Friday, March 2, 2012

Another Basic with Burda 7371

I have completed another basic knit, but this time it is a pair of black, ponte-knit, cropped pants.  I used Burda 7371, View A, as a starting point.  This knit came from Marcy Tilton's website.  I won't be able to wear them too often here in Maui, unless I am in cooler weather upcountry or inside with air-conditioning.  Today was overcast, and I spent 3 hours sitting at the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) this morning waiting to renew my vehicle registration, so they were a comfortable choice.  (Apparently the state of Hawaii will be implementing stricter laws regarding license renewals on Monday, March 5th, so many people were there to renew their license before that date.  They won't have to renew their license again for 8 years, thus the mad rush. I tried to go yesterday and the computers were down due to a power outage.  I tried to go on Tuesday, but the wait was also 2-3 hours and I didn't have time that day.  Next time I think I will mail mine in 10 days before the due date, as they suggest!)

Oh, but I digress, back to the pants.  I used Burda 7371, which is meant for woven material.  I definitely needed to make some adjustments since I used a stable knit.  I cut out the size 10 and shaved about one inch off the hips at the side seams, and I took out about an inch width on the inner back leg seam near the crotch then tapered back into the original seam line at the knee.  I also omitted the side zipper.  According to the pattern, the waist is finished with facing.  I realized that the waist was drafted to sit lower than I like, and I also didn't want the bulk of a waist band facing.  Therefore, I used the waistband from my favorite knit pants pattern, Burda 7890.  This raised the waistband height by 1.5 inches, and gave me a way to insert 1.5 inch wide elastic into the waist to keep the pants up.  I left the back seam of the waistband open, on the inside, to insert my elastic through. The pants have front and back darts.  Here you are seeing the front.
I like the slit in the side seam at the hem.  I reinforced mine with some zigzag stitches, but probably didn't need to.
 This is how I wore the pants today...to sit at the DMV....for three hours....
I am not sure I like the length, but I'll give it some time.  I had fun coming up with some other outfits to show you.  These pants are certainly versatile and comfortable.
Wishing you all a restful weekend!

24 comments:

Sue said...

They are extremely vesatile pants. I don't mind the length on you, especially with the ballet flats.
My favourite outfit is the grey T with the pants. :)
Although I think the turquoise blue is a stunning colour on you.

Cennetta said...

Basics are the backbone of the wardrobe. You pants are strong and look great with all of the tops shown here. I understand that sometimes certain garments take a while to grown on you. So far, you have four great looks.

Have a great weekend.
C

meli88a said...

These look so comfortable, more so than the pattern envelope photo! I wonder what it's like to wear view B... in a woven? That bow is cute but weird.

Amy said...

I am fond of this length and really like the pants. I hadn't even paid attention to this pattern, but the pants would fit nicely into my wardrobe and would be a quick addition.

Mary said...

These are so cute on you!! I love the length, especially with flats. I have some Marcy Tilton pants a bit longer than that(because I am short) and I grew to love the length. I like them in all the ways you have styled them, but love the hot pink sweater and black combo.

yoshimi said...

I love your pants! I especially love when you wear them with the blue tunic, you look absolutely elegant!

Linda said...

Great looking pants.

KID, MD said...

I love them! I recently made a similar pair, and I wasn't sure at first I was going to like the length, but they're so comfortable that I find myself reaching for them all the time. I really love them now that I've gotten used to it. Although here in Utah, I have the opposite wearability problem - cold ankles in the snow!

Lori said...

Great looking pants and all your outfits look great.

Andrea said...

Love these on you, the length is great!

Sue said...

Sometimes its good to shake up the wardrobe with something slightly out of your comfort zone. The slim leg style looks great on you and I love all the ways you have shown it worn.

pdiddly said...

The pants look great on, and I like the length, although I haven't any pants at that length myself, but do keep thinking about it - you look like a blond Audrey Hepburn with the little ballet pumps too.

Karin said...

Great basic! I have to renew my driver's licence as well, argh!

Marie said...

Pants look great and sound comfy. So glad I can renew my licence online - 3 hour wait is terrible.

Bernice said...

A nice looking basic. I think the length looks fine on you. I remember all those hours waiting. I can now do my online. Yippee!

Myra said...

I have to say that these pants are a "must have" in every woman's wardrobe! Your style options are pleasantly delightful!

Vanessa said...

Those are some nice looking pants Shannon! I'm sure they made sitting in the DMV that long much easier.

I remember going to the DMV once and wondering why they had security. As soon as I had the thought, there was an altercation in one of the lines, and the security guard had to step in. Needless to say, the DMV can be frustrating!!

Lisa said...

Those pants look so versatile. I would the heck out of them. They look great how you have styled them.

Uta said...

I like the length, and I can't count the ways I'd wear a pair like this. So versatile, and very inspiring!

velosewer said...

How cool. These are a lovely basic pair to own. Talk about versatile!

gwensews said...

You were stylish and comfy for your long wait. Great, comfortable pants are always needed. For the DMV and doctor's offices!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Very cute pants! I like the 7/8 length, I think they are a fashionable choice on you.

Caroline said...

Oh, I like those! They do look comfy but stylish too. It seems like I always have to wait forever in the DMV - take a number so you can wait in line! Then take another number so you can do your real waiting. .... grrr... I can't mail mine in because I have a CDL from when I coached and had to drive my kids on the bus, and it was such a beast to get I hate to give it up (though hope I never need it again) - they don't let you mail those in. Hopefully you had something fun to read and no grumpy children with you!

Neeno - Sew Me Love said...

Lovely pants!!
I came across your blog when I googled this pattern.
I am working on this pattern at the moment and I can't wait to see how they turn out, it's my first pants pattern!!