Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Inching Along

I am happy to have a minute here tonight to check in with you all.  I am still working at a feverish pace on some projects, but by this weekend I'll be in the clear to begin fashion sewing again.  I may be going through withdrawals I tell ya!  Anyway, I do have a couple of photos to share.  Did anyone else see Beangirl's sewing room makeover?  Specifically the Cubes of Doom.  Ever since that post I have not gotten this brilliant organization system out of my head, until now.  I have my very first cube tower.  I love it, but I think I need another one!  It contains all most of my quilting cottons and linens.  Folding and sorting these fabrics consumed one evening this past week, but it was worth it!  My sewing room is one half of a garage converted into living space.  I have not yet painted or remodeled this room, but I cannot wait to do that this summer when the kids and I have a break from their schoolwork.  I am seriously thinking of painting the walls bright fuchsia after staring at this unappealing, drab, scuffed up, cream-colored paint for the past year.  The other half of the "garage" is our school room.  You can see that the cursive alphabet has invaded my territory!
Moving on, I have cut out #118 from the April 2011 issue of BurdaStyle magazine.  That wasn't easy.  You should see how wide the top yoke pieces are.  Oh right, you will see.
My scrumptious bamboo jersey is 60" wide, but that is not wide enough to cut the top out with the stretch going across, like you might think it should.  However, the design of the shirt is such that there is enough ease to not have to worry about having much stretch.  The layout is shown up above.  Much to my relief, I only had to cut two pieces on the floor.  My back doesn't like it when I crawl around a hard floor on my hands and knees.  I cut these pieces in a single layer, not on the fold, so that I wouldn't get too much distortion.

This photo doesn't pick up the beautiful rich turquoise color, but I think I will be pairing it with a long, white, embroidered, cotton, skirt.  I have the perfect fabric in my stash.  I just have to decide on the pattern. 

I am nearly finished cutting out my Burda jacket for the RTW Sew Along Sherry is hosting.  It has a lot of pieces, and I am choosing to cut the fabric in a single layer also.  Since I am using pincord, I don't want to risk having my vertical lines be off grain, by cutting in a double layer.  I have read with focused attention all but the most recent post on Sherry's blog.  It is incredible of her to share her knowledge so that we can become better at our craft.  I wish I felt like I had the time this month to follow all her steps, but I'm afraid I will cut corners to stay on task, rather than to drop out, because I desperately want to make this jacket mine!

Finally, from my last post several of you pointed out how much higher gas prices are in your area.  I don't think I will complain when some of you are paying $8.00/gallon.  Wow!  But let's not close with a depressing number.  Rather, let's close with...  
Maui Tropical Plantation Bougainvillea
...fuchsia is such a happy color!

19 comments:

Shiny Green Penny said...

I can't wait to see a pic of your finished top - I have been mulling over making that one.

By the way, thanks for the fantastic shot of the bougainvillia. I was talking about it just the other day do DH and telling him it was my favourite plant. Living in the frozen north of Canada, he had no idea what they were, and I have not seen one since I worked in a very large greenhouse years ago. The fuschia has given me a smile to start the day!

Jane M said...

You've been so busy in your sewing space! Can't wait to see the jacket but I know what a pain to cut it out piece by piece. Love your fabric organization. I have similar shelves from Ikea that make it easier to handle my fabric when I want to take some out to "pet" it.

Uta said...

My sewing room is only about 1/4 done, we have to get to the children's rooms first (slow going) so I'm resigned to sewing on the dining room table again... I'd love a bright pink sewing room (and it might even improve the mood when doing school work)! The flowers are beautiful; you live in paradise!

Alexandra Mason said...

Those cubes are a great idea for storing fabric...Gorgeous flowers!

Beangirl. said...

beautiful!! As for fuchsia walls, that sounds fun. I had a sort of deep red color in our livingroom once and then also a lovely light tangerine-ish color. The tangerine was my favorite I think. Saying that, I really love the yellow that we have now (so much so that, against all my normal inclinations, I think we're actually going to repaint with the same color-- unheard of!)

I was actually thinkin that $4.69/gallon is pretty good in HA... ? I always figured things there must be very expensive, but base that on no particular fact...

Jacquie said...

I've been eyeing that Burda top - but I had no inkling that it was that wide. Hmmm, I'm not a fan of crawling around on the floor cutting oversize pieces either. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished top, I'm sure it will be worth the cutting out pain. And a fuchsia room sounds excellent.

KID, MD said...

I see I am not the only one anxiously awaiting your burda top! That one caught my eye, too. It's on the short list.

Irene said...

Love those storage cubes!
Curious to see the top. Those sleeves look awfully long.

Little Hunting Creek said...

I painted my sewing room orange sherbet and it makes me happy just looking at the walls! Fuchsia sounds wonderful.

Julia said...

You really are a busy momma!!!

Vanessa said...

It does feel great to look at an organized sewing room, especially when you want to sew!! I like the cubes, what a good idea!

You newest project looks cute as well, and thanks for another beautiful photo of Hawaii!

Lisette M said...

I love everything you are working on! I have my fabric picked out for the Burda top and skirt you are working on. Thanks for the bougainvillea, reminds me of my childhood in Cuba.

Caroline said...

wow, I love the fabric organized and visible. I organized mine a week or so ago, but it's in big rubbermaid bins. Less conducive to inspiration ....

Texan said...

Honeyman and I did my sewing room last year, painted the walls put in lighting and new shelves. I decided I wanted my fabric all out where I could see it on the shelves. I have really enjoyed that. You will enjoy being able to see your fabrics!

Will be fun to see your shirt become a shirt :O).

I ordered my Jalie compression shorts pattern, just waiting on it to get here. I was a little disappointed when Patternreview emailed me and said they would ship it when it arrived to them from the
manufacturer. Oh well it gets here when it does. umm not like I don't have plenty of other sewing projects going, quilts! :O). I also bought a Yoga Pant pattern I could do! I am nervous I must admit about sewing clothes :O).

marysews said...

Are those bougainvilleas climbing or creeping? We are looking for a colorful ground cover, and if we can find a creeping variety, that will be it!

Ann's Fashion Studio said...

Too funny ~ tonight I just finished sorting and folding fabric and filling a cubed shelf myself :))
I love it and I am hoping that all the fabric I placed in there today will be what I will sew up for the summer.

Bright fuchsia walls sounds fun!

Handmade said...

The cube looks great - and that yoke!! WOW. Love the bougainvillea!

Sue said...

I think fuschia-coloured walls would look fantastic! If only I were brave enough to paint one of my walls a different colour.
Your turquoise blue fabric sounds gorgeous - what an interesting pattern piece, so wide that it doesn't fit on 60" wide fabric.
The flowers are beautiful.
I'm lagging behind on the jacket sew-along. Very unmotivated to sew this week - handsewing 'yes'!

Myra said...

Wow, I love the idea of those cubes for organization! I need to get some for myself too! I can't wait to see both your bamboo top and your jacket. I bet that bamboo is beautiful (from what I can see).