Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Wedges Made Me Do It - Chapter 2

Remember my inspiration photo?  Did you notice the wedges?  I really like the fabric on those pants, but couldn't find anything that was similar in a small print, so I ended up going with a tan and black zebra print stretch poplin from FFC.  I had fun making this outfit, and the pants are super comfy; a near perfect fit.  But it is a bold look, so I will have to see how brave I am to pull it off.  I used two patterns.  Burda 7590 and a free Hot Patterns from Fabric.com

I changed a couple of things on both patterns.  I gave the pants a cuff at the ankle and I eliminated the waist band on the top and used elastic instead.  Here is the look:
There's not much to say on the top.  I made is out of a rayon jersey from Gorgeous Fabrics.  It is a simple cowl neck style.  The back neckline has a facing that encloses the folded drape on the front in the shoulder seam.  I used my coverstitch machine to hem the sleeves and topstitch the one inch wide elastic applied at the hem. 

The Burda pants required a lot of fitting adjustments.  I started with a size 12.  The crotch curve was the perfect depth, but there was too much width.  I ended up trimming about 3/4" from the inner back leg seam, beginning a the crotch and tapering back into the seam about 7" down.  That seemed to help pull out a lot of wrinkles from the back and front.  The waist was too small as drafted so I eliminated the front darts.  The outside leg seams were taken in about 3/4" on each side beginning at about 4" down from the waist and tapering back in to the normal side seam at the knee.  I wanted cuffs on these pants, so I just turned up a 4" hem then folded the cuff up.   Here are some more detail shots:

A few thoughts...

I wish I had set my snaps closer to the edge, but that is a minor detail, as I plan to wear these with the waist covered.  I used snaps to keep a sleek flat look.  I like how the waistband sits above the level of my hip bones.  The pants don't tend to creep down.  Now that I have the pattern tweaked to my liking, I could see making these again in a tamer bottom-weight fabric.  The fabric I used is a bit light weight, and my stretch is running vertical instead of horizontal.  We'll see how that works out in the long run.  So far so good, as far as comfort goes, but I think they tend to wrinkle a bit more in the hip area because of this.  I am going to try styling these pants a few ways.  For this first go around I really wanted to keep the long legged look as in the inspiration photo, so I went with a shorter top.  However, I am going to see how I like them with a tunic length top too.  How about some camera angle fun?  Now that's what I'm talking about!

21 comments:

Myra said...

Hey Shannon, with that camera angle, looks like you're all legs! Great outfit...you're right about a bold look, but it looks absolutely great on you! Bravo!

Myra said...

....oh and I missed your inspiration piece, just saw it and yours is totally much better!

Lisette M said...

A bold look indeed! But one you can certainly pull off. I love it!

KID, MD said...

Way cute! You totally nailed the feel of the inspiration look. And the shoes rock.

Ann's Fashion Studio said...

Bold but beautiful :)

Alexandra Mason said...

I love them!

Mary Nanna said...

Oh wow - you are rocking that look! It puts a smile on my face just looking at it.. I keep imagining children at a party trying to pin a tale on you... I love how you are so adventurous with your look and try to keep current and fresh.

A Sewn Wardrobe said...

These are some crazy fun pants! They go so well with the wedges.

The fit is fabulous. They'd look great in a thick navy poplin - though the look would be 100% different!

Rebecca said...

Wow, they are very fun looking pants! They go with the wedges so perfectly. :]

Sue said...

Great! I'd love to see you wear a tunic style top with those pants too.

bg-booms said...

So cute outfit! Pants with animal print and this t-shirt are perfect ansamble!
You've made so garmonious and stylish outfit. Adorable!

Nettie said...

I LOVE these pants!!! And I MUST know where you got those shoes!!

gwensews said...

That outfit looks super on you. Love the pants, and the shoes!

knottygnome said...

wow, those are really bold pants! i admire your fashion-forwardness.

Caroline said...

You know, I think because it is a print with neutrals, it isn't as bold as your inspiration photo, but still different enough to be fun! I bet you will end up getting alot of use from these.

Cennetta said...

Bold and beautiful. I like. I like it a lot.

daydreamer said...

I hope you find the perfect occasion to wear this bold, beautiful outfit! I am making a few new pieces to go with my wedges as well...LOVE them!!

I've noticed that you seem to get a lot of your fabric from the internet. I am very interested in good fabric sites. Is there any way you could post about some of your favorite ones? I'd really appreciate your advice!

Keep up the awesome work! :)

Gorgeous Things said...

How fun are those pants??? You did a great job, and should be very happy with them.

Carolyn said...

Yowza!!
Hot!
That is the perfect outfit to wear with those wedges!
It may be a bold look, but you are rocking it like nobodies business... I hope there is a local very cool bar for your husband to take you and show you off!! ;)

Angela said...

Totally cute, stylish outfit!! Love it!

iowacowgirl said...

I too have the Burda pattern, but it is on the "to-do" table. I don't have a serger (next birthday?)and was wondering if you use one? Or how do you handle seams on knits???

Thanks much, your site is great!