Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Burda 7399 A New Vest

Aloha!  I've seen a couple of versions of this Burda 7399 vest here and here and decided it was time to pull out the pattern and make one for myself.

I used a magenta colored linen-cotton blend and made view A.  I constructed the pattern exactly as described (size 10) except for making my own self-fabric bias tubes for the front ties.  I like the seaming and topstitching details, but because there is a lot of both, this pattern does take some time and concentration to put together.  For most of the topstitching I also created flat fell seams to encase the raw edges on the inside.  Since I didn't have enough thread in this color to thread my serger, I finished the other raw edges with my pinking shears.  It is interesting how the front facing is what creates the pockets.  You topstitch across the bottom so that the pocket depth doesn't go all the way to the curve at the bottom.  This was a new design detail for me.

I've styled it with a simple mesh top I made quite a while ago and a pair of jeans.

 Here are some closer shots to show the bias cut lower half of the back,
the front with pockets,
and the side - high in the back low in the front design.  I'm not sure I like how high the back is.  However, I need to keep in mind the camera angle is a bit low.
Finally, a close-up of some of the top-stitching, front dart and pocket.  I think I will have fun coming up with interesting ways to wear this this summer.

11 comments:

Kat said...

I love this! Especially the bias-back, which looks sort of like a peplum but more flattering.

velosewer said...

That's a pretty vest and also has feminine detailing. This is a cute colour too.

Sue said...

This is so cute and you will have fun wearing it!

gwensews said...

I see that style in the stores. Very cute. I can see it with a short, straight skirt, too.

Irene said...

Love this vest! It certainly adds just the right "zing" to the t-shirt and jeans outfit.

Mary Nanna said...

You have to hand it to Burda - they have such interesting design lines - this colour is just gorgeous on you and I am intrigued by the drape at the back.

Kristin said...

I have this pattern, and I'm excited to see it made up! It's cute! I am looking forward to the interesting design details and the neato front pockets.

mominriver@yahoo.com said...

LOVE THIS & THE BEAUTIFUL COLORS! GREAT JOB!

Myra said...

I agree, very nice colors and very memorable too! This is definitely an "eye-catching" outfit!

Lisette M said...

I love the color of your version! I also thought the pocket construction was clever. Because of the unusual shape we will have to play with different silhouettes to see which outfits work with this piece!

Joy said...

This is very cute. And the design details are so interesting - that's one of the things I love about sewing.