Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Shorts in Action

I am so happy many of you were inspired by the Burda shorts pattern.  It really is a gem.  However the last post didn't do justice to the cool fabric.  So in this post I think I've captured the true sheen.  As you can imagine these shorts can be worn with a variety of tops, but I have finished the knit top, I originally planned, to make a complete outfit.  I am also going to make a tank top out of silk for a dressier look.  The tops are stacking up.  I have three, for sure, that I want/need to make now!  

The fabric for this top is a lightweight rayon lycra with  4-way stretch.  It came from FFC and was $4.75/yd.  I wouldn't recommend it if you are just starting out with knits.  It almost feels like it's tissue weight and those are trickier to sew with.  I used the basic t-shirt body of Jalie 2805 then added my choice of design details.  I liked the square neckline of New Look 6875 so I cut the neckline square.  I almost always like to do some arranging when working with stripes whether it be vertical, horizontal, or diagonal for the final look.  So I cut out rectangles on the cross-grain to make the cuffs and neckband.  They are folded, so that the outside edge is finished.  
In other sewing news, the April issue of  BurdaStyle magazine arrived last week and I have to say I am much happier with this issue than the last one.  Many of the patterns look like instant gratification projects and I love the boho feel with the way they mixed prints in the outfits in the "Untamed Beauty" section.  Here are some of my favorite looks.  By the way, the tie-dyed outfit sent me scurrying to locate my own tie-dye knit, which I found here.  I can't wait to get started on my own crazy mis-matched outfit!  The dress next to it is simple yet classy, and I love the layer concept in the last ensemble. 
And if that is not enough eye-candy for you, just for your viewing pleasure, here are the latest spring inspired market bags that I added to my shop this past week: Firestorm (sold), Butter Blossoms, and Tutti Frutti.  Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

18 comments:

Handmade said...

Looking great - yes the fabric has a lovely sheen. I'm getting lots of comments on my Purple bag that I won on your blog - everyone loves it and it's also an ideal length across your body for bike riding - thanks again!

Mary Nanna said...

Love the tee - and love the sheen on those shorts! A very pretty but casual emsemble.

Sue said...

The shorts fabric is lovely, btw, the shorts are fab too! Love the stripe top.

Mave said...

Your outfit looks great. I really like the top.
Thanks for your comment on my blog.It's wonderful to know that across the world people live in the true hope and peace, Blessings to you.

Karin said...

Cute top! I hate sewing thin, slithery knits. It looks like you have them mastered!

Kyle said...

The t-shirt is awesome! Love the stripes and the neckband and sleeve cuffs, it's like the Mondo shirt but even better!
I have that NL pattern but haven't tried it--it's cool to see what the neckline looks like as it's hard to tell with NL line drawings.
The shorts are top notch, super professional!!

Lisette M said...

Still love those shorts! I too loved the last Burda, I liked the relaxed boho feel of the designs.

Lori said...

The t-shirts is great, really like your changes. The shorts are so cute, heading to Joann's this morning and that pattern is on my list.

j.kaori said...

Those shorts are really cute --- very versatile style. I love your new market bags too! I received my new Burda mag as well and thought there were a lot of cool styles to try. I love the tie dye top as well!

Ann's Fashion Studio said...

Gorgeous outfit!

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

I love those shorts - you have inspired me to make some for summer. I like the look of knee length shorts with some funky platform sandals and a cute top.
the fabric is great and your work looks perfect.
Thanks for all the comments on my blog!

Vanessa said...

Those shorts look even "cooler" with the sheen! Thanks for sharing the new Burda pics!

Alexandra Mason said...

That top is lovely!

Myra said...

Yes, now we can really seen the beauty of the shorts fabric! They're so cute, and I love that Tee! You could be a model for J Crew with this outfit! Very nicely done!

Caroline said...

The Jalie pattern looks very versatile! I like what you've done with the stripe details.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

I love your stripey top! If you have any neckband secrets I would be eager to hear them....

Trudy Callan said...

Love your shorts.

Thanks so much for the happy birthday wish.

Texan said...

Really like those shorts. I found your blog by searcing for reviews on the Jalie #2796 skort and compression legging pattern.

I am a runner, I want to try making the compression leggings.