Sunday, February 13, 2011

New Look 6803 in Knit

Good morning everyone!  Thank you for your comments on the last outfit.  I've already worn it for one full day and it is so comfortable.  I am also surprised how cool a t-shirt can feel when there is a big hole cut out of the back.  That's a good thing for where I live!

I really had trouble deciding what to do with the rayon knit you are going to see in this next outfit.  I loved the color combination and the print, and when I saw it go on sale at FFC I bought 2 yards for $5.25.  When it arrived I realized it didn't stretch or recover well, but had an awesome drape and a nice weight.  After much thinking and perusing through my pattern stash I came upon New Look 6803, which is made for woven.

I thought the tunic look was just perfect for my print.  Believe it or not, the contrast fabric was just recently bought at Fabric.com from its clearance sale and cost $2.50/yard.  I got 2.5 yards.  It is tencel twill in a concrete color.  This is another fabric that feels extremely soft and cool.

The body of my tunic is made from the knit and the contrasting fabric is a woven.  It was a bit of a challenge to do a nice job applying the facing around the neck.  I just went slow and used a lot of pins.

The first thing I did to ready my pattern was to leave out the bust darts.  I also know that New Look patterns run too wide on the back neckline so I took out 1" of width there and in the back bodice.  The other alterations I made were to shorten the tunic by about 3" and to cut the back on the fold instead of having a center back seam.

And here is the completed outfit: 
Notice there is a privacy panel at the neckline.  I added that.  Yes, this pattern has a very low slit.  When I make this again I will shorten the slit about 3" if I don't want to have a privacy panel or wear a camisole.
The tunic also has bell sleeves and I love the belt that comes with this pattern.  Here is a close-up of the top:
Enjoy the rest of your weekend.  I am off to church and am wearing this outfit.  I will let you know how it performs!  Oops, nearly forgot to mention the pants were made with New Look 6005, view E, mentioned in the previous post.  Instead of a drawstring I used elastic at the waist.  

26 comments:

Vanessa said...

This is such a lovely top!! And that belt!! I love the entire ensemble!

Lisa said...

Another gorgeous outfit , thw concrete colour is lovely.

Irene said...

Beautiful! Looks so comfortable, yet somewhat dressy.

Mountain Thyme said...

I love, love, love it. This is one I am going to have to have. The belt really makes the whole outfit. Wonderful job, as usual!

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

What a wonderful tunic! I love the coordinating trim and belt!

Faye Lewis said...

Very cute outfit!

Mave said...

Your outfit looks lovely. I love the belt and how the colour flows through the outfit.

A Sewn Wardrobe said...

I just adore the print on your fabric. Such a pretty color. It really pops with the cream trim.

Melbourne, Australia said...

Lovely outfit!

Karin said...

Great tunic! I agree that the print is lovely and the cream trim is perfect with it.

gwensews said...

What a terrific looking outfit! Love the tunic, and it is perfect with your pants. Nice sewing!

KID, MD said...

It looks great! Amazing match of those colors. I have some of that tencel twill as well. It's yummy!

mom said...

Love it! colors...fabric...style. Tres chic!

Kyle said...

It's adorable!

Ann's Fashion Studio said...

Love your outfit!

Sue said...

Lovely, cool, chic outfit!

velosewer said...

You've done a great job with the knit/woven combination. The contrast really works. I like how you've dealt with the 'low' neckline. It's become a great feature. I bet it worked well at church. I'm looking forward to your b5173 dress. I was thinking of a creating tunic top too:) Enjoy your week.

Myra said...

Wow I'm behind...you've been busy! This is a wonderful top & pants, I love the colors too!

Victoria said...

What a beautiful outfit! That top is amazing!!!! You look perfect in this!

Carolyn said...

I adore this "concrete" colour! It is just beautiful!
A "privacy panel"? This is the first time I've heard of one of these....

Joy said...

I love this style of tunic and really like that fun belt.

I don't know if I've heard the term "privacy panel" either. I've heard "modesty panel" used. In my mind, it's "fake camisole", hehe.

sonoemi said...

Wow,... what a wonderful tunic!

Cennetta said...

Cute comfortable outfit.

bg-booms said...

Your outfit is so stylish and comfy! You have an adorable ability - to work with difficukt prints and make wonderful garments!!!

Christiana said...

I've been "eyeing" these '70s style tunics in the pattern books for quite some time. Your outfit is truly an inspiration. Great Job

Christiana
sewamusing.blogspot.com

Patricia said...

Saw you on facebook really like the outfit. I never seem to have the time to make clothes for myself.