I decided to break the pants roll and make up an older dress pattern I've had in my stash for quite a while. I had a cut of rayon batik from The Sewing Studio, which I picked up during their end of the season clear out last fall, that I felt would be perfect for this pattern. I made view A in a size 10, and only ended up taking the center back seam in about 1/2". This dress has about 2" of ease all around which I like. It feels cool and it's easy to move about in it. The only other design change I made was to set the straps on the back closer to the center so I wouldn't have to worry about them falling off my shoulders.
Let's talk about construction. The dress says "Easy Options" on the front, and this truly is an easy dress. The bodice front is cut on the bias and is the front and front facing once you fold it in half. Here is the drawing.
|New Look 6035 front bodice.|
Here is a close up of the front. The instructions would have you stitch the straps to the front of the dress once the bodice is finished, but I decided to sandwich them into the front and facing seam, then hand stitch them to the back. The back has interfacing which gives a bit more of a stable base to stitch the straps to, since you will want to stitch them so they are invisible to the outside.
In other sewing news...I have to show you another card of buttons I found on Etsy. I have no idea what I am going to do with them yet. But I fell in love with them. Oh the possibilities! Enjoy your weekend!