Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Burda 7489 Details Details

Burda 7489 works up into a good looking pair of dressy shorts.  All of the details are worth the extra sewing effort from the button down belt loops to the cargo pockets.  I haven't finished the knit top that I have planned to go with these, but it's coming!  Again, I made these in a tencel or rayon denim looking fabric that is nearly black and has a nice sheen in real life.  I've stood in front of a bright window to take these pictures so that you can see the details.
Front:
There is a fly front, and it goes all the way to the top.  The waistband is finished with facing.  I do like the continuous flow of fabric with this type of finish.  The zipper has an underlap to prevent your skin from getting caught in it.
Since this pattern is designed for fabrics like linen or rayon with a flowing drape, it can be difficult to get a nice finish when topstitching the fly...unless you know a secret.  Here is how I like to do it so that I don't get any puckers.  I trace the fly from the pattern piece on to tissue paper.  Then I line it up with the edge of my center front.  I topstitch right on top of the tissue paper.  When finished, carefully tear the tissue paper away and you have a nice flat row of stitching and the fabric will not be bunched up.
 Cargo Pocket:
I like the diagonal button holes.  This fabric would be well suited for topstitching in white, but I wanted to keep the look more subdued so that I could wear lots of colors with these, so I topstitched with matching thread.
Side and Back:

The belt carriers do not have buttonholes.  I have sewn my buttons directly to the carriers.  I have not added a cuff to the shorts yet.  I will see how I like them with the cuff and post an outfit picture next with the completed knit top.  This pattern, as with most Burda's I've made, is drafted flawlessly.  The instructions are easy to follow.  However, there was one minor error in the instruction's diagram for the belt carriers.  At number 24 it tells you to stitch the carriers together as illustrated, but if you do they will be stitched together wrong.  All you have to do is fold the carrier in half, right sides together, and stitch up one side and the bottom, not all the way around, as in the illustration. 

I look forward to moving on to my knit top now that this detail laden pattern is complete.  These shorts took longer than I thought, but I am happy I made them.  The fit is fabulous and I will certainly be making more!  Hope your sewing adventures are going favorably for you this week.  I'm a bit behind with my blog reading, but I hope to catch up soon!

27 comments:

JoanneM said...

Wow. These are professional looking. Great work.

Lori said...

Fantastic shorts, super professional. A pattern I need!

Vanessa said...

Very nice shorts! That is also a great topstitching tip! Thanks!

Lisa said...

As always very professional looking ! I love this if I only I had the legs . Thankyou for the great tip about topstitching.

Laura said...

Looks great! I'm intrigued by the zip to the top - do you have any problems with the zipper coming undone and pulling down?

MushyWear said...

Laura brings up a good point. I will have to wear these for a day before I can let you all know the answer to her question about whether the zipper has a tendency to unzip itself.

Karin said...

Lovely details, and a nice fit in the hips. Just the right sort of thing for some one lucky enough to live in Hawaii! :-)

Jorth! said...

Awesome shorts! I'm kicking myself that I didn't get a pair made for myself next summer. Oh well, I'll bookmark these inspiring ones for next year!

Linda said...

You did a great job on these. Excellent topstitching and great job with zipper. Nice fit as well.
Love all the detailing on these.

Steph said...

These look exceptional. Great job!

gwensews said...

Beautiful sewing! Those shorts are terrific, and very upscale. Good job!

Uta said...

These look great! And you'll be able to wear them anytime, anywhere - so versatile!

knottygnome said...

the shorts look great! thanks for the tip on topstitching.

Irene said...

Great shorts! Love the pockets. It does pay to spend the time on details to get a garment with style. (So why is it that I tend to take the fastest route when sewing casual items?)

Kristin said...

I love the button down belt loops and the faced waist. Lovely!

Julia said...

Thanks for the tip on the top stitching for the zipper. I love all the great details.

Caroline said...

These look really great! I love all the details and time you take to make them look perfect. You'd think the first photo was a catalog shot ...

Alexandra Mason said...

These look wonderful!

Corrine said...

What a great pair of shorts and all the details are totally worth it, great job!

Rosy said...

Incredible! I loved the trick of tissue paper to the rack, I take "borrowed " it. Great job!

Gorgeous Things said...

Oh, I love those shorts. I may have to take a look at that pattern.

Angela said...

Oh wow... those look amazing! Hehe... I definitely need to make some shorts for spring/summer.

Sue said...

Fab shorts!

Lisette M said...

Great looking shorts! I love the pockets details. Thank you for the tip on topstitching the fly front.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

What a great fit! And I love all the little details.

Myra said...

Those are really cool shorts! I love the detail and the fit!

Handmade said...

Gorgeous shorts - perfect fit and great details!