Monday, October 10, 2011

Burda 7421 Progress Report 2

Hello everyone!  I'm just checking in to let you all know that I am still making progress on my Burda jacket.  As much as I desperately want to move on to something new, I am disciplining myself to stay focused only on this fashion sewing project.  I really love the jacket's design and want to see it through to completion.  The fit is off a little bit in the shoulders, but I think it will still be wearable.  This is my trial run of making the pattern, so I will need to make an adjustment in this area on future versions, once I've recovered from making this one ;) Here are the completed cuffs:
Aren't they cool?  I have also set in the sleeves.  This was not an easy task!  There was so much ease to squeeze into the armhole.  Even though I do not have any puckers, there is some wrinkling.  Argggh.  I've sewn and re-sewn them, and I am calling it good at this point.  Maybe with a wool the wrinkling would be less noticeable.  My fabric is mostly cotton.   

I am learning so much as I read Sherry's posts for each step listed in her RTW Tailoring Sew-A-Long.  All I have left to do is insert the shoulder pads and the grey Bemberg lining.  Then make the front buttonhole.  The next time you see this jacket I will be wearing it!

I had one, nearly fatal, mistake with the jacket this past week.  Without realizing it, I sewed my first cuff upside down.  Then I made all the buttonholes and CUT them.  When I discovered I had done this step wrong I nearly panicked.  I have long since thrown away any scraps I had of this fabric.  Thank goodness I only made one cuff and caught the mistake.  So instead of the cuffs being lined with the fashion fabric like the pattern recommends, I separated the two remaining cuff pieces and lined them with my rayon lining. 

Disaster averted...this time. 

 

21 comments:

Jane M said...

Those cuffs are fabulous and your jacket looks terrific. SO glad you were able to make that save in time!

Linda said...

This jacket is looking great. Glad you were able to save the cuff pieces.

A Sewn Wardrobe said...

This really looks amazing: the cuffs, the welt pocket, the sharp lapel. All your hard work will really be worth it!

Lori said...

Your jacket is looking fabulous, I saw the picture of the cuff and my first comment "wow, that is wonderful". Great save on the cuff.

Irene said...

So glad that you were able to save the cuffs. They look fabulous! I wish you an easy time of finishing off the jacket.

Texan said...

Its looking wonderful!

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

That is looking fantastic, love the collar/lapel shape and the cuffs. Did you put a sleeve header in the sleeves? that helps the sleeve cap to hold its shape and minimizes any wrinkling.
also the fabric is great - so wearable.

Karin said...

It looks fantastic! The cuff mistake must have been very discouraging, but your perseverance has paid off.

kathy said...

It's not a mistake if you catch it in time.
Your jacket is looking very nice.

Vanessa said...

Your jacket looks good so far! Way to hang in there! I am having the same challenge of hanging in there myself!

Bri said...

This jacket is beautiful, what an amazing job you are doing! No worries about the cuff, you were quick thinking and saved it!
For my bigger projects I always seem to have an almost disaster which I have come to accept as learning experiences!

Carolyn said...

It is looking absolutely beautiful!! And you are right about the shoulder caps, the wool will ease in a lot easier than cotton :)

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

This is awesome! Even though it's a lot of work you are going to be so happy with your finished garment. Looking forward to the final reveal!

Sherry said...

It's looking brilliant Shannon! The lapels look amazing. For the sleeve head you can sometimes get away with trimming the sleeve head 1/8 - 1/4" (no more!) on hard-to-ease fabrics like this. Lucky save on the cuffs - it just shows this jacket is meant to be!

Joy said...

It looks amazing, especially the fun cuffs.

I can commiserate on shoulder fitting. I made (threw together, rather) one coat for myself, but the shoulder fit is uncomfortable. For some reason, the alteration is not quite the same as in a shirt. It convinced me to try muslining the next one (:

Caroline said...

Oh, thank goodness for the cuff facing being the fashion fabric!! This sort of thing is when Kevin takes the project and the seam ripper from me and patiently unpicks my mistake. He's done that at least once. It looks really lovely!!

I always have to sew sleeve caps multiple times. So frustrating. I wonder if there is a trick to make them easier? I think yours looks fine and with the movement of a real person inside I doubt anyone will notice.

Rosy said...

Wow! This is a wonderful project that is worth all the effort and time spent on it! I'll watch for your updates, this aroused my interest much ....

j.kaori said...

This is going to be fabulous on you! And what a save with the cuff. I've found that jacket-making is all about perseverance -- and that the effort is well worth it in the end. Can't wait to see it!

Lisette M said...

The jacket really looks nice, I love the cuffs! Great save by the way!

Kyle said...

Jackets are definitely a lot of work. I haven't done one in a year!
Good job with your cuffs, they look cute. I like that fabric too.
Thanks again for the Sunny Gal Studio tips about invisible zips--I used it again tonight!

mom said...

...the fun of creation...you made it work!