Friday, October 28, 2011

Another Knit Combo

Aloha!  I think a simple knit top and skirt is one of my favorite combinations to wear here in Maui, and this look is so easy and satisfying to make.  This time I combined skirt B, without the pockets, from New Look 6875 with the knit top from New Look 6981.
For the top I used a medium-weight rayon-lycra knit in magenta from FFC.  I cut the size 10 and did not need to make any alterations.  The top has a pleat in the neckline on the front shoulder to add a little bit more drape to the cowl.  I like the cap sleeves.  The neckline and armholes are finished with self-fabric binding that has been turned to the inside and top-stitched down.  I used my coverstitch machine for the hem.   
The skirt is made from an ITY knit from Fabric.com.  This ITY knit is the last one I have out of several prints that I ordered earlier in the year.  Because I eliminated the pockets, this skirt has only two pieces, the front and the back.  I added one inch to the height of the waistband to give the skirt more length.  The waistband is finished with 1" wide elastic that was attached with a zigzag stitch then turned down and topstitched with my coverstitch machine.  So easy!
I look forward to more sewing this weekend.  Hope you are able to get in the sewing room too!  Aloha!

29 comments:

Marie said...

Love it. Looks comfortable but stylish at the same time.

Bri said...

This is very pretty! A great outfit for traveling too, light weight, no wrinkling, etc!

Also loving the skirt pattern!

Sew-4-Fun said...

Great outfit! I love easy sewing like this, as well as outfits that are easy to wear. Win, win.

MySummerTouch said...

Love this outfit - easy to wear, look stylish and relaxed at the same time! I'd wear it absolutely! Great job!

Bernice said...

Great outfit. Oufits seem like such a good idea - you never have to worry about trying to work out what to wear with each individual piece.

alethia said...

Great looking outfit

iacowgirl said...

Thank you for all your posts! This outfit is so becoming to you...as they all are, but I really like the style of top and colors of both. Beautiful job.

Faye Lewis said...

Mushy I love that easy breezy skirt and top combo. The colors look so tropical.

j.kaori said...

Great outfit -- the colors really make it a stand-out. I also have to comment that your jacket from a previous post turned out great! Congratulations on an impeccable job!

Mary said...

This is such a cute outfit on you-breezy, colorful and feminine. really wonderful.

Lori said...

Very cute outfit, Shannon, it looke great on you.

Shannon said...

I love this outfit! The colors and the print are gorgeous and the whole outfit looks perfect on you. Of course, I am jealous that you can wear this while I am desperatley looking for heavy winter fabrics and suitable patterns for cold weather!

Gorgeous Things said...

I just love the colors on you. I'm finishing up some not-so-easy sewing right now, then I'm going to finally make the Vogue 1250 dress for some easy!

Alexandra said...

This looks lovely!

Rosy said...

Wow! So comfortable and elegant at once. Love, love those colors and the print of the skirt is wonderful. Nice outfit!

kathy said...

I like your sandals. I can't recall seeing them before. Cute, easy outfit. Good job.
Our friends are leaving for Maui (Kaanapali (sp?)) this weekend for an entire month. I am so jealous.

Joy said...

Very pretty outfit. I like the cut on sleeves, or maybe you could say extra wide straps? Either way, it's a fun shoulder style with cowl.

Irene said...

Very cute! Love the cowl neckline on this top.

Kyle said...

Cute! I have that cowl pattern and have been thinking about giving it a whirl. Glad to see you made it!!

katherine h said...

The proportions on this outfit are just perfect. Gorgeous colour.

Carolyn said...

Nice outfit; looks comfy and gorgeous colours

gwensews said...

What a pretty top, and skirt. I love the color of the top, and it is perfect with the skirt.

Vanessa said...

Very nice, as always!

knottygnome said...

i love cowl neck tops like that. they are so flattering!

Caroline said...

What a pretty ensemble. I like your strappy sandals too.

Handmade said...

Fab outfit - suits you to a TEE!!

SEWN said...

The fit on your top is perfect. I love those colors on you.

Sue said...

This is such a lovely, summery outfit. Very flattering on you too.

Rachel said...

I've been looking back through your blog and wanted to comment on all of them but decided to just write that you are quite the sewist. You have real talent. Thanks for sharing your creations.