Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Winter Blues with Jalie 2682

This outfit is everything I hoped it would be.  Stylish, warm, and comfortable.  This is Winter Blues with a positive spin!  I used Jalie 2682 for the top and Burda 7890 for the pants.

Jalie 6682
What can I say, this is another winner from Jalie!  I love the ease of construction, the near perfect fit, and the shape and warmth of the neckline!  The bodice front is a double layer of fabric.  I made a size "S", but I really should have gone one size up since my fleece does not have a lot of stretch.  I can get this on and off, but not without a bit of difficulty.  Once on, it feels great! It would be a perfect base layer for snowboarding!  

I have had the fleece since my sons were quite young.  I originally planned a jacket for one of them, but never got around to it.  I matched the stripes on the side, front, and upper back, but didn't try to match the stripes on the sleeves.  Amazingly, they came out looking okay.  I used a metal zipper with navy blue twill tape, because I happened to have it in my stash.  I actually like the metal look with this.  I started to top-stitch around the zipper and along the neck edge, but was concerned I wouldn't like the result.  You can see that the short line of ripped out top-stitching left an indentation in the fabric near the left front zipper.  I will wash the top and see if that takes care of it, but if not,  I may go ahead and top-stitch all the way around.  
Burda 7890 View D
You may recognize these pants as the same ones I made for my knit PJ's back in June.  This time I added the front pockets, lowered the crotch depth 1/4", took in the side seams 1/2", and took in the center back seam about 5/8" near the top.  I made these adjustments based on the type of fabric I used.  The pants are made out of a double knit from The Sewing Studio.  The Sewing Studio has a twice yearly sale, I believe, where they discount remnants significantly.  I picked up about 1 3/8 yards of this navy for $8.22, if I remember right, to experiment with.  I wasn't sure I would like it.  I do.  

It is a medium weight, that doesn't have a lot of stretch, and feels like cotton.  The stiffer drape lends itself well for nicely fitted knit pants that don't require a zipper since there is some stretch.  To keep my waistband flat I did not add a drawstring, but used 1" wide elastic instead.  I put most of the gathering of the elastic in the back, again, to keep the front flat.  I top-stitched the waistband with my coverstitch machine, but used my regular machine to top-stitch the pockets.  I am so pleased with the fit, comfort, and style of these.  
I will be able to wear this outfit on cool mornings and evenings for the next couple of months.  I am planning to be in the northwestern United States next winter, so it will also be a great outfit for that trip!

30 comments:

Katie said...

I love your outfit! It looks so comfy :)

Danny said...

So cute! Love the colors, style and fit!

Digs said...

Very cute! I think you just convinced me to give this one a whirl any day now.

Mave said...

I love your outfit, and the neckline of the top is great. mave

Mary Nanna said...

Great to have some casual wear that's also fun, you'll just find yourself wearing and wearing and wearing these!

Marie said...

Another fantastic outfit. I am discovered Jalie love myself recently.

Kyle said...

Hmmm! I think I might have to get the fleece pattern! Very cool! I've never sewn in a big ol' zipper like that before. Maybe this winter is the time!

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

very cute and I love the color.

Lori said...

Great outfit.

Vanessa said...

I love the orientation of the stripes in your top! This is a chic outfit that looks comfy as well!

Anita (Summer Gypsy) said...

I love the outfit, particularly how the stripes go both horizontal and vertical. It fits you beautifully.

sewing spots said...

I like the stripes and zipper. Great outfit. It looks good on you.

bg-booms said...

The outfit looks very comfy! And beautiful

Amanda S. said...

Great job! Everything looks like a perfect fit.

Sue said...

Great outfit! I must dig out my Jalie patterns.

velosewer said...

Great job with the top and pants. The stripes match really well and the zipper really lifts it. Cool:)

Uta said...

This looks so pretty and comfy! The blue is a very good color on you. And I love your hair! (Much too lazy to braid myself, these days!)

gwensews said...

What a terrific, sporty outfit! Your zipper looks good, even if it has some needle hole marks (which I cannot see in the photo). Geting a zip into fleece without going wonky is an achievement!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

What a great outfit! Casual but not sloppy and very warm.

Caroline said...

oooh, I looooove this! What a great jacket! I think Jalie must have fantastic patterns. Do you have to mail order yours? I guess I need to sew my running skirt before adding to the stash. And those pants are wonderful. If I had them I think I would live in them during the winter months. But hubby might not go for that after a while. :)

Rosy said...

Comfortable and warm, this set has it all! It's a winner! I really like the arrangement of the stripes on the sweater. Great.

Handmade said...

I love that Jalie top - I've made it many times - your zipper looks great. Great outfit!!

Angela said...

Love the striped fleece! What a great outfit... I would to have that outfit to wear when I when go running right now.

Ann's Fashion Studio said...

Great looking outfit!

Ruth said...

Fabulous outfit! You are so productive....and inspiring.

Myra said...

Really, really cute! Your version is very well done! Stripe placements, zipper, fit...just perfect! I really like what you've done with the pants too...I'd like to try this too. The entire outfit looks very "comfortable chic"!!!

Lisette M said...

What a great looking outfit! Comfortable and stylish!

Alexandra Mason said...

This is fantastic!

j.kaori said...

A comfortable yet stylish outfit --- it looks fantastic! I need an outfit like that, so I may try to find that Jalie pattern!

A Sewn Wardrobe said...

I've never seen a knit fabric like your sweater's. It's so fun!