Aloha Everyone. I'd like to say thanks to those of you who chimed in on the last outfit. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on how the two pieces worked together, or didn't. I really love being able to bounce ideas off of one another as we work through our creative process of sewing and designing.
This past week I have been working on bags for my shop. But I did manage to squeeze in a Hot Pattern's Sunshine Top. I am feeling a need for simple knit tops right now, so I may try to get several done in the next week or two. The first time I made this top I cut out a size 8. I thought it was a perfect fit at the time, but after having worn it a lot, I think the size 8 is just a tiny bit snug in the arms and shoulders. This time I decided to try the size 10. It is just a little bit too big. What I think I need to do is keep the neckline on the 8, but add about 3/8" to the shoulder seam and 3/8" to the width of the sleeve. Thankfully the size 10 is wearable. I am sure I will find it to be a little cooler too since it will let the breeze circulate with the extra space.
I used a 100% cotton jersey with a slub texture in hot pink that I bought from Fabric.com nearly two years ago. Even though I pre-washed it, I am hoping it shrinks a little bit more over time. I love the bright pop of color, and it works nicely with my grey, jersey, Burda, skirt. This pattern has excellent instructions and is easy to assemble. I made a 4 inch band at the bottom instead of the 3" band they recommend. I also cheated and didn't interface the neckband. I think I will interface my neckband on the next one, like I did with the first version I made, because by leaving it off I think the neckband stretched more that it probably would have if I had used it. I used my coverstitch machine to hem the sleeves.