Saturday, December 10, 2011

V8654 Two Down and Many to Go!

I can't believe it has been so long since my last post.  Where is December going? and why is it going in such a hurry?  I do have a couple of Christmas presents to show you.  I think I have captured the personality of each of the recipients with my fabric choice, but I'll have to fill you in on whether I was right after Christmas!  I am also crossing my fingers that the fit is okay. 
I used a Katherine Tilton designed jacket pattern for both gifts.  This pattern includes facings for the front and back neckline.  However, I thought this design was just begging for a full lining.  So that is what I made.  I also changed the shape of the sleeve a little bit by making it wider at the cuff so that it could be rolled up in order to show off the lining.  I followed Sherry's RTW Tailoring Sew-Along tutorials for how to machine stitch the lining (step #14), and for bagging the hem (step #15).  What amazing time savers both of these techniques are!  If you make this pattern, keep in mind that the right and left side of the jacket front are not identical.  Therefore you have to be careful to reverse the jacket front pieces when you cut out the lining if the fabric you are using has only one right side.  My jackets button with the left side overlapping the right instead of the right side overlapping the left.  Hopefully, this is only a minor inconvenience to the wearer. 

These jackets are both made of quilting cotton.  One has a very good quality cotton twill for the outer shell and the other has a light-weight striated denim for the inner shell.  My thoughts are that they will be nice to throw on for a quick trip to the market, or to go collect eggs from the barn, when the weather is mild as in the spring or fall of the Pacific Northwest in the mainland USA. 

Jacket #1 ~ Do any of my Canadian friends recognize the lining fabric?



I top-stitched about 3/16" from the edge of both jackets.  I used a tip Mary Nanna shared, and it worked beautifully!

Jacket #2


 Well I must get back at it, but I do hope it's not such a long stretch between this and my next post.  Aloha!

25 comments:

Summer Flies said...

They both look fabulous and much better on than off! I'm sure recipients will be thrilled! And yes where is December going???

Sue said...

What a great gift - I am sure the recipients will love these jackets!

Karin said...

These are lovely! I am sure anyone would be delighted to get one of these for Xmas. Great job!

gwensews said...

Those are wonderful jackets and whoever gets them will be thrilled! I would love to get one, for sure!

Gorgeous Things said...

You did a fabulous job on both of them! I really love the Floral print. What lucky recipients!!

alethia said...

You did a great job on the jackets.

Jane M said...

Wow, how very thoughtful and creative you are. These are terrific jackets and even more special because of your good design sense.

Linda said...

Great looking jackets; I am sure the recipients will truly appreciate the jackets. I love the floral one the best, so tropical looking.

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

great jackets, you have a way with color and fabric combos!

Mary said...

beautiful, creative, and well crafted. :-)

Joy said...

What a fun design. At least they're not fitted garments, so hopefully the fit works well.

Handmade said...

Lovely design and great fabric choices - they look great = perfect gift!!

Bri said...

#2 is my favorite, but I'm a sucker for a good print and the color combination is fantastic. Is the lining on #1 totem poles? Thats what it reminded me of anyways! Both are well done, what fabulous presents for some lucky people!

kathy said...

It's so difficult not to post photos of your handmade gifts- the people they are intended for appreciate hand-made and are likely to be lurking to get a pre-christmas flash.
These jackets will definitely see some wear. Flattering cut.

Just a question: what are you sewing for your boys? They are at that age when it's difficult to make things they will enjoy.

Irene said...

The jackets look amazing! When do you find time to make such things for gifts?

Caroline said...

oh, these jackets are great. I especially like the first one with the printed lining.

Uta said...

That pattern has really lovely lines. I hope the recipients know how lucky they are to get such amazing jackets!

Lisette M said...

Both jackets are very beautiful, I'm sure the recipients will love them.

Sandra said...

Speaking as a Canadian - I DO recognize the lining on jacket number 1! I used that exact fabric (same colourway) for pajama pants for my son!
Small world...

Gabrielle said...

These jackets look so much nicer on you than they do on the pattern envelope... they look really well made too, and I'm sure the recipients will be delighted.

Sue said...

Shannon, you have done such lovely work with the jackets. I'm sure those who receive them will understand the care that went into the selection of fabrics and the sewing.
Happy Christmas to you and your family!

Carolyn said...

Oooh, how gorgeous are those jackets?! They look just wonderful. I completely love the asymmetrical detailing... You have some very lucky ladies in your family, that is for sure :D

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Great jackets! I love your choices on the fabrics, and am eager to hear how the recipients enjoy them.

Kyle said...

Aloha! How generous of you to sew Christmas gifts! Great job!

I too am wondering why time is marching on so quickly!!! If time is moving quickly in Hawaii then we are all in trouble. ;)

Myra said...

Very nice gifts! You're going to make someone extremely happy!!