Thursday, October 20, 2011

Simply Cheerful

Aloha dear readers!  I have a new outfit to show you.  I think working with gray the past 3-4 weeks caused me to gravitate to some of the most cheerful fabric in my stash for this next project.  The complexity of the jacket also relegated me to a Burda Start 3 pattern for the top.  I have made this t-shirt pattern before and I love the fit.  The two patterns I used are Kwik Sew 3152 and Burda 3197.  The skirt is made from a cotton lawn from FFC and has a swiss dot lining from Fabric.com.  When I purchased the cotton lawn earlier this year, I had tried to find a perfect shade of blue for a matching top.  No luck.  However, I did find the perfect shade of blue at my local Old Navy where I purchased two XXL, men's, $5.00 t-shirts to cull the fabric from. 
The Burda t-shirt pattern is super easy, but must be pretty old.  It has facing pieces to finish the neckline.  I did not use them, but finished my neckline with self-fabric binding after I trimmed it by 3/8" all the way around.  In the future I will probably trim it another 1/4".  The pattern also instructs you to set in the sleeves.  I attached mine flat, then sewed up the side seam and sleeve seam together. 
The Kwik Sew skirt pattern is also extremely easy.  However, instead of inserting a center zipper at the side seam, I put mine in as a lapped zipper.  I happened to have an old blue zipper in my stash, otherwise I would have put in an invisible zipper.  I also lined the lower portion of the skirt since the cotton lawn was so light weight. 
 Here is the super comfy, cheerful, busy mom of three outfit!

I've finished this post with 15 minutes left to spare before the start of Project Runway.  I can't believe they are down to the final four.  I am off to get my appetizers together for the show :)  Thank you all for visiting and for your lovely comments on my Burda jacket!

24 comments:

NĂ³ra said...

What a lovely colours and I love your petticoat.

Lisa said...

I love turquoise with red , your outfit is lovely and Summery . If only we weren't in the depths of Winter here !!

pdiddly said...

Very pretty, I have done the same as you and bought xxl tankers to use as fabric.

Eugenia said...

I love the colour combination - very cheerful and fun looking. These two garments make a wonderful outfit!

Linda said...

You definitely look like a cheerful Mom! Great color combinations. I like the idea of the xxl tanks, I need to keep that in mind.

knottygnome said...

what a cute skirt! i love those colors. (and your jacket is fabulous, btw!)

KID, MD said...

Cute, cute, cute!! I love the bright colors! Perfect to lift the fall doldrums (if you get those in Hawaii...).

Renee said...

I love a t-shirt and skirt combo - yours looks fantastic.

Karin said...

Really lovely! I'm sure you'll get loads of use out of it. It's a perfect pallet cleanser after a tricky project like your jacket.

Alexandra said...

This is lovely! have a great weekend.

AngelatheCreativeDiva said...

I love the colours. Seems we both did the sort of t-shirt "refashion" .

Vanessa said...

Your skirt is perfect! I love the fit at the waist, and the way it hangs. Very pretty outfit.

Kyle said...

Such a nice outfit and you know I approve of the color of the shirt!

Irene said...

A really lovely "happy" outfit. You certainly couldn't feel "blue" when wearing this! Love it.

Carolyn said...

Very cheerful, and it does look easy to wear and comfy too! I adore that lovely spotty lining you have chosen, this is just lovely. So much prettier and more fun to wear than the usual plain lining; this is a great idea!

sewing spots said...

I just love this outfit! Very cute. You can also take just 1 XXL men's t-shirt and refashion it--I think Pamela's Patterns has a pattern on how to do this. They turn out really well. A friend has done lots of them.

gwensews said...

What a pretty outfit! Great color. Love your little "slip". My go-to Tshirt pattern is a Stretch&Sew pattern from the 70s!

Joy said...

I agree it's a cheery outfit. The lawn is so pretty.

The first t-shirt I ever made (and strangely I'm wearing it right now) has a facing. I usually would do a binding, too, but the faced edge is quite nice now that I trimmed away all the extra facing which was flopping around.

Ann's Fashion Studio said...

So cheery...Love the colors and style.

mom said...

Cute as the beautiful daughter wearing it! Another great job, Shannon. Love ~ mom

Victoria said...

Super cute skirt!!! Love the style and fun print! You look like a "Hip" Mommy of three:)

Myra said...

This is a really great outfit Shannon! This is what all busy moms need...comfort and style! Great job and what a great lining fabric too!!

Sew Country Chick said...

Sometimes it's a relief to make something simple and cute like this after making something really hard, isnr it? You have a perfect figure too!

Caroline said...

I love the pop of lining! And this is a cheerful "mom" outfit. I'm three weeks behind on project runway, so there are still 6 where I'm watching!