Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Butterick 4347

Four days and counting....and I have one more family gift to make today.  Almost there!  Today I'd like to share Butterick 4347.  I made this for my sister who is six feet tall.  The pattern went together easily with just my serger and my coverstitch machine.  I made one small error where the collar meets the side seam under the arm.  As you can see from the pattern envelope there should be more room to turn the collar down, but in my version there is quite a bit less room.  I think it will still be okay functionally however.  I see I also didn't pay attention to which way the front crossed.

The fabric is a stretch, cotton, french terry from The Fabric Fairy in a heathered mauve color.  They still have a heathered blue version, which I am thinking of getting for myself.  I am very happy with the quality and I like how stretchy it is.  Because the front is double layered and has a high neckline, this sweatshirt should be toasty warm.  With my sister being so tall, I lengthened the torso by 2" and also lengthened the sleeves by the same.  I also gave her a little more room in the armscye by only taking up a 1/4" shoulder seam allowance.  That meant I also had to add some length to the collar.  I will see how my adjustments worked when she reports back to me :)  Hope everyone is staying healthy, happy, and excited for December 25th!

18 comments:

Sheila said...

Cute blouse and like the cross over neckline.

Bri said...

I bet other than you mentioning your boo boo no one would notice!!! This jacket turned out lovely, but everything you make is, what a lucky sister you have!

P.S

Six feet is not that tall, I'm just under!

Faye Lewis said...

Nice top. I've had that same pattern for a while, I think you inspired me.

Marie said...

Lovely top. I hope your sister likes it.

Uta said...

That's a really great basic top!

velosewer said...

This is a lovely style. I can see you getting one for yourself. Cheers.

Karin said...

How nice to have a custom made top! I think it looks just fine to have the cross over flip-flopped.

Aminat said...

Love the top, the cross over is very cute...

Texan said...

Its real cute, it looks grey on my computer screen and well I love it cuz I love grey!

I complain about finding jeans for my long legs, I am betting at 6 feet tall its a real toot finding them!

Sew Country Chick said...

You are so amazing to make all these gifts! That's a great top for winter!

kathy said...

I have deep goals to do some garment sewing - especially knits - this new year. I like this top and I could see my sister wearing it in MN.

Happy Happy Holidays.

Carolyn said...

Gorgeous colour! I'm sure your sister will love that you are giving her a custom-made Christmas present!

Irene said...

What a lovely top! Such a wonderful present!

Mary said...

Great present!! I love tops like this and the fabric is a perfect match for the style.

Vanessa said...

This is so nice!! I'm sure your sister will like it!

Handmade said...

Great top, your family must love your presents! Hope you have a lovely Christmas Shannon!

Sue said...

That is a really useful, flattering top pattern.
The neckline is neither high nor low and the gentle crossover curves are lovely.

Caroline said...

This does look lovely and comfy! I generally am afraid to make garments for others but maybe I should follow your example ...