Friday, May 18, 2012

Burda 7509 Inspired by Bougainvillea

Bougainvillea blooms must have been what was on my mind when I decided to purchase this brightly colored second piece of Bali rayon during my recent trip to Oregon.  It has the exact shades of purple and coral in the plants I see around my neighborhood.  I have made it into another New Look 6153 skirt and paired it with a Burda 7509 bias cut sleeveless top made out of a bold shade of lightweight purple linen.

Even though this is a semi-fitted outfit with simple lines, I think the bold colors make it memorable.  It is also quite cool and comfortable.  The first time I made the top, I did not cut the pattern out on the bias, so I had to add a zipper to the side seam.  This time however, I made view B exactly according to the instructions and cut out a size 10.  I am surprised that the pattern would have you cut the front and back on a fold.  I didn't do this.  Instead, I laid it out flat, on the bias, by making a mirror image of the pattern. No alterations were needed, and the finished top slips on easily over my head.  The v-neck and armholes are finished with self-fabric bias strips.  There are also bust darts for shaping.  Here is a close-up view of the top.
I do like this top for ease of construction and wear-ability.  I would also like to make another, in linen, with the round neckline from view A.  Thanks for stopping by to have a look and for your comments on the last post.  I appreciated Gwen's tip to try the vest with a short skirt.  Already my mind is churning, and I hope to show it styled that way in the near future.  Happy Aloha Friday! 

18 comments:

Kyle said...

such a pretty outfit! great colors.
is your necklace a pineapple? aloha!

Karin said...

I love the colours together, they really zing! It's elegant but still casual enough to wear just about anywhere.

Sue said...

Great colours and it looks so cool and comfortable.

Linda said...

I like the top and skirt. You do look cool and comfy

Nóra said...

I love bougainvillea. Your new outfit is great!

Caroline said...

I've been wanting to do a pullover top - not a tshirt so it looks "classier". Tasia's Pendrell is a good option, but tho sone is quite nice too. It seems like it could be dressed up quite nicely. Was it difficult to sew "on the bias"? I love the colors in the skirt also!

KID, MD said...

Beautiful outfit!! The colors are lovely together and I love how cool and put together it is.

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

love the color. and you have reminded me that rayon is very nice for the summer, kind of cool and floaty.

Mary said...

I am catching up with everyone, and will consolidate my comments here for your two posts. :-) Love the vest!! and this outfit with its rich colrs is tops. Really pretty Shannon!

Uta said...

I love different shades of red together, so this is right up my alley! Close-fitting is nice, but I reach for the comfortable body-skimming clothes a lot more, and I can only imagine the heat where you live, so this is probably perfect!

kathy said...

Seriously - next time you are visiting Oregon, you are taking me fabric shopping!
Great colors for you.

Irene said...

Wonderful, wonderful outfit! Bias tops hang so beautifully, don't they.

katherine h said...

Yes, very bougainvillea! That purple top looks gorgeous. The bias cut sits really nicely and it looks as though it would be lovely and cool to wear.

velosewer said...

This is a memorable style and colour. I like how it looks very elegant.

pdiddly said...

great looking outfit - I love the bias cut top which looks lovely and cool

Myra said...

Oops... I meant this was the "eye catching" outfit!!! And your vest is absolutely stunning!!! Love your version of this pattern!

Kat said...

Those colours are spectacular! I also love that Burda pattern - quick and elegant.

Joy said...

Lovely outfit! It's so interesting how much difference cutting on the bias makes.