Thursday, February 17, 2011

New Look 6944 Revealed

I had fun rounding up those spring fabrics for your viewing pleasure, as well as mine.  I am thinking about what I might like to sew for the rest of this month.  I don't normally go for pastels.  I like bolder prints and colors on me, but I am still trying to use some of my older stash fabrics so that I can feel good about adding some new spring and summer prints.  On-the-other hand, not all the fabrics in my pile are old.  The one that looks like a brocade is actually a beautiful metallic lace I purchased from Gorgeous Fabrics around Christmas time.  The pink and blue aloha fabric is a recent addition too.  I am really surprised I bought this.  It is very far from my normal, but I liked the way it made me feel when I saw it (soft, romantic,sweet, feminine), so I got 3 yards.

My latest skirt is made from two very old quilting cottons.  I didn't purchase them together, but when I saw them in one of my bins, I thought they looked pretty good combined.  Overall, I'm not in love with the shape or style of this skirt.  I would have liked it better if I had made the longer length.  Also, I think this pattern would be more suited to a fabric with more drape, like linen or rayon, especially if you are making the shorter length.  None-the-less, I do plan to wear the skirt this season, and I particularly like it styled with a denim jacket.  It kind of takes the sweetness down a notch.  Both the t-shirt and the denim jacket were purchased; the jacket several years ago. 
 Here is a good representation of the actual color and print in the skirt:

So let's review New Look 6944 which is a skirt pattern that features four godets, two in the front and two in the back.  It comes in a knee or mid-calf length and has a curved waistband.  
I made view E.  The pattern pieces fit together perfectly.  I inserted an invisible zipper on the side.  I cut the size 10, but I sewed my side seams with a 3/8" seam instead of a 5/8" seam to give me a little more room in the waistband.  As already stated above, if you are going to make the shorter length, the style would do better with a fabric that is flowing like rayon or linen.  In the longer length, I think you could still have nice results with lightweight cottons and cotton blends.  I would rate this as an easy pattern to assemble and one with which you could have a lot of fun coming up with fabric combinations or  you could just keep it elegant by using a single color like view A, with the ties.  I'm not sure if I will make this again.  I'm looking ahead to the next challenge.

Onward!  

17 comments:

onix said...

me gusta la falda, es muy primaveral

Sue said...

Yes, the denim jacket looks great and does exactly what you stated.
I want to make a feminine, swirly dress and then wear a denim jacket with it, I like the look a lot.
I was surprised to see you had combined fabrics for the skirt, when I saw the delicate floral in your pile of fabrics in your previous post I had it picked out for a summer dress!

Lori said...

Cute skirt and it looks great paired with the denim jacket. Good for you, using up older fabric.

Irene said...

The skirt is lovely. I like the way it looks with the denim jacket. Quilting cottons can be tricky, I find. They don't seem to hang as you would expect them to.

Jane M said...

Oh, yes, you styled this skirt perfectly. I for one like that length on you, especially with the skirt fullness.

knottygnome said...

i like your outfit with the jacket and the fabrics in the skirt look great together.

Vanessa said...

Your skirt is such a breath of fresh air!

Caroline said...

Oh, this is one of my favorite summer ensembles (for myself too!), -- cotton print skirt, tank top or Tshirt, and denim jacket. I love quilting cottons. Very cute!!

Debra Martin said...

I am so loving the 50s inspired looks. Your new skirt is just adorable.

Alexandra Mason said...

I love this skirt with the denim jacket!

Karin said...

That was quick! It's nice to sew up old stash. A denim jacket does rough-up a very feminine skirt or dress nicely.

Eugenia said...

Very pretty skirt - I think that you have styled it perfectly with the denim jacket - it's a great look!

Andrea said...

Ooh, I made this one too. First in a quilting cotton, much as you did, and also with mixed feelings. But I made it again out of a Tencel twill with more drape, and it's one of my favorite skirts, and probably the most-worn items I've made.

I love the combination of fabrics you used, though -- I wish non-quilting fabrics came in such pretty designs.

j.kaori said...

The skirt, especially the combination of fabrics, is really cute. I also like how you styled it with the denim jacket --- unexpected! I wonder if a vest of some sort would work too?

gwensews said...

Terrific skirt! And I like how you've styled it with denim. Very nice.

Ruth said...

Cute skirt. I'm looking forward to seeing what you sew up for spring. Question...when you purchase fabric without a project in mind, how much do you usually buy?

Ruth said...

Cute skirt. I'm looking forward to seeing what you sew up for spring. Question...when you purchase fabric without a project in mind, how much do you usually buy?