Sunday, October 16, 2011

Burda 7421 - Three Ways to Style It

As promised, I am back.  My oldest DS and his team played an outstanding game this morning.  This weekend they are in a tournament and they have won all of their games.  The last game is today at 2:00 p.m., for the championship.  I played lots of sports in school, but never soccer competitively.  I need to read up on the rules, because I don't understand what contributes to being "offsides".  Anyway, this post is really about Burda 7421, a fitted jacket pattern with some very cool design details like welt pockets, princess seams, two-piece sleeves, and four button cuffs.  Click here to see the original inspiration for this jacket.  Sherry's RTW Sew-A-Long is what launched this project.  However, I quickly got behind.  It's only taken me 6 months to finish :)  But hey, I finished.   
Technical Drawing
This is the first jacket I have made since high school.  My fabric is inexpensive, cotton, gray pincord and the lining is Bemberg rayon.  I didn't have real wadding for the shoulders so I used batting.  I also didn't have professional shoulder pads, so I used the only ones I could find at one of my local fabric shops.  They are half-inch foam pads.  I used Pro-Weft fusible interfacing from Fashion Sewing Supply.  I didn't block fuse my fabric, but applied interfacing according to the pattern directions.  My buttons came from an Etsy seller (JunkyardGenes) who had a great price on several cards of old black and gray buttons.  I really like how these look on my jacket.   

From the beginning, I didn't want to invest a lot of money into this jacket, since I hadn't made a muslin. I figured if it turned out okay, I would wear it in a casual way.  The beautiful thing is, I am excited to make nicer jackets in the future.  The discipline of completing this and the knowledge gained through Sherry's tutorial gave me the necessary tools to feel confident working with quality materials next time.  Besides the near miss with my cuffs, I did make one other error at step 21, in the Burda instructions, which resulted in a raw edge on my front facing.  I plan to seal it with Fray Check.   Thankfully, it is barely noticeable and is hidden on the inside.  Sherry tells how to bag a hem for the lining, but I ended up hand-sewing mine because I wasn't sure how to accommodate the back vent using this method.  However I did finish my sleeve lining the way she recommended and that saved a lot of hand sewing. 

I cut and sewed the size 36 (10) with no alterations.  For the most part, it fits pretty good, but I do feel like I could use a little more room in the back of the shoulders in future versions.  I also think this jacket could use a good professional pressing.  Maybe that would help with some of the wrinkling in the princess seams on the front and at the armholes.  I had to do quite a bit of easing in these areas.   

Here is the completed jacket styled three casual ways:
The t-shirt and shorts were made by me earlier in the year.
RTW skirt and camisole.

RTW top and jeans.

Back View

Lining
Side View
Well, thanks again for sticking with me through this project.  And to answer your question Sheila, I plan to make a tailored vest, (I can't believe I'm saying this!) with the black imitation leather fabric.  Hope you all are having a splendid weekend.  Aloha!
 

42 comments:

Kyle said...

Your jacket looks fantastic! It doesn't look like it needs more shoulder room to me. I don't remember the Hawaiian word for good, but I remember if it was food, it would be ono!

Good luck to your son with his game this afternoon!

Mary said...

Well done!! I like it in all the ways you styled it, but especially with the jeans. Just lovely work...

Texan said...

It looks super, love it with your jeans and white blouse! I am a jeans gal :O)

Linda T said...

great fitting lovely jacket - and it's perfect in all the styled ways!

Victoria said...

Gorgeous jacket and you picked 3 great ways to style it. You're going to get such a great use of it!

mom said...

L@@KS like you bought it right off the rack in the finest of stores! Great Job! Like the look of it with the jeans. Lovin' you ~ mom

Ann's Fashion Studio said...

Great job on your jacket! It looks awesome with the jeans and white shirt :)

Myra said...

Great jacket Shannon!! You did an outstanding job on it and I have to agree with some of your other subcribers...you rock in those jeans with that jacket!!!

Lori said...

Great job staying with this project and finishing it. You have a beautiful jacket to show for it. I like all your styled outfits but my favorite is the jeans.

Irene said...

I'm so glad that you finished this jacket. It looks wonderful! I'm sure that you will find even more ways to wear it than you've shown.

kathy said...

