Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Pay it Forward Update

Life is moving at a profound pace this week! How about you? I've been sewing everyday, some for work, (yay!) and some for play.  Unfortunately, none on my jacket.  But I will get started on it today!  First up, some yummy fabric for my Pay It Forward participants.  I have had a blast making up some little gifts.  Don't you just love the opportunity to work with quilting cottons?  Of course, I'm not going to take the fun out of it and show you the finished projects, but I will share the materials with you!  Bright and cheerful, don't you think?
I have sent out two finished projects and would love to send out the last three.  If you are one of my participants, I would love to hear from you so that I can get your gifts mailed.  Please email me at: upcountrymom"at"yahoo"dot"com.  And thank you for spreading the love and friendship!

Maui News:  You know, the transmission in my van went out about a month ago.  It took 26 days to have it repaired.  I had to wait for the mechanic to go on and return from vacation, wait for shipping on the parts, etc.  Things are not so instantaneous living here, which can be a blessing or a curse.  In this case, I'll chalk it up to a blessing.  My DH and I decided to save money and not rent a car during this 26 day period.  Thankfully, I live within walking distance to my post office, bank, and grocery store, though it is a 40 minute round trip walk.  There is also a county bus system that can take you from the grocery store to other parts of the island.  After about two weeks chained to the house and neighborhood, my children and I went on an adventure and learned to ride the bus!  I don't know why I waited so long?!  When I got my van back, which I am tremendously thankful for, I filled it up, and do you know the price of regular gas is now $4.69/gallon?  Yikes!  I am so glad I now know how to navigate the bus system.  It only costs a dollar for a one-way trip, and I think I will be voluntarily using it whenever I can!  Have a sunny day everyone!
Can you spot the fish?

14 comments:

Rachelle said...

Hi Shannon, thanks for your fun post. I just love hearing about Hawaii. Perhaps I will visit someday but in the meantime your posts brighten my days. Here in New Zealand the equivalent amount of petrol would cost you a little over $8. The bus trip sounds like a lot of fun. I'm sure your boys thought it was a great adventure.

KID, MD said...

4.69??? *jaw drops* It's 3.50 here and I could die! Yay for a goo bus system there!

Steph said...

I walk and ride the bus everywhere here in Brisbane, people act like it's some really difficult thing... But it isnt! My little girl and I take an express right to the middle of the city, go shopping and to the library, etc. Easy. Cheap.

Vanessa said...

Those are beautiful fabrics! I miss working with quilting cottons too!

a little sewing said...

what lovely fabrics.
It's so nice to hear a bit about where you live. I imagine it to be paradise :)

Myra said...

Beautiful fabrics!!! $4.69 a gallon, that insane!!! I thought our $3.50 was aweful, I sure hope that's not what we have to look forward too! I found the fish too!!

Jane M said...

Yikes, it's not cheap to live in paradise, is it? But great weather for walking. I grew up taking public transportation everywhere so I was surprised to live inlaces without great bus service. Glad you got the car fixed and had some new family adventures as well.

NĂ³ra said...

I've been living in the Central Europe but the petrol price is higher than we live a paradise.
The equivalent amount of petrol costs $8.

On the other hand, I love your fabrics, especially the purple varied.

Texan said...

Quilting fabrics "perk" did I hear quilting fabric! :O), um that would be my weakness in fabric for sure, my stash shows that :O)...

4.69 yikers, makes me feel like I shouldn't complain about our 3.50-3.60 depending on what day it is lol.

Caroline said...

our gas is about a dollar cheaper than yours, but still pretty pricey ... I've been trying to consolidate my trips. Our bus system is a bit more troublesome than yours, but next year when goose is in school I'm going to try to do more errands on my bike ...

The Slapdash Sewist said...

The bus is not generally a glamorous mode of transport but it is convenient. I don't have a car, which is super easy within the District but when I visit the suburbs bus navigation skills are required. I'm glad yours is convenient!

Rosy said...

Beautiful! These fabrics are just beautiful! I'm funny that you found that up by bus is a little adventure, lol. I really enjoyed your post.

Mary said...

Hi Shannon, I'm back and trying to catch up with all the going's on in the blogosphere. The PayItForward sounds intriguing. What wonderful quilting cottons-pretty colors!

I was laughing at your bus story...the gas prices are ridiculous (added island tax?)

Nice to "talk" with you, Mary

Reethi said...

I sold my car when I moved to Toronto - best decision ever! Our gas prices tend to be atleast $1 higher than the equivalent American price, but the true killer is insurance, my insurance would have doubled when I moved from Michigan to Toronto.