Monday, October 3, 2011

Burda 7421 Progress

I am glad you all enjoyed the little sewing break in my last post.  I did too, but ever since, it's been back to the sewing machine with every spare minute I've managed to scrape up.  Wow, that sounds dramatic :)  Hehe.  Okay, joking aside, I have made progress on Burda 7421, the jacket I started for Sherry's RTW Tailoring Sew-A-Long back in March, I think.  Here is a reminder of the pattern:
I am really glad I didn't give up on this project, because I like how it is turning out, and I do appreciate that it is stretching my sewing skills and requiring me to exercise patience.  Now that the momentum is going, I don't want to stop.  I plan on seeing it through to the finish before I allow myself to start a new fashion sewing project.  I hope you will bear with me.

I have just finished the collar and side seams this evening.  My collar/lapel is not perfect, but overall I'm happy with it.  I have a little bit of puckering on one side where the collar joins the lapel.  I realize what I did wrong after reading Sherry's excellent instructions on this portion of the jacket construction.  Uhmm...I should have read them before I began construction!  I needed to leave a little gap where the upper collar joins with the lapel.  You can read more about that here at Sherry's blog.  (I have used Pro-Weft fusible interfacing from Fashion Sewing Supply throughout this jacket, and I am really happy with how it is looking.)  It's funny, my first welt pocket turned out really nice, but I struggled with the second.  I have to admit, I am kind of glad that the fabric wasn't too expensive ($5.00/yd.), because there will definitely be some imperfections.  Okay, here is the current state of the jacket.  I have the hem, sleeves, lining and buttonholes left to construct.  I feel like I've made it through the toughest parts, so I am hoping the rest is all downhill. 
In other sewing news, I have been taking short breaks on the jacket to work on new bags for my shop.  The holiday season is just around the corner and I am trying to keep my inventory well stocked!  Here are some fun and eye-catching new prints. 
In non-sewing news,the Maui County Fair was this past weekend.  The boys always love going.  I giggle at how small it is, having been to large state fairs and commercial theme parks.  But my boys don't have anything to compare it to...yet, so they are always thrilled.  Aloha!
Maui County Fair 2011

9 comments:

A Sewn Wardrobe said...

Good luck finishing the rest of your jacket. Really looking forward to seeing the final garment. It will be wonderful!

Irene said...

Your jacket is looking very good. Can't wait to see the final results!

Jane M said...

It's not always easy to pick up a sewing prject after a while so bravo for your persistence. Your jacket is taking shape beautifully. I'm still intimidated by welt pockets and I think yours look wonderful.

Faye Lewis said...

That is going to be a SHARP jacket.

Karin said...

I think your jacket looks amazing so far! I was admiring the sharp lapel points and perfect welt pockets, and then I read your text. I really cannot see any of your errors in the jacket. It looks perfect so far to me! This will be fantastic when it is finished.

Myra said...

Shannon, this is a really nice jacket! What I've learned is our "imperfections" are rarely seen by anyone but us! Not to worry, this is definitely going to be nothing but a great jacket when completed! Love the color too!

Cennetta said...

Your jacket is looking good. I understand about pacing yourself on projects that require a lot of time. The bags look great too.

Kyle said...

Keep on keeping on with your jacket--it's looking GREAT so far! Congrats to you too about approaching PR review #100.

The last time I went on the Buccaneer I swore never again...just looking at that picture is making me a little nauseous! :)

Handmade said...

Your jacket is looking lovely - great pattern - great pockets!!!