Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Butterick 5219 Oh Yeah!

Thank you for your thoughts on the last outfit.  I am seriously thinking about following through on Sue's and Irene's suggestion to maybe try to alter the skirt.  I really do like the fabric and it would be a versatile skirt in the long run, if it fit better, so thanks for the push! 

For now, let's talk about Butterick 5219!  It's a fast and easy pattern according to the envelope, and I'll vouch for that.  Though I wouldn't recommend sewing the yoke the way it suggests if you want to keep it fast and easy.  I also a made a couple of other modifications to keep it simple.  I don't like wasting time on details that will be lost in a print.  Therefore, I didn't add a separate hem band or sleeve band, but I did add the length that they would have provided.  I used my coverstitch machine to hem them.

So, what motivated me to make this tunic?  Well... now that I have a shop on Etsy, I have been spending some time there and am amazed by so many of the talented artisans.  Recently, I found and purchased a gorgeous agate earring and necklace set made by Andi of Wee Hippies.  The colors in it reminded me of a rayon knit fabric that I had purchased last fall/winter, and sure enough it was a perfect match.  The next decision was what pattern to use?  I definitely needed an open neckline to showcase the necklace.  I spent more time contemplating what pattern to use, than actually sewing it up.  Once I settled on Butterick 5219, I cut out view D in a size 10.  It fits pretty well straight out of the envelope.  And here it is all sewn up and modeled with the necklace set. 
This is how I finished the neckband.  I sewed the front neckband to the back neckband on the fashion fabric and the lining.  My lining is the same as my fashion fabric.  Then I laid the two right sides together and stitched the neckline.  I trimmed my seam allowance, then understitched on the lining side.  Next, I folded the neckband wrong sides together and basted the raw edges together to keep the neckband all one piece.  Finally, I attached the neckband to the tunic.  By doing it this way, I didn't have a facing to stitch down.  The neckline is all finished in this last step.  One more note on the knit fabric; it is very light-weight and nearly sheer, which makes it nice for summer.  I originally thought I might only want to wear this print in the fall/winter months.  But I think it works with the white, slim-fitting, RTW, stretch cords I've had for ages.  I may also make a pair of dark brown linen culottes from a vintage designer Vogue pattern which should work with it as well.  Don't you just love how one idea leads to another?  Now if only there was enough time... 
Mahalo to Andi for my beautiful new necklace and earrings.  I will enjoy wearing them!

32 comments:

Lori said...

Hey, I recognize that fabric! Your top looks great, thanks for the tips with the yoke. A perfect fabric/pattern combination for your new jewelry.

Sew-4-Fun said...

Lovely outfit!

Mary said...

I love this outfit! Nice jewels.

Mary Nanna said...

That is a very very pretty tunic - the whole outfit looks very polished.

Rebecca said...

Your top turned out quite nicely! I have this pattern in the stash. I may just have to get it out and sew it soon. :]

Karin said...

Your tunic does look good with slim white trousers. The necklace is very pretty and they do look "made for each other." :-)

Kat said...

I really like the fabric/necklace combination.

That top looks effortless (to wear) - very nice!

Sue said...

Great top - I love how you matched it to you necklace - they look great together!

Alexandra Mason said...

Love your tunic it looks gorgeous with your necklace...I love your knit top in your previous post too.

Jane M said...

This tunic looks wonderful on you. Great open neckline and just enough volume to be fashionably chic without billowing all around. And perfect fabric for that necklace.

Lisette M said...

The necklace is stunning and looks wonderful with your tunic. I bought that pattern for the neckline I'm glad that it looks so beautiful made up!

Sheila said...

Lovely tunic and it looks good with the jewelry.

knottygnome said...

that is a really beautiful necklace. the whole outfit looks great!

Texan said...

How perfect is that top in style and color for your new necklace!

Joy said...

What? You didn't make the pants? (:
I like the style of the tunic with the bell sleeves and the belt. Looks great with the slim fitting pants.

I, too, have been tempted by the jewelry on etsy - It's not something I'll make myself.

Vanessa said...

Pretty! I love the fabric choice, and the necklace accents the whole outfit well!

Home's Jewels said...

Love it! I have this pattern and haven't been inspired to make it until seeing yours. What a great look with the necklace, too!

gwensews said...

That's very pretty and you have the figure to wear that tunic belted. I love the bell sleeves. Nice jewelry, too.

Victoria said...

Very lovely top!!!

Carolyn said...

The fabric is just gorgeous!! I expect you could wear it during winter with a tshirt on underneath...

Cennetta said...

This is a winner. I like the omission of the hem and sleeve band. This top is perfect without them.

Myra said...

Oh Ms. Shannon, you've made the perfect tunic!!! I love the look and the fit! What a gorgeouse lnecklace set too! Absolutely perfect match! Now that's a tunic I could wear!!! You look beautiful in this total outfit.

Handmade said...

Gorgeous fabric - your top looks great with those white trousers - great necklace.

Bernice said...

The top and necklace are a fabulous match. Oh how I do love tunics.

Peggy's Closet said...

Love this top! It looks cool and stylish!

Mocha Scrapper said...

You are rockin' this top! I love it.... The fabric was a great choice and it's very flattering!

Kathy said...

Just wanted to let you know that we like your version of B5219 so much we posted a link to your blog from our Butterick Patterns Facebook page. Great job!
http://www.facebook.com/butterickpatterns

amber said...

That whole outfit, jewelry included, is a winner. Beautiful!

Caroline said...

I second the "time" comment. it seems sewing up one item adds at least two to the queue! This looks like an airy breezy tunic - yet with long sleeves. It looks great with the white pants. And the necklace goes well too! I may have to jump into this etsy shop thing at some point. :) I am glad to be back reading your blog!

Susan said...

I really love the whole look. The tunic looks fantastic!

velosewer said...

You've pulled this together really well. I love the necklace and earrings too.

Andi said...

I love this outfit! That tunic is absolutely beautiful! I'm so glad that you like your necklace and earrings. That set really was my favorite! Thanks so much for including me in your blog!

xo,
Andi