Sunday, February 20, 2011

A New Tool and Other Odds and Ends

We are more than half-way through this long weekend for those of us who have Monday off.  I've been doing a fair amount of sewing, but not on clothes for me.  I am in the "building up inventory" phase for my shop so I thought it was important to focus on that.  I had a good time choosing fabric combinations for the latest bags.  These four were added to my shop yesterday and today.
I also desperately needed a new iron.  I have been happy with the Rowenta irons.  The last two I've had served me well, and so I bought another one.  New sewing tools make me happy, but not only is the new iron fabulous,  (I can't believe how much steam power I was missing!) it unexpectedly matched  the ironing board cover I purchased last week.  Bonus!
In other sewing news.  I am working on a muslin of Simplicity 2648.  Let me just say, the first round is UGLY.  I have so much work to do.  This will be an exercise in patience for me.  You all know I like to crank things out, and this won't be like that.  I'd really like to have a perfect fitting princess seam bodice.  That way I can change neckline, sleeves, and skirt portions to make all kinds of dresses.  I have a few beautiful floral prints I really want to make up into pretty spring dresses.  I chose the Simplicity pattern because of the individual cup sizes.  Alas, even the A cup will require some adjusting.  My muslin also shows a wrinkled back, wrinkled side seams, too large armsyces or in-other-words a lot of work.  I'll certainly keep you posted on my progress.  I was truly inspired by Angie's recent post.  Her finished dress was so worth the effort she put into getting her muslin just right!


Also, thanks for your thoughts on the latest skirt.  I didn't think I would make that pattern again, but Andrea mentioned that she made it in a longer length with a tencel twill and loves it.  Ever since her comment, I can't get it out of my mind that it would look wonderful in this inky purple linen/rayon blend I have in my stash.  So keep your eyes out for that and thanks for the encouragement Andrea.  Ruth asked if I don't have a project in mind how much fabric do I buy for my stash.  That's a good question.  I generally do have an idea of what I think the fabric will be good for whether it be a skirt, dress, top, jacket, pants etc.  If the fabric is 56-60 inches wide I'll generally get 2.5 yards in wovens and 2 yards in knits.  On rare occasions I buy 3.5 yards, mostly when I have a woven dress in mind.  Although I do buy fabric when a print or color or weave moves me, I do plan to be a little more organized and order at least some of my future fabrics based on what a pattern envelope recommends.  We will see how that goes!   Thanks again for the question.

15 comments:

Sue said...

Lovely bright and cheerful coloured bags you have for your Etsy shop!
Is your iron heavy? It looks like it will steam well.

velosewer said...

The bags are really cool. They will definitely go quickly.
I know with your planning, the dress will work out well.

onix said...

el bolso violeta es precioso, seguro que vendes muchos.Suerte con tu nuevo vestido

bg-booms said...

Your bags are really summer! You've made they so quickly

Karin said...

Great summer bags! I hope your shop goes well. Is this a new venture? If so, you are off to a flying start.

Carolyn said...

Such cheerful pretty bags! I love those fabrics you have chosen!

a little sewing said...

That's a great idea - making bags using such pretty fabric. I like to wear bags that can cross over the body, leaving both hands free. Does your bag work like that?

Have fun fitting your bodice. I know all too well how difficult and time-consuming it can be. Just stick with it. The feeling of accomplishment when you finish will be worth it :)

A Sewn Wardrobe said...

I'm just finishing up S2648 actually. I had to make adjustments as well to the top princess seam/underarm area. There was serious gapage. It was annoying, but I found a fix in Fit For Real People that worked.

After that, constructing the dress was smooth sailing. Today I'm going to take the finished dress in b/c I decided - after getting the whole thing done - that it was just a bit too loose. I had went up a size because in the skirt b/c I gained weight over the holidays and haven't gotten it off yet!

Sheri said...

I just finished this dress for a friend to wear to her Valentine's Day Dinner. I made size 8, D cup, full hip - needless to say, she has a very hour glass figure.

I adjusted EVERY seam, but the end result was a perfect fit. I used a black ponte knit which is very forgiving. I did an exposed zipper, black with brass teeth. It looks fabulous.

For finishing, I turned under 5/8" on neck, armholes, and hem. I then basted and clipped the curves like you did on your circle back tee (thanks for that tip). I finished with my coverstitch. I didn't use and interfacing anywhere.

This turned out to be the perfect LBD that you can throw in the washing machine. It feels like a tee shirt on but looks like a million $$$.

JoanneM said...

Great bags. Love the bright colors.

Irene said...

The bags are wonderful.
All that time spent on fitting will be worth it in the end. We all just want to get on with the "real" sewing, but you have to remind yourself that happiness is a well-fitting garment (or so I keep telling myself).

Caroline said...

Hmmm, I'm wondering how large your stash is? I really need to reduce mine, just because the rubbermaids stacked in my sewing room is starting to bug me.

I like your friend Angie's dress! I've never seen her blog before,will have to check it again. ... I'm envious you know how to make all these adjustments ... Someday I will learn ....

I'm sure it will be lovely!

knottygnome said...

good luck with the fitting! i've had my eye on that dress--i'm interested to see how yours goes.

Alexandra Mason said...

Love your bags...hope the fitting is going well!

Ruth said...

Your bags are lovely! I'm half tempted to buy one for my daughter in Switzerland who uses these types of bags for her shopping. Yes, I could make something similar, but will I???