Thursday, March 10, 2011

New Look 6189 Elegantly Casual

I have finished New Look 6189 and am thrilled with the results.  The choice of fabric, a doubleknit, could not have been a better match for the pattern.  I give this pattern two thumbs up for ease in construction and wearability.  I also had a chance to utilize my coverstitch machine for all of the top-stitching, which I opted to do in a khaki color.  This outfit would be well-suited for cool spring days.  I think the fabric content, mostly polyester, will be too hot for  the high humidity of summer and mid-day temps in Hawaii.  But early morning and evenings will allow me to get plenty of wear from it.  I think a pair of Mary Jane styled athletic shoes would be the perfect finishing touch, but I don't have a pair of those....yet.

Here is the final look.  I cut a size 12 on the skirt, which is just two pattern pieces with an elastic waist and a size 10 for the jacket.  I didn't make any alterations. 




For those of you who are curious.  Here are some detail shots.  These first two show the inside and outside topstitching made with my Janome Coverpro 1000 CPX.
This is a shot of the inside back neck and shoulder seams.  I wasn't thrilled with the finished look, but it doesn't show while wearing.   It would have been less noticeable with a darker bias tape.
Finally, here is a close-up of the front neckline:

I would like to make this again in a double-sided knit with the longer skirt or the Burda 7890 pants I made earlier this year.  Aloha everyone!

32 comments:

Ann's Fashion Studio said...

I love this outfit. It's an outfit I can certainly see getting a lot of wear.....the cover stitch looks great.

Mave said...

That is a great outfit. I really like the simple lines of it with just the feature of the cover stitch. Lovely!

Myra said...

Oh my Shannon, I really do like this a lot! I love the color and the style and would love to have this pattern! When you say you're going to make it again using a "double sided knit", you meant it's the same look on both sides, right? If so, what are those?? (hope I'm not sounding silly!)

By the way, thank you for stopping by and the very nice comment! I do remember at least one of the tops you used that tunic pattern for!

Andrea said...

Shannon,
Your outfit turned out so nice. The lines are so clean on it. I love it. You did such a nice job. The color of your bias tape doesn't bother me at I actually think it looks good.

Joy said...

I would definitely wear this one. I like the soft and casual look, yet the skirt takes it up a notch.

A Sewn Wardrobe said...

This looks so soft and pretty!

Sharon said...

Oooo, comfy yet quite put together - I love looks like that! Great job.

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

super cute!

Andrea said...

What a great outfit! It looks pulled-together, but also comfy.

Vanessa said...

Now this is the way to do casual!! I love it!

Home's Jewels said...

Oh, that's super cute! Love it. Perfect color and fabric.

Carolyn said...

It looks great! Is that a hoodie? I have a new love affair with hoodies...

bg-booms said...

So showy outlook! It suits perfect! And color is so great!

Karin said...

What a great outfit to have on hand. Cute, casual, comfy, pretty much go anywhere!

I woke up this morning to news of a massive earthquake of the coast of Japan and warnings across the whole of the Pacific about a possible tsunami! I hope that you and your family are safe and well.

Kyle said...

Hmmmm...I told myself I wouldn't buy any more hoodies but I love the way yours looks and I might have to make it!!
Great job as usual Shannon!

Kyle said...

You're lucky to have this OOP pattern! I just looked on etsy, ebay and simplicity.com in their New Look OOP section and it's not there!

Kyle said...

Seeing Karin's comment above I looked at weather.com and saw the tsunami warnings for Hawaii. I really hope it doesn't happen!

Dharma said...

Good Morning. Just saw the news. Are you and your family OK? Praying for you. Let us (the sewing community) know if there is anything we can do for your family.

Eugenia said...

I just knew this outfit would turn out great - and it certainly has! Nice pattern, lovely fabric plus your excellent sewing skills = a winning outfit.

Myra said...

I'm praying that you're area is spared from a tsunami...please be safe!

Alexandra Mason said...

I am thinking of you and your family and hope you are all ok!

Summer Flies said...

Shannon I hope you, your family and all who you know will be ok if the tsunami comes. Absolutely devastating ... what is going on in the world.
I love your new outfit but it seems so pathetic to mention it.

sewing spots said...

Great outfit! It looks very good on you.

mom said...

Very much Love this! Comforting color of a warm cup of mocha...would be one I wore often. Another great job Shannon!

Gorgeous Things said...

I LOVE that! You did a great job and it looks fantastic. I hear the waves at HI weren't that bad (1 meter or so). I hope there wasn't any bad damage. You're upcountry, aren't you? So hopefully it didn't affect you at all.

Lindsay T said...

Super-nice work as always.

Cennetta said...

Cute outfit that's beautifully sewn.

Angela said...

Ooo.. very nice! Love it! How do you like your coverstich machine?

Caroline said...

oh my. Lovely. I would wear it probably every day!

Lisette M said...

Looks great. I love the coverstitch finishing.

elise said...

Love it

Pammie said...

Beatiful - I love this on you - casual and yet calm but nice. . .