Sunday, December 18, 2011

Surprise...It's Another Set

Aloha Everyone!  Thank you for taking the time to comment on my latest two gift posts.  I am really enjoying sewing gifts this year.  I'm also using a lot of fabric from my stash, which I'm pretty excited about.  Can you guess why?  You got it, more space for new acquisitions.  But that will have to wait until after Christmas, when I can concentrate again and plan out some "me" sewing in the coming year.  Woo Hoo! 
Here is the latest gift set.  I've made the top before.  It's Jalie 2794.  I used a black cotton lycra and made the size "u".  The skirt is New Look 6735, view E, and it is made with a printed matte jersey from Jo-Ann's, which I ordered online some time ago, and it is a size 14.  Both fabrics are a nice medium weight, so they will be good for winter wear.  I can just imagine this outfit with opaque black tights and knee high boots.  The perfect topper might be a fitted jacket.
   Here are some close-ups of the details:

I used my sewing machine, serger, and coverstitch machine to complete these garments.  I am thankful I have all three machines at my disposal.  The skirt has six panels and an elastic waistband.  I get the best results, when sewing matter jersey, when I just use my sewing machine and serger.  The top did best being constructed with my serger, because it tended to stretch out of shape with my sewing machine.  I also stabilized the shoulder seams with interfacing before I stitched them together. 

Besides sewing this weekend, my DH and I attended a 3 hour Christmas concert in Wailuku at the Iao Theater on Saturday night, just like last year.  I wore this outfit.  Once again, it was a spectacular show, and I felt privileged to be able to attend.  Tomorrow is baking and decorating Christmas cookies with friends.  Hope everyone has a fun-filled week no matter what you are doing!
Starry Starry Night by Maui's Hawaiian Community Choir Na Leo Lani O Maui

19 comments:

Karin said...

The sweetheart neckline and details really make the top.
I love going to Christmas shows. This one looks lovely.
Have fun cookie baking!

Uta said...

That's a very cute outfit. And nothing, really, beats wearing knits top-to-toe, right? More room for cookies. Happy baking!

Lori said...

Very pretty outfit. Isn't it so nice to have different machines to use? Have fun baking, hoping to do that Wednesday or Thursday here, girls will be out of school.

Faye Lewis said...

Great work and a lovely ensemble.

Mary said...

I love this set with its bright colors against the black, and the sweetheart neckline. Have fun baking today.

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

great outfit. you do such a fantastic job on knit.

Amanda S. said...

You are so awesome to make so many of your gifts! I plan to do that every year and it never happens. BUT this year I purposefully did not buy a big gift for my sister so that I would be forced to make her the silk skirt I planned. It's already cut out - hurray! We are going to a concert, too, and I'm looking forward to it. Merry Christmas!

Bri said...

Sewing gifts is so fun and this one is lovely once again!
(I'm making a friend an apron out of a retro print comic strip style print!)

Texan said...

Cute outfit, I like that top really well. Your certainly getting a lot of gifts made! I finally managed to get a top made myself but it was not a gift lol it was for me :O).

AngelatheCreativeDiva said...

That's a nice outfit. I love the sweetheart neckline and I'm mad for the colours in the skirt.

Marie said...

Looks great. Do you mix up your sets that you make, or pair them up in the sets that you made them? Just curious.

velosewer said...

That's a lovely gift set. I've had all three machines on the go this week as well.
Have fun baking this week.

Sue said...

A really nice outfit. It will look great with tights and boots.
The Jalie patterns are so good. Have your tried their panel skirt patten?
That's really good too.

Vanessa said...

I like the outfit you made! The skirt is beautiful, and I imagine it will drape nicely. Besides, what is more special than a handmade gift?

gwensews said...

What a pretty skirt and top. You are so good to give it away. Have a blessed Christmas and Happy New Year!

fabric epiphanies said...

A really nice and practical outfit. I am picking the recipient doesn't read your blog...lol!

I have a love hate relationship with my coverstitch, but I am getting there!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

What a great set! This is such a lovely gift.

Irene said...

What a lovely outfit!

Caroline said...

This is very nice! I'm with you about the "me" sewing next year.... :)