Tuesday, May 3, 2011

New Look 6910

Hello everyone!  Gosh, it feels good to check in with you.  My family arrived safely last Thursday, and it has been a whirlwind of activity ever since.  It will be fun to post, in the near future, some of the attractions we have visited so far.  But this morning I have a small block of time to share New Look 6910.  I made it from a Hawaiian cotton poplin that I found at our one and only Walmart.  There are several places to buy Hawaiian fabrics, but I don't think I saw this print anywhere but at this store.  I also fully lined the dress with a cotton, Swiss dot, voile from Fabric.com.  The pattern calls for lining on the bodice, but not on the skirt portion.  There was a lot of hand sewing to do on the lining.  I also opted to hand sew the top of the dress near the zipper to get both sides to match perfectly. 




New Look 6910 is a pattern for a princess seam sheath dress or one that has a full skirt with pleats.  I made view D, but I left off the bow detail on the front.  It also includes a pattern for a cropped, 3/4 sleeve, gathered neck, jacket with a wide collar.

I cut the size 10 based on the bust and waist measurements.  My alterations included taking 1/2" out of the front bodice piece, taking a tuck out of the armscyes so they wouldn't gape in the back, bringing in the back neckline about 1.5 inches, and  reducing the overall width of the bodice by approximately 2 inches, which I took out of the center back seam.  That meant I had to reset the pleats on the back of the skirt a couple of times to get them where I liked them.  I didn't notice when I made my muslin that I had the diagonal drag lines in the back along the sides, so I'm not sure if my lining is pulling here or if I need to make some kind of other alteration to get rid of those.  Overall I'm happy with the fit, particularly on the front bodice, which was my original goal.  In the future however, I will lengthen the front about an inch.  The dress is slightly raised in the front compared to the back.

Here are some detail shots:
Invisible Zipper
Skirt Lining


What a comfortable summery dress.  Even though the print and color is quite different from what I normally gravitate toward, I will certainly enjoy wearing this dress.  And how about those shoes?  Love them!

On a final note, I just wanted to show you these gorgeous cards I won from a Smoking Needle's give-away.  Thank you so much KMQ!  I absolutely love them!

41 comments:

Little Hunting Creek said...

What a pretty dress! It looks great on you

Trudy Callan said...

That is the perfect summer dress. I just love the print on the fabric.

Faye Lewis said...

Yes, that is my idea of a great summer dress too. What did you use to line it with?

Karin said...

This is the perfect, traditional sun dress. Great fit and I love the classic tropical floral print. The light blue really suits your colouring as well.

Cennetta said...

Lovely sun dress. The look is fresh and breezy.

Mary Nanna said...

Your dress is SO pretty - hope you get lots of wear out of it!

Rosy said...

Wow! how cute summer dress! the form of the skirt is absolutely great and you got the drawings coincide fully, love, love.

KID, MD said...

Pretty, summery dress! I love the print and the colors are very flattering. The fit looks really wonderful, too.

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

really pretty, love the color.

Victoria said...

Beautiful dress--I love the colors and style. Congrats on your win.

gwensews said...

Stunning! It is a perfect dress for a beautiful lady and exotic land!

A Sewn Wardrobe said...

This is my favorite style: fitted bodice, flared skirt. I'll have to look up this pattern.

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

Terrific dress and I absolutely love the shoes. I was wondering if you had gotten the cards. I'm glad uou like them. Enjoy.

Ann's Fashion Studio said...

I love this style and the fabric is just so pretty!

Kyle said...

Love your "not over the top" aloha wear!
Can't wait to see the Hawaiianna!

Cindy said...

I love the dress. The insides look as nice as the outsides!

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

What a pretty dress!

Mary said...

That's about the prettiest dress I've seen-of course, you wear it so well!

Amy said...

Beautiful dress and nice work again! The shoes I'm loving too!

Lori said...

Very pretty dress. sounds like you are having a great time with your family.

Handmade said...

Super cute little dress - very YOU!!

Carolyn said...

It looks really lovely! Thank you so much for that link to the bridesmaids dress, I will go over and check it out. Are you interested in it too?
I hope you enjoy your time with your family!

Pin Queen said...

What a fab print you found for this dress, it looks great on you and I especially like the colours. I always look forward to your posts and oh, that beautiful scenery! I hope you have a lovely time with your family.

Nóra said...

You're so pretty in this dress and I like this fabric, too.

Uta said...

So pretty; I love this shade of blue!

Lindsay T said...

Fresh and pretty dress! I bet you get featured on the New Look Facebook page with it.

knottygnome said...

what a gorgeous dress! i love the print.

Shari said...

Beautiful dress! Love the fabric.

Caroline said...

Shannon! I love this! it fits you really well. I'm not noticing any flaws but we are hard on ourselve,s aren't we? And you found the fabric at walmart? fantastic! And the shoes are quite lovely too. Hope you continue to have a fantastic visit.

Ruth said...

Beautiful dress! I enjoyed reading about your fitting alterations, and I love seeing the pics of the inside. The dress is lovely, perfect for summer.

Joy said...

Very pretty dress - it's fun to see the very classic style in an unclassic print.

It looks like you're getting an excellent fit. I find it useful to read about your changes since I tend to have the same fit issues.

nette said...

awww, you look so beautiful in this dress Shannon! AND these shoes! I LOVE THEM!!! :)

Texan said...

I am way behind on blog reading with the floor project we have going..

Your dress turned out so lovely! and I like the shoes!

Sue said...

You've done such a beautiful job with matching the pattern. The dress looks lovely on you, the shoes are fab!

j.kaori said...

Beautiful dress!

Pam~Off The Cuff ~ said...

Fabulous dress! Love love love the fabric..and what you did with it!

Myra said...

WOW, how did I miss this goregous dress??!! This would have been perfect for Mother's Day!! I love, love, love it!

Josephine said...

Wow, what a gorgeous version of this dress. I'm attempting to make this dress (version D too), but I'm stuck. I'm stuck on the step explaining how to insert the zipper. Did you find the instructions confusing for this step?

Lisa said...

What a pretty dress. It's perfect I adore that colour in the background of the print .

amber said...

I have been a very bad blog friend and not been commenting. Boo to me. :( This dress is just lovely! The shape is really perfect on you. I vote to make another one!

Ren @theredwren said...

This is lovely on you! I'm getting ready to make this for a wedding next month and your review was great!