Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Green Skirt - Kwik Sew 3513

After teasing my best friend that she had better wear green when we met for an early morning Chai Tea Latte on St. Patty's Day, to be followed by a long walk on the beach for some exercise, I realized I had nothing green to wear myself in an appropriate frock.  To the stash I went and found the perfect GREEN rayon knit for Kwik Sew 3513.  No pinch for me.  Whew!
I've made this before, so all the pieces were ready to go.  I had the skirt whipped up in about an hour using my serger for construction and my coverstitch to hem. (Truth be told, I didn't hem it until today, because I thought it would be fine left unfinished, but I ended up not liking the look.)  My version is shorter, and the skirt is a double layer.  This rayon knit was just a wee bit too thin for me to feel comfortable with just a single layer of fabric on the skirt portion.  Some day I will learn to do a rolled hem with my serger, because I think that would be a nice finish for the hem too.  I paired the skirt with some rtw tops here.
This skirt is so comfortable with its wide yoga style fold-over waistband and with the cool softness of the fabric against my skin.  I knew it would feel great being blown all around while walking on the beach.  Did I mention how soft the fabric is?  By the way, I found this at Fabric.com a couple of years ago.  
After tea, my friend and I headed to the nearest beach for that long walk in the sand.  I wish I hadn't left my camera at home!  As we got toward the middle of our walk, there in the sand about 20 feet up from the water's edge was the biggest sea turtle I have ever seen.  It appeared to be basking in the early morning sun.  We just stood there awestruck.  I don't know for sure how big these get, but seriously, this one was gargantuan.  What a fantastic memory I'll treasure from this Patrick's Day weekend.  Did you all make some good memories too?

PS: We watched the turtle eventually turn itself around and head back into the ocean where it was quickly joined by another large bright green turtle before heading into deeper water.    

20 comments:

Karin said...

I love it! It's so elegant and comfortable. And made up in only an hour! Perfect.

Sue said...

A very gratifying sewing project, love the green colour and the style on you. The shorter length looks great.
I'm just the teeniest bit envious of you seeing that sea turtle .... lol
That would have been amazing!!

sewing spots said...

Love the skirt! I bet it feels wonderful on--those rayon knits are so soft!!

Thanks for sharing the story about your beach walk. Neat!

knottygnome said...

looks very comfy! i don't know how hard it is on your serger, but the settings for rolled hem on mine are really easy. i love using it for a quick finish.

Andrea said...

Love it! It reminds me of a couple of RTW skirts I like to kick around in during the summertime. Perfect for throwing on over the bathing suit. Mine are getting long in the tooth, so I will have to look for this pattern. Thanks!

Amanda S. said...

Very nice skirt. So glad you avoided a pinch. :)

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Perfect for St. Patrick's day! I love the wrap style of the skirt without the wrap fuss.

a little sewing said...

I always love a tale of last-minute sewing. Isn't it wonderful to pull something from the stash and wear it right away? The double skirt is so cute!

We had unseasonably warm weather over the weekend, so I feel as though I took a little trip away from the normal routine.

fabric epiphanies said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
fabric epiphanies said...

Great skirt and great story. It must be cool to see giant turtles in the wild.

pdiddly said...

what a great colour - love the story about the sea turtle - how wonderful to have seen it - you are lucky to be living in such a beautiful place.

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

very cool skirt, great fabric + style combo.

Faye Lewis said...

Oh, I love it!

Kat said...

Beautiful skirt - very festive!

I flew back to Australia to be the maid of honour in my sister's wedding on Saturday... so that was a pretty good St Patrick's Day :-)

Myra said...

Perfect color for the holiday and style for a walk on the beach! Great job with this one Shannon!

Jen S said...

What a great skirt. I love the vibrant green and it looks so nice and comfortable. I have not seen/paid attention to that pattern before, but will do so now.
How wonderful to have seen the sea turtle - wow!

angie.a said...

This looks fantastic! I love the double layer.

velosewer said...

I like the double layer look on this length. The colour is great (of course) and the fabric looks soft. I saw a turtle yesterday swimming in Marina bay Singapore. They are so cute to see in real life. And I wasn't fast enough to take a snap!

Mikhaela said...

It looks fabulous, love that shade of green! I love this pattern--I made it twice as maternity wear and plan to make it again soon in a smaller size. Don't fear the rolled hem, though--it's just a matter of getting some wooly nylon and following your serger instructions carefully. I use it all over the place!

Uta said...

So pretty and comfortable, what a winner! I love that shade of green. And I always enjoy your stories on island life!