Monday, May 30, 2011

Burda 7421 Progress Report

Aloha!  Well you all probably know that the RTW Tailoring Sew-a-Long has finished.  Unfortunately, I did not finish with the group, but I haven't given up.  I am making progress and I have pictures...finally...to prove it.  I have to admit, I am having a tough time staying focused.  I loved Eugenia's post today.  She described me to a T, especially with this particular project.  But I won't let it defeat me.  I'm going to keep working on it, even if it takes me all year.  (It really shouldn't take me that long :)

Anyway, I am making the jacket from Burda 7421.  I think one reason this project is taking me so long, is that it requires more mental energy than I have been willing to spare lately.  I love sewing projects that are fast with great results.  This is not like that.  I have never made a welt pocket, for instance, until I began this project.  However, now that I have my first one done, imperfect though it be, I am kicking myself for how long it took me to decide to sit down and concentrate on how to do it.  It wasn't all that hard.  The good news is, no matter how slow you go, you will get to the finish, so I will keep plugging along in little bits and chunks.  Sherry's instructions were fabulous, by the way, for how to make a proper welt (jet) pocket.  Here are my progress shots.  I am making this jacket out of grey pincord suiting that has a little bit of stretch.  Not a big investment if something goes terribly wrong or the fit is off.  Shame on me, but this is my trial run of the pattern.  I plan to wear it very casually this summer if it turns out wearable.  I like the design so much though, that I would want to make it again in a nice fabric later on down the road.
Jacket front with pocket stitched up prior to making the welt pocket.  I like how the side front piece cleverly joins to give a nice shape, but the jacket front is all one piece.

Jacket Back

Inside jacket front showing pocket bag all finished.
One thing I wish I had done on the pocket welt was cut it on the bias to have the stripes come in on the diagonal.  They do not match the lines of the jacket.  I cut them on grain.  Thankfully the stripes are very small, so it won't be glaringly obvious on the finished jacket, but something to think about for next time.

Thank you all for your thoughts and comments on my latest tunic.  I have already worn the outfit, and just love it!  There is a good chance I will sneak in more summer knits, capris, and skirts in the course of finishing my jacket.  Distractions...distractions.  Aloha!
View from Rice Park in Upcountry Maui on a recently cloudy day looking toward the West Maui Mountains.  Although I try to remember to count my blessings, sometimes being able to see to the end of my physical world disturbs me at times.  That's when I know I need to get off the "rock", even if only for a brief time.  Do you think this would bother you?  Or do you think the beauty of the island would be enough? 

18 comments:

Kat said...

The progress on your jacket looks very professional - I would never have known that it's the first welt pocket you've ever made!

About needing to get off the rock - I've lived my whole life on islands of much greater dimension (Australia, and now New Zealand). It freaks me out a little that in Auckland - where I live - you can walk from one side of the island to another in a few hours. It just seems so fragile, particularly after events like the Christchurch earthquake. It's a different situation, but I can understand that sometimes you need to get out!

Karin said...

You said you wished you'd done the welt pockets differently, and I was just thinking how nice they looked! The jacket is looking lovely, can't wait to see the finished article!

I might get a little "island fever" I don't know. Britain is an island, but it doesn't really feel like one most of the time to me.

Carolyn said...

Your welt pocket looks really good!
Well, I love living on an island. Then again, our island is pretty big! I couldn't not (I know, double negative, but still) live within sight of the ocean. We lived in Pennsylvania for a year, and being away from the water was quite deeply depressing to me. I realised I need it for my mental well being.

Little Hunting Creek said...

I lived on Maui for a year, just across from Wailea, in Maui Meadows. And, yes, I did feel occasionally like I had to get off the rock! Your jacket is looking good - just keep going and you'll get there!

Eugenia said...

Hi Shannon - thanks for the mention, turns out that I'm not the only one that has trouble getting focussed!
I think your jacket is coming along wonderfully well and I am very impressed indeed with your welt pocket. I would never have guessed that this was a first attempt. I think that it's an excellent idea to sometimes make something that is challenging and you have to make a bit slower.

Irene said...

Your jacket is coming along beautifully. Just keep at it - you'll get it done.

Lisette M said...

Beautiful looking pockets. Yes jackets/coats are a long process, but little by little they get done.

Not seeing the ocean was an adjustment for me, now every time I'm near the water is like coming home; enjoy island living!

Mary said...

Wow, your first welt pocket? It looks great! I must comment on this:

"...sometimes being able to see to the end of my physical world disturbs me at times."

I am struck by your use of language here. In one sentence you have described both the beauty and the discomfort inherent in living on the edge of the land. I grew up in the Bay Area, and lived in Santa Cruz through my young adult years. Though it is a beautiful place, I often felt trapped by the ocean on one side and the Santa Cruz mountains on the other. I now live on the high desert and feel more comfortable.

Joy said...

I think the welts look perfect. And I'm really liking the stripes.

Your description of how it feels to live on an island is fascinating. The really grand landscapes (and seascapes) like the Alps, or Giant's Causeway (or in your case, the surrounding ocean) remind you how small you are!

KID, MD said...

Nice pockets!! I think this is going to be a great jacket when you finish.

knottygnome said...

i hear you on the lack of mental energy.

i too had been scared off welt pockets for a long time but i recently tried (faux) welt pockets and it couldn't have been easier. and now i feel silly for having waited for so long.

Alexandra said...

I love the material you have chosen for your jacket! I lived on the island of Jersey for a year and every now and again i felt like i had to get off it, back to the U.K (which doesn't feel like an island) Have a lovely week!

Faye Lewis said...

I love blue and white pin cord, and you are doing a wonderful job!

Caroline said...

I've never made a welt pocket either. It's something I really would like to learn at some point, but like you I like quicker results, especially since my sewing time is so limited right now!

Yes, I would feel claustrophobic on an island I think ... though my dad lived on Johnston Island (800 miles SW of you) for 8 years ... two months working, then two weeks off, and he loved it there, even though it was only a square mile...! I think I would miss being able to road trip somewhere different and interesting - not that I do that ever,but having that possibility implies some freedom. Kevin is going to Hawaii for work in August, so I guess he'll let me know if it is someplace I would like.

Hope you have a fun summer! And your 5K training is going well! I enjoyed doing alot of long runs this past winter (something I hadn't been able to do for about 7 years) and some track work ... and am looking forward to running hill repeats (though our hills are really quite small) this summer some ... Are your boys still running? Goose made me promise I wouldn't make him run in the Texas heat, and since he swims alot, I agreed.

Texan said...

I was thinking how cute your pockets are, I think they look good.

Never having lived as you do I don't know if it would bother me or not. :O).

Kyle said...

Hee that we tackled our first welt pockets together, though unknowingly!
Yours looks great and I agree that the join there is very clever.

I remember the first time I was on Oahu, I drove from Pearl Harbor and wanted to go to the Dole Pineapple plantation. Somehow I drove by it and wound up on the North Shore. I learned that Oahu is ~40 miles from PH to NS, as long as a commute I used to do, and it kind of blew my mind to be on an island and realize what that really means, how short a distance it is. You truly are sewing surrounded by salt water!

Amanda S. said...

This is looking AWESOME!!! I love the stripe effects. And it looks like it will be very versatile. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Uta said...

Your pocket looks great! I think one feels the need to get "out" from time to time, regardless of where one is or how beautiful it is!