Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter 2011

Happy Easter Everyone!  I'm amazed it's already been a week since my last post.  I am anxious to travel the blogs and see all the beautiful Easter outfits that have been posted today.  Alas, I have nothing finished to show you.  Several things have been distracting me, a couple of which I will share below, but I do have a work in progress.  Remember how I said I was going to try to work out the fit with Simplicity 2648?  After three tries, I still have no suitable fit, and my pattern is hacked beyond recognition.  I'm not sure why this one has thrown me for such a loop.  Never-the-less, not wanting to give up on a princess seamed dress, I decided to start over with a new pattern.  I chose New Look 6910, view D.
I made a muslin of the bodice and was pleasantly surprised to find it fit me pretty well.  I needed to remove some gaping along the back of the armhole and along the neckline.   I have now begun putting the final dress together.  I am using a bubbly, sunshiny, aloha, fabric with a pale-yellow dotted voile for the lining.  I normally don't work with sweet fabrics like this, but I fell in love with the color combination and print on this one, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.  I will also be making a matched cropped jacket, but not the one that came with this pattern.  Here is my progress so far. 
French seams on the skirt.
Thank you so much for your lovely comments on the last outfit and location.  While out on that excursion, my boys and I stumbled upon another beach along the north shore called Sugar Cove.  Since we were not in our swimming attire, we didn't stay to check it out, but we went back to it today!
Narrow path to Heaven
Sugar Cove is a small crescent shaped sandy beach.  For a holiday weekend, it was surprisingly uncrowded.  The people who were there were either like us, enjoying the sand and surf, or there to launch their kite boards or take off wind surfing. 

Kite Boarder Launching

I always love it when we can go to the beach as a family.  My youngest DS cannot swim, yet.  So having DH with us, gives me the opportunity to snorkel.  Today, the water was rough and not very clear, but that won't stop me.  I like to dive down and swim along the bottom when the water is silty or murky.  Why?  Treasure Hunting of course!  Today I came up with a golf ball, surf fin, 4" lead weight, and a red toy truck.  You may not be intrigued by this list, but in the past I have come up with a coral encrusted, men's, 18 karat gold, wedding band, a squid hidden in a shell, and my one and only view of a seahorse.  I love to hunt the sea floor almost as much as I love to hunt the fabric stores!  Okay, maybe I'm stretching the truth a bit there. 
Rocks to Explore
Wind Swept Palms
In other news, we are anxiously looking forward to VIP's (family) coming to visit from the mainland.  They will be here this next Thursday and will stay for a week.  There has been and still is plenty to do before they arrive.  One of the benefits of having visitors is it gives us the chance to be tourists along with them.   Look forward to more Maui posts in the next couple of weeks.  I do plan to sew when I can, including finishing up my current dress, and will keep working on my jacket for the RTW Sew-Along.  Hope you all are looking forward to a gorgeous spring week!
Bring our family safely to us on your way back!
    

23 comments:

Sew-4-Fun said...

Happy Easter! I always enjoy seeing photos of Hawaii from a local's perspective. Such a beautiful place! Glad to hear you solved your fit issues by swapping patterns. Frustrating though.

Dilliander said...

Beautiful photos. Glad you were able to find a better pattern and will still have the style you wanted.

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

Thanks for sharing those beautiful pictures of Hawaii. It is so nice to see it through a native's eyes.

sp-rono said...

Beautiful photos.

Handmade said...

Happy Easter to you too! Great photos - I hope you get to go treasure hunting more often! And I love your Aloha fabric!

a little sewing said...

Ah your dress looks lovely so far. I have also chopped away at patterns until they were a mess, so I am glad you moved on to another one and it's working out.

Also, I very much enjoy seeing your pics of your neighborhood. We don't have exotic beaches where I live :)

Debra Martin said...

Happy Easter! I really enjoyed your pictures. I am longing for summer now.

Lisa said...

Your dress will be beautiful , those colours are to die for . Happy Easter to you and yours .
Ps I am very envious you live in such a beautiul sunny haven !

Jane M said...

Your fabric is so lovely and your pictures of the beach have those same beautiful colors. Sounds like a good decision to move on and find a pattern that works so much more easily. Hope you have great times with the family!

sewing spots said...

I *love* that dress fabric! That's a neat solution to switch dress patterns and I'm glad that this one will work for you.

Thanks for sharing the sun and fun! It sounds delightful.

Eugenia said...

Happy Easter! What beautiful photographs - I so enjoyed looking at them, Hawaii must be a lovely place to be, especially at this time of the year. I think you are absolutely right to try a different dress pattern - sometimes it's best to just say, this one isn't for me, and move on!

Vanessa said...

I never tire of viewing pictures of Hawaii!! It is so beautiful, what a treat to wake up to such great scenery each day!

I love to swim, but have never tried snorkeling. It has always seemed a little scary to me. But, I am glad you have found so many treasures!

Alexandra Mason said...

Love your photos, that beach looks so gorgeous...i would love to try snorkeling! Love your dress fabric too.

Mary said...

What a pleasure to scroll through your post and enjoy pics of sea, sand and waves. Especially as my view right now is dark gray rain clouds, grayish snow covered mountains, and heavy equipment next door ripping out a driveway. Enjoy the dress you are making and the upcoming family visit.

Christiana said...

Lovely fabric choice.
Thanks for all the lovely photos! It's great to have a virtual tour of Hawaii from someone that lives there. And I got a kick out of seeing Canada's favorite airline in a photo on your blog.

Christiana
sewamusing.blogspot.com

Joy said...

Happy Easter!

Who knows? You might find some fabric while snorkeling!

Texan said...

Your new dress will be very pretty, in that lovely print :O).

I am neck deep in my house being totally tore up. Tile installed in most all of it. Except my sewing room, so I did get a little sewing done today on my Dresden Plate Quilt.

Ann's Fashion Studio said...

Happy Easter! Beautiful pictures.

Sue said...

The dress fabric looks lovely! Love the beach photos, looks wonderful.

Julia said...

Happy "Late" Easter greetings to you. It's more like "Happy Mother's Day" to you now~

Myra said...

I think your dress is go to look really nice and I soooo envy your locale! You truly do live in paradise!

Carolyn said...

Happy Easter Shannon!
Your new dress is going to be lovely. That's strange about not getting a good fit with the previous pattern, have you tried laying the two patterns down on top of each other to see what the differences are? I've found that to be very useful when it comes to gauging my own fitting issues, and will be very useful if you ever wish to adjust a pattern in the future, or to even try drafting your own patterns!
I hope you enjoy your family's stay!

Cennetta said...

Happy Belated Easter. The pictures are beautiful. Looking forward to your next project.