Friday, December 30, 2011

Butterick 5566 Sort of...

Well hello again!  Hope everyone survived, and maybe even thrived over the past week!  Just one day left and we start a New Year.  Hooray!  I'm sure there will be plenty of sewing adventures for all of us.  Speaking of sewing, technically the skirt you will see below is derived from Butterick 5566, view C, but it doesn't look like the original. 

To begin, I really liked the asymmetrical yoke front, but I had my doubts whether it would fit me properly.  I felt that there might be too much of a curve where all the seams joined, and one other pattern reviewer on patternreview.com confirmed my suspicions as well.  However, how would I know for sure unless I sewed up the front and checked it out?  Sure enough it was no good, but what I discovered was that the center front of the skirt worked pretty well on my hips, so I made another front piece (laying the pattern tissue upside down so that I had a mirror image).  This became the other side of the skirt.  So the original side seams now became my front and back seams, creating a neat geometrical effect on the front, side, and back of the skirt. 
New Front.  Waistband finished with a thick wide satin ribbon.
New Back with a centered zipper from my stash and a hook and eye at the top.
New Left Side of Skirt
Inside of skirt front.
I had to do some tweaking to get the original sides seams to work for the skirt front and back, but in the end I think it came out okay.  I still have bulky seams because my fabric is so heavy, but I plan to replenish my suppy of Pro-Weft interfacing and fuse the seams flat to the skirt.  Do you think that will work?  I plan to wear this skirt with the two sweaters pictured below.  I bought them for $10.00 a piece at Old Navy a few months ago.  I purchased the skirt fabric (from Fabric Mart) specifically to go with either of these sweaters.  It feels good to be able to wear them now and to have this project complete.

In other sewing news, I still have a couple of Christmas projects to show you, so those will be coming up.  Also, the clothes I made as gifts, fit the recipients.  Woo Hoo!  I was so happy to hear this news.  I really enjoyed putting those projects together.  I also celebrated my birthday this past week, and my DH blessed me with a new camera and tripod.  Very cool!  Now I just have to learn how to use them properly so that my photography skills can improve!  Happy New Year Everyone!

25 comments:

Jane M said...

Love how you have a "new angle" on this skirt. It looks wonderful with those sweaters. Happy belated birthday and happy new year!

Andrea said...

Your version is so much nicer than the pattern version! It's a great match for those sweaters, too. Happy New Year!

gwensews said...

Nice lines on that skirt. It fits you perfectly. I like the version with the draped front also.

Lori said...

Beautiful skirt, I like your changes. Happy Birthday late and enjoy your new camera.

Lisa said...

The seamlines on this skirt are beautiful .Happy New year xx

Irene said...

A belated Happy Birthday!
A very novel solution to making your skirt work. Looks great. As for the bulky intersections ... have you tried pressing them down with a clapper? If you don't have a clapper any (clean and smooth) piece of unfinished wood will do. Steam the area (wrong side up) and immediately press down with the clapper. Really put your weight on it. Hold for a minute or two. Let dry and cool. Any impressions can be steamed out after. Try on a sample piece first, if you're worried. Works for me.
Have a wonderful New Year!

KID, MD said...

What a brilliant way to solve that fit problem!! I think it looks great and it goes well with both sweaters. I hope you have a great New Year with lots of sewing successes in 2012.

Kyle said...

I don't know if your fabric is suitable for this, but at the jeans seminar at the ASE, Angela Wolf says she hammers down the bulk which makes it flat. I did that with my corduroy jumper and it worked (and it is kind of fun to hammer the fabric)! So maybe sew together some of the scraps and try it out?

Your work is always gorgeous and perfect.

Happy New Year!!

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

I love how you made the changes to this skirt and it looks lovely on you! Happy New Year!

Mary said...

You look great in these 2 outfits-as always! I have weighted seams down overnight with tiles and books. Press until warm and then lay tiles and books on the area to be flattened. Remove the next morning.

I have also used fusible tape to hold down and weight seams on a skirt.

Happy New Year!!

Mary Nanna said...

Great skirt - love it especially with the stripey top as it is both modern and chic. I was about to say "use a clapper on the seams" but I see someone else has beaten me to it. My guess it will work better than fusing as it will still allow the seams movement.

Karin said...

The seam lines make the skirt, well obviously, but you know what I mean! I am sure that I read a tip somewhere about fusing interfacing to the opened seam allowances on pants to make them lie flat and skim the hips, so i think the proweft will work.
I'm glad to hear that all your presents fit! Well done, you.

fabric epiphanies said...

That skirt is really nice. Whipping it around so that the sides become the front and back was a stroke of genius.

Happy New Year (it is already 2012 in NZ)and Happy Birthday.

Uta said...

Happy birthday, and Happy New Year! Very clever twist on the skirt; it will be a great staple for your wardrobe!

Janine said...

Happy birthday to a fellow capricorn and happy New year. You always sew such lovely clothes and also look so good in them too. Thanks for your support during the year. I have a question though - do you need to wear cooler weather clothing in Hawaii much as I got the impression that the temperatures were always well perfect - not too hot or cold .

Kat said...

The skirt goes really well with the sweaters, good work! And a happy new year to you too.

Look forward to seeing your adventures with your new camera!

velosewer said...

Happy belated birthday and Happy New Year. The skirt really works this way. The skirt looks like it will be a staple now.

Sue said...

Great skirt - very innovative thinking. It goes very well with your sweaters. Best wishes for a great 2012!

sewing spots said...

Love the skirt and its modifications! It looks great on you. Happy birthday!

Joy said...

Happy New Year! and Happy Birthday! The skirt looks great with both sweaters - isn't it nice to envision something you need and then...make it?

Myra said...

Happy Belated Birthday and Happy New Year too! This is a really nice skirt...I have this pattern too and have not made it yet. Great job Shannon!

Carolyn said...

A lovely and very useful little skirt... it does go beautifully with your new tops!

My best belated birthday wishes Shannon, and also for a fruitful and fulfilling 2012, hoping this is a wonderful year for you!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

How clever to rotate the skirt 90 degrees for a better fit! That would never have occurred to me. Looks great with the sweaters.

Caroline said...

I think the best part of handmade gifts is feedback from the recipient. I always feel like something is missing if I don't hear any kind of comment, like, "Why didI bother?" your skirt is lovely! And grass sledding!! That sounds like so.much.fun!!

Cennetta said...

Great looking skirt. I really like the changes you made.