Friday, May 20, 2011

New Look 6032 and 6078

One's a winner and the other, well not so much, but that is partly my fault since I didn't make a muslin.  Hello everybody.  I was able to finish both concert dresses last week and the girls looked lovely and played beautifully at their performance.  With that project complete, I was able to work on and complete the outfit I had envisioned and mentioned in my last post.  I ended up choosing a knit top pattern from New Look 6078 and am really happy with it, but the skirt from New Look 6032 is disappointing for a couple of reasons which I will talk about below. 
I made View C from New Look 6032 and View B from New Look 6078.
  Here is the completed outfit.  I love the black, red, white color combination.

The Top:
I'll talk about the top first.  Basically I cut a size 10 but kept the size 12 for the shoulder seams.  It is made out of a modal knit purchased here.  It has a lovely drape and is very soft.  There are three pieces, one front and two back.  I was able to match the stripes on the center back seam and side seams.  I used my coverstitch machine to hem the neckline, sleeves, and bottom.  I did this by turning each under 5/8" then trimming the excess.  From my experience with this top, I decided to finish the front and back neckline before I stitched my shoulder seams together.  I am happy with the results.  The neckline looks flawless.  Here are a couple of close-ups of the top.   I see more of these in my future!

The Skirt:
Now lets talk about the skirt.  I made it out of a mid-weight rayon/linen blend in black.  I inserted an invisible zipper instead of a centered back zipper.  I cut a size 12 based on measuring the tissue at the waist.  I realized this would only be minimally helpful since the yoke is cut on the bias, and would inevitably stretch to some degree.  I ended up taking in the side seams an extra 1/2" and the waist is still slightly big.  I used Pro-Weft from Fashion Sewing Supply to interface the front and back yoke. 

What I don't like about the skirt, is how it hangs, and I think the line drawings on the front of the pattern are deceiving.  However, the photo does kind of show the problem.  The skirt does not hang nicely.  I believe the problem is with the V-front yoke.  I have very narrow hips.  For me, the angle of the front yoke is too wide.  I would need to redraft that angle, to get the yoke to hang flat against my belly and to skim my hips.  The way it stands now, the point of the front yoke hangs away from my body, as does the side seams.  The whole lower portion of the yoke is too wide!  I think this flaw is much more apparent when you wear the skirt with a shirt tucked in.  Here is how it looks with the shirt on the outside:
I thought this skirt would be a slam dunk.  Lesson learned.  I should have made a muslin.  It isn't horrible, and I am sure I will wear it this season.  I really like the idea of the pointed front yoke, so I think some time in the future I will try to redraft it and make a new skirt.  Here are a couple of detail shots:
Invisible center back zipper.

Front Yoke
  I look forward to getting caught up on some blog reading this weekend.  Aloha everyone!

28 comments:

Linda said...

I love the fit of the top on you. I really need to make up some stripe tops. I see more and more on blogs and RTW. Your skirt looks nice. I like that front yoke.

Texan said...

Cute top! I understand what you mean about your hips being narrow and the skirt hanging. I have that issue myself sometimes. My hiney on the other hand is kinda bubble so I have to have the fullness back there but I don't need it in the width for hips. Can make for a fun fit LOL.

KID, MD said...

Love the top and the color combo. Nice stripe matching! It's too bad that the skirt didn't work. I love the idea of a pointed yoke.

Mary said...

I love the striped top, and think the overall outfit is really nice. The top is cute on you (what isn't? :-) ) and the yoke design on the skirt is a definite cool feature. Just consider this skirt your muslin!

Faye Lewis said...

That's a nice out fit. I'm loving stripes lately.

Sue said...

I love the red/white stripe with the black skirt. The top looks fantastic but the skirt does look a little big on you. Is it worth altering? (I know I would be pressed to bother but it looks like nice fabric).

Trudy Callan said...

I love the color combination, too. Looks comfortable as well as pretty.

Mary Nanna said...

Some great work there on the construction - the yoke fitting to the point so well, the stripes matching - the top is super cute and you'll get heaps of wear out of it, as I can think of a few sporty things in your wardrobe it would match well with... I'm sure you can work something out with the skirt - fingers crossed.