I liked this longer jacket with the jeans the best and then added with the skirt when you added the side view.
Cool jacket pattern, I like all the details.
It probably feels really good to finish this project.

Renee said...

Well done! I think it looks fantastic and I hope you love wearing it.

Faye Lewis said...

You did a really great job on the jacket. Love your style variations.

Jane M said...

Bravo! Your jacket looks wonderful and it's so versatile. Enjoy al the ways you an wear this new addition.

Mary Nanna said...

You made such a professional job of that - you must be so proud of your efforts. Love it styled every which way.

Angie said...

It is a phantastic work! It looks greats on you, especially with the jeans and the shorts. If you will sew annother one you have to watch the shoulders when you take annother kind of fabric, specially wool or tweed or something like this.
Have a lot of fun wearing it!
LG
Angie

Karin said...

It's wonderful! It really does seem to go with everything. My favourite is with jeans and a crisp white shirt.

Kat said...

I especially love it with jeans!

This is a really great shape - well done on a lovely fit. The extra length makes it a "little bit different" too :-)

Marie said...

You have created such a wonderfeul garment there - the jacket looks fantastic.

I totally get the feeling of wanting to complete another jacket after following Sherry's sewalong. It made me feel empowered with sewing jackets anyway.

AnaJan said...

Gorgeous jacket! Love it styled up with jeans, but all three outfits are just lovely.

Sue said...

Great jacket!

Jen S said...

What a fantastic jacket that you have made. Love all the ways you have it styled, but fave by far is with your blue jeans and white shirt - so classic! Congrats.

Janine said...

well done- I think you should make more jackets !Your jacket doesn`t look like you used cheap material at all. Thanks for the link - I will use this for my upcoming jacket.

Audrey said...

Super looking jacket. I am glad it was such a success and that you are pumped to make more. I khow what off sides is, but I had to ask why everyone was calling "man on" in my son's soccer game on Saturday.

gwensews said...

That jacket will go many miles, if your climate allows. It looks terrific. Nice sewing! And congrats on not giving up on it, but taking it to the finish line.

Amanda S. said...

Lovely! Congratulations on finishing your first tailored jacket. They are a bit addictive, I'm sure we'll be seeing more.

Ginnie said...

Super cute! And I love, love, LOVE it with jeans!

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

very successful! looks great on you.

sewingkm said...

I agree with Amanda that sewing jackets is addictive. You've mastered the skills so I know we'll be seeing more fabulous jackets on your blog.

Alexandra said...

I love your jacket, it looks fantastic!!

Lisa said...

That is a beautiful jacket and I love the styling.

Bernice said...

Well done for getting your jacket finished. It looks great in all the outfits you've created. Look forward to seeing your leather vest!

Caroline said...

hmmm, hopefully goose will get better at soccer. his little u6 team tied their first game but lost all the others. Kevin is coaching them and is sooooo patient with those who need coddling and those who need refocusing. Goose is having fun anyway...

I really like this with the skirt and with jeans. It came out really well! I want to do a jacket like this sometime, but am afraid of it taking 6 months! I think yours is definitely "wearable" and probably no one will think "handmade"

hmmm, what could these lovely new fabrics be for?

Gorgeous Things said...

Beautiful job!!!!!

Lisette M said...

Congratulations! Don't you feel good now that you are finished and you can enjoy the result of all your hard work? I like all the different ways you styled it.

Handmade said...

Shannon, that jacket is superb - great design, great workpersonship! Love it with the white blouse and jeans!

Carolyn said...

Very successful! It looks great on you!
Shannon, I've passed on to you the versatile bloggers award. There is no obligations to anything if you don't want, but if you do the details are on my blog here
http://handmadebycarolyn.blogspot.com/2011/10/photography-is-seamstress-friend.html

Sherry said...

You have done a fantastic job! I'm really glad you found value in the sewalong - and that you hope to make another jacket one day. Have I got you hooked?!

Julia said...

Very stylish jacket and I love this tutorial.

leather bags

Sheila said...

You did an awesome job and the jacket looks great on you.... Luv all the variations.

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

Love, love, love the jacket!

A Sewn Wardrobe said...

Love the dress with jeans especially. Wonderful job on this! It looks amazing.