I really had trouble deciding what to do with the rayon knit you are going to see in this next outfit. I loved the color combination and the print, and when I saw it go on sale at FFC I bought 2 yards for $5.25. When it arrived I realized it didn't stretch or recover well, but had an awesome drape and a nice weight. After much thinking and perusing through my pattern stash I came upon New Look 6803, which is made for woven.
I thought the tunic look was just perfect for my print. Believe it or not, the contrast fabric was just recently bought at Fabric.com from its clearance sale and cost $2.50/yard. I got 2.5 yards. It is tencel twill in a concrete color. This is another fabric that feels extremely soft and cool.
The body of my tunic is made from the knit and the contrasting fabric is a woven. It was a bit of a challenge to do a nice job applying the facing around the neck. I just went slow and used a lot of pins.
The first thing I did to ready my pattern was to leave out the bust darts. I also know that New Look patterns run too wide on the back neckline so I took out 1" of width there and in the back bodice. The other alterations I made were to shorten the tunic by about 3" and to cut the back on the fold instead of having a center back seam.
And here is the completed outfit:
The tunic also has bell sleeves and I love the belt that comes with this pattern. Here is a close-up of the top:
Enjoy the rest of your weekend. I am off to church and am wearing this outfit. I will let you know how it performs! Oops, nearly forgot to mention the pants were made with New Look 6005, view E, mentioned in the previous post. Instead of a drawstring I used elastic at the waist.