think I saw this fabric on the website and admired it.

gwensews said...

Oh, cute! That little skirt will take you anywhere.

Judi said...

Kewl fabric!!!!...made a stylish skirt!!!

Caroline said...

Very pretty! I love florals ...

Alexandra said...

Love your skirt!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

That is a great print. It's the perfect outfit with the tee--simple, classic lines but with interest from the print (skirt) and cut-out back (top).

Brenda said...

Great print. I recently purchased this pattern now motivated to move forward. Thanks for sharing.

j.kaori said...

Love the print! The simplicity of the skirt style really shows off the print.

Myra said...

Great skirt & hope you enjoyed the movie!

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

What a pretty vibrant skirt this is! Lovely!

Coco said...

Striking, love it

Sheila said...

Pretty skirt and it so on trend... especially here in New York. The stores are stock with bold print skirts. Love the top you paired with it.