From the beginning, I didn't want to invest a lot of money into this jacket, since I hadn't made a muslin. I figured if it turned out okay, I would wear it in a casual way. The beautiful thing is, I am excited to make nicer jackets in the future. The discipline of completing this and the knowledge gained through Sherry's tutorial gave me the necessary tools to feel confident working with quality materials next time. Besides the near miss with my cuffs, I did make one other error at step 21, in the Burda instructions, which resulted in a raw edge on my front facing. I plan to seal it with Fray Check. Thankfully, it is barely noticeable and is hidden on the inside. Sherry tells how to bag a hem for the lining, but I ended up hand-sewing mine because I wasn't sure how to accommodate the back vent using this method. However I did finish my sleeve lining the way she recommended and that saved a lot of hand sewing.
I cut and sewed the size 36 (10) with no alterations. For the most part, it fits pretty good, but I do feel like I could use a little more room in the back of the shoulders in future versions. I also think this jacket could use a good professional pressing. Maybe that would help with some of the wrinkling in the princess seams on the front and at the armholes. I had to do quite a bit of easing in these areas.
Here is the completed jacket styled three casual ways:
|The t-shirt and shorts were made by me earlier in the year.|
|RTW skirt and camisole.|
|RTW top and jeans.|