Saturday, April 2, 2011

New Look 6944 Revisited

Good morning, afternoon, or evening!  I have completed New Look 6944.  It is my second version of this pattern.  I am infinitely more satisfied with this version than the lastAndrea's comment on version #1 encouraged me to make this again, and I am so glad I did.  I made view A, but I didn't have enough fabric to make the front ties.  I did make the belt carriers from my previous Burda shorts, but discovered they didn't look right because of the separate waistband piece, so I left them off.  Thankfully, they didn't take too long to make, so it wasn't a lot of wasted time.  I used a linen/rayon blend from Fabric.com.  It has been in my stash for at least two years, and the sun had faded some parts of it.  I had to work around these flaws.  
With this version I decided to use 3/8" side seams instead of 5/8" to give me a little extra room in the waist on the size 10.  Otherwise, there were no construction changes to the pattern.  Since I like the skirt so much, and I feel it will be worn quite a bit (It coordinates with many tops in my wardrobe.), I decided to have a nicer finish on the waistband facing and hand-stitched on the inside, instead of stitching in the ditch on the outside.  Overall, this is a stylish flowing design which is perfect for a hot humid climate.

I have the skirt styled with a cardigan I found at Old Navy for around $20.00.  The blouse is Burda 8218, blogged about here.  

 
Inside details.
And now I must plot my course on my upcoming Burda Jacket.  I have some reading to catch up on over at Sherry's blog, but I plan to get a start on it right away.  Have an awesome April weekend online ohana!

19 comments:

Vanessa said...

I agree with you. I like this skirt more than the last one you did as well! You look beautiful in it!

Rosy said...

Oh, that skirt is so beautiful! The cherry red color is fun and cheerful for summer, you look magnificent in it.

Uta said...

So pretty! I love the color, and I love red with gray. Would it go with your striped top as well?

Karin said...

Such a pretty raspberry red! Is this the new "midi-length" I have been reading about?

Eugenia said...

I love your new version of this skirt, the style really suits you and that shade of red is gorgeous!

Irene said...

This skirt is beautiful! Doesn't even look as though it came from the same pattern as the cotton one. Fabric choice does make such a difference in the way a garment hangs. Enjoy wearing this gorgeous red.

Ann's Fashion Studio said...

This is such a pretty outfit.

Lori said...

Another beautiful skirt, the entire outfit looks so stylish

Carolyn said...

This is beautiful... I love the bright colour. I'm glad to see that blouse again, I have finished my version of this... er, collar! (there is actually a blouse attached to it!) Actually I have to confess I only bought this pattern for the shawl collar, which I think is very flattering!

A Sewn Wardrobe said...

I am jealous - I want this exact piece in *my* closet! LOVE IT.

Lindsay T said...

Very nice. This reminds me to get going on the long skirt I want to make.

gwensews said...

Love a long skirt! Especially red. It looks terrific, and you'll surely wear it a lot. Nice sewing, as always.

Caroline said...

What a nice shade of red. I bet you will use it alot - it looks lovely and drapey and flowy - the rayon, no doubt .... I always handstitch my facings on the inside - I can't ever get stitching in the ditch to look quite right. I'm always amazed that people can.

knottygnome said...

i love the red! such a pretty and feminine skirt.

Alexandra Mason said...

This skirt is lovely and the colour is gorgeous!

Corrine said...

Really like the color pop of the red skirt. Nice lines and drape. It really looks so cute with the cardi.

Sue said...

Your skirt is such a beautiful colour and I like how you have styled it.
I'd better hurry-up with my jacket too and do some reading over at Sherry's!

Cennetta said...

Nice skirt.

velosewer said...

I love that colour on you. The skirt style is really pretty too.