Eugenia said...

I love that beautiful striped top and you have done an amazing job with the construction - it is so perfectly matched and finished! It looks wonderful with the skirt (even if you aren't entirely happy with the way it hangs!).

Lisa said...

I love the top and paired with the skirt it really is a lovely outfit . Your stripe matching is awesome !!! To bad about the skirt but it looks great in the pictures.

Myra said...

Shannon, I love this top! You did an awesome job with it and I love the color too! The skirt...ummmm??? I'm on the fence, while I agree it could probably fit better, I do like the look on you, very much!

Lori said...

Very cute top, the stripe is great. The skirt is nice but it does look to big on you, maybe just too much fabric on you. I think you still should wear it and I wonder if heels would make it look differently, too.

Beangirl. said...

Well first off that top is fabulous and definitely you should make more. As for the skirt, I didn't think it looked especially bad... I'm thinking it just doesn't look (or possibly feel) the way you were expecting so you like it less than you normally would. It's not fabulous, but it's definitely wearable. So hopefully you'll get some wears out of it this summer.

Peggy's Closet said...

I love the top! It fits you perfectly, and red and white stripes always look crisp, clean, and happy! The skirt looks good on you and with the top, but I understand your concerns. It looks like you could've gone down a size, maybe? All in all, another great outfit. ~ Peggy http://peggyscloset.blogspot.com/

Vanessa said...

Your top is pretty! I think you are right about the skirt, though. It looks great with the untucked shirt, but a little big tucked in, which is a shame because I love the yoke detailing!

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

You are so great with knits - I always admire your creations (well not just knits) the skirt looks OK but I know what you mean. Sometimes I just make a sample piece of the part I have doubts about, such as the bodice or collar only - perhaps you can try that.

Karin said...

I agree, the black, white and red colour combo is sharp! I can't see the problem with the way the skirt hangs in your photos, but I do know what you are talking about. I have super wide hips, maybe this is the pattern for me!

Irene said...

Love the outfit! Is there any way that you could fiddle with the side seams to tweak the fit? It would be a shame if this skirt didn't get its full wear potential because it doesn't feel right.

A Sewn Wardrobe said...

Your striped top is great - I may have to snag this pattern. It looks really easy!

Honestly, the skirt isn't bad at all. After you pointed it out, I can see that the pointed yoke may be causing some issues, but - *really* - it's probably only noticeable to you.

Handmade said...

Cute top. Shame about the skirt. It will be interesting to see how you re draft it.

Bernice said...

Very cute top. I'm really liking stripes at the moment. This style top is always much nicer that a standard T.

Carolyn said...

It's a pity the skirt didn't work out how you hoped, just consider this your muslin! I like the stripes on the top.

Kyle said...

Aloha Shannon!
Wow, that pointed yoke is an engineering marvel! I'm not sure I could get such a nice point. Nice job matching up the stripes on the shirt!
How full is your closet?? I'm sewing at the rate of like 1/6 of what you sew and my closet is bursting...I need to clean it out soon!

Joy said...

Cute outfit - it's sailoresque.

I don't think the skirt is bad at all - but with the fit, I suppose the details end up getting lost. I do like the idea of the interesting yoke.

gwensews said...

Aloha. Your striped top is pretty, and so perfect with a number of bottoms. Oh, with white capris-it would look very "BeachParty"! Hard to see the yoke of your skirt, but I'm sure you wouldn't have a bit of trouble making it proportional to your tiny figure.

Corrine said...

Really cute outfit and I am also sure that the flaws you mention are only visible to you. To me it looks good but the interesting point to my comment is that I have the same pattern on my cutting table right now that I had planned to use with a great fabric. I did not plan to muslin because I thought this simple pattern would be no big deal. While narrow hips are not my problem you thank you for the warning flag and I will muslin before I cut into my beautiful fabric!

Cennetta said...

Nicely done. This is a great combination. I haven't noticed the top pattern. The boatneck is a nice change from the regular t-shirt neckline.

amber said...

You may have had some problems with the skirt, but I think the outfit is totally cute. I especially love that boatneck top, though. What a great basic.