I used a mid-weight cotton plaid for this project. Using plaid was the hardest part, because I wanted to have the print match up nicely on the seams. That required extra cutting time. It also meant cutting out all my pieces on a single layer of fabric. The pattern has the finished hip and waist measurements printed on it. I trusted that they were accurate, and they were. I used the size 10 up to and through the hip, but then graded out to a 14 at the waist. I wanted the skirt to sit lower, and there was no way my waist would have fit into the size ten finished measurement! My skirt ended up landing right at my belly button and I am happy with that.
Here are the results:
The fly went together beautifully and the instructions were easy to follow. I did change the hem. It called for a narrow 5/8" hem, but I did a deep 2" hem. I also omitted step 14 where it said to ease in the skirt into the waistband. Since I significantly altered the waist size, this wasn't necessary. Remember how I said this would transition nicely from summer to fall. Here are couple ways I plan to wear this.
|Summer - You can find the blog post for the top here.|
|Fall - I've had both these rtw tops for years. I am so glad the green fleece vest matches the green in the skirt perfectly.|