Friday, May 13, 2011

Butterick 4220 Concert Dresses

It's Aloha Friday...already!  I've been busy this week with my mind and hands engaged in several projects.  I'll highlight a few.

First up - Concert Dresses.  My dear friend has two daughters who play violin and they have a performance coming up this weekend.  All the girls wear jewel toned stretch velour dresses.  This year these two talented young ladies needed new dresses.  An adaptation of Butterick 4220 was the pattern chosen to accomplish this goal.  Basically I've used View D, and added 3/4 length sleeves.  I have faced the neckline to keep it smooth.  Even though I have understitched the facing and tacked it to the shoulder seams, I hope it will not roll out while the girls wear the dresses, since the fabric is so heavy.  I have used a midnight blue, stretch, polyester, velour.  I think this is the first time I've used my coverstitch machine to hem this type of fabric and it handled it beautifully.  If you take a close look, the neckline has a very slight V-shape.  I like how it is subtle.     
  One finished dress, with one to go...

Subtle V-neck
Cover-stitched Hem at Sleeve
I have also been adding bags to my shop, five new ones this week.  I just love picking out fabrics for these and sewing them up.  Maybe it's like the thrill quilters get when they coordinate fabrics for their quilts and envision the final look. 
I will continue to add a couple of bags a week for a while, but I am anxious to get started on a new project using New Look 6032 in a black rayon/linen blend and a knit top using a red and white striped knit with a "yet to be determined" t-shirt pattern.  I also need to make some more progress on my jacket for the RTW Tailoring Sew-Along, which is just finishing up.  I'm just a wee bit behind there :) 

On a personal note, the boys and I have about 5 weeks more weeks of school before our summer break.  Since we took our spring break last week while our guests were here, we have some catching up to do, and we are preparing for standardized testing.   So I am quite busy on the homeschooling front too.  Not only that, but I have already signed up all three boys for their favorite sport of the year...soccer...which begins in August.  Life is moving at a lightning pace for me right now.  How about you?  Well whatever your pace, may  the weekend be glorious!  Aloha!
Protea, named after the Greek god Proteus.  There are so many varieties of these in upcountry Maui.  I will share more when I blog about the Alii Kula Lavender farm., one of my favorite places to visit in upcountry Maui.

   

13 comments:

Handmade said...

That's very nice of you to make these dresses - they look very pretty. Love Proteas!! Have a great week - your bags look fab too!

Faye Lewis said...

Very nice dress.

Karin said...

You are so sweet to make their dresses! The neckline looks lovely.

gwensews said...

You've done a lot of sewing! I don't know how you manage so much with schooling your kids. Amazing! The flower is so beautiful, and great photography!

sewing spots said...

So sweet of you to make those dresses! This one looks great!

Just wait until your kids hit high school. Talk about super fast and super busy! I am very pleased that our oldest homeschooled child graduates this year (and I never thought I'd say that--it's been too busy!).

Myra said...

I love the fabric of this dress, Shannon! Very cute!

I really like your skirt selection for your upcoming project. I can't remember, but have you sewn Butter 5484 or McCalls 6164 (view A) as t-shirts yet?? They might go nicely with your skirt project. I have them both in my sewing que and haven't done them yet.

Myra said...

OOPs, I meant "Butterick"! For pete's sake I need to proof before hitting that button!!!

Alexandra Mason said...

Lovely dress and i love your bags! Hope you are having a great weekend.

Carolyn said...

So nice of you to make dresses for other people!
I love proteas too. They grow very well here too, because they are native to South Africa and we have a very similar climate to that country.
Thank you for your lovely comment on my Mum's jacket. She was thrilled to get so many compliments!

Joy said...

Sewing for other people while so busy! I'm sure they'll appreciate the dresses very much. Sewing is a funny dichotomy: it can drive us crazy and yet it keeps us sane!

We did standardized tests a few weeks ago - and got nothing else done that week, ha!

I loved seeing the picture of the "Protea".

Caroline said...

Wow, you have been productive! I really like those dresses, simple, and elegant, and appropriate for a young girl.

Goose and I just finished McGuffey's second reader, and the first half of Singapore Kindy math, so we are taking a break for a couple of weeks while we travel. I'll probably work on math with him through the summer because he really loves it (and it's my thing too) but we'll read from the Bible and library books ... and hope he still enjoys public school. :)

Sheila said...

The first dress is such a pretty jeweled blue and sure the second one will be just as pretty.

WoW what a goregeous flower.

Texan said...

Lovely dress. I am just learning of a cover stitch machine. I have read now on several blogs about people using them. I had to look up what it was.

Your bags are nice too :o)