I have completed another basic knit, but this time it is a pair of black, ponte-knit, cropped pants. I used Burda 7371, View A, as a starting point. This knit came from Marcy Tilton's website. I won't be able to wear them too often here in Maui, unless I am in cooler weather upcountry or inside with air-conditioning. Today was overcast, and I spent 3 hours sitting at the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) this morning waiting to renew my vehicle registration, so they were a comfortable choice. (Apparently the state of Hawaii will be implementing stricter laws regarding license renewals on Monday, March 5th, so many people were there to renew their license before that date. They won't have to renew their license again for 8 years, thus the mad rush. I tried to go yesterday and the computers were down due to a power outage. I tried to go on Tuesday, but the wait was also 2-3 hours and I didn't have time that day. Next time I think I will mail mine in 10 days before the due date, as they suggest!)
Oh, but I digress, back to the pants. I used Burda 7371, which is meant for woven material. I definitely needed to make some adjustments since I used a stable knit. I cut out the size 10 and shaved about one inch off the hips at the side seams, and I took out about an inch width on the inner back leg seam near the crotch then tapered back into the original seam line at the knee. I also omitted the side zipper. According to the pattern, the waist is finished with facing. I realized that the waist was drafted to sit lower than I like, and I also didn't want the bulk of a waist band facing. Therefore, I used the waistband from my favorite knit pants pattern, Burda 7890. This raised the waistband height by 1.5 inches, and gave me a way to insert 1.5 inch wide elastic into the waist to keep the pants up. I left the back seam of the waistband open, on the inside, to insert my elastic through. The pants have front and back darts. Here you are seeing the front.
A thermo colourblocked Tessellate Tee hoodie
9 hours ago