Sunday, January 9, 2011

Okay, I'll Make Two Resolutions

Hi Everyone!  I sure did enjoy reading all the comments on your bugs, lizards, geckos, snakes, and all things creepy crawly.  Very interesting and educational!  I have more creatures to share with you, but I will save them for another post!

Thank you so much for your thoughts on the latest outfit.  A couple of you commented that you might like to try making pants this year.  If you like the style, I think the Sewing Workshop pattern would be perfect to start with.  Hopefully, you would find it easy to fit since it has minimal pieces and an elastic waistband. And as so many pointed out, the front split, tab, and button are neat design details which give them a modern look.      

Continuing with sewing news, I have another ensemble planned.  I had other obligations this weekend, so I wasn't able to work on it much, but I do have one item cut out and ready to sew.  This set meets a need for casual warm clothing.  I've never worked with a nice double knit before, so I am anxious to try it with this outfit.  Here are the fabrics with their descriptions:
Lightweight striped fleece, navy double knit, peacock rayon jersey.
You may be wondering, "So what are the two resolutions?"  Well, I was inspired by Carolyn's quilt post today.  I can't think of anything more cozy for your home than handmade quilts.  I mentioned in an earlier blog post that I have started two.  Here is the infamous "Nausea Quilt":

I absolutely loved the colors and patterns in this when I started working on it.  The only problem was, I started working on it in the first trimester of my first pregnancy twelve years ago.  I was nauseated day and night.  Now, when I look at this, I still get a small twinge of queasiness.  So my first resolution is to finish this quilt and see it become a beautiful addition to my home.  In case you are wondering, I found the pattern (Around the World) for this in a book called: Bundles of Fun How to Use Fat Quarter Bundles by Susan Rakozy and the Stitchin' Post Staff.  The Stitchin' Post is a quilt shop in Sisters, Oregon, one of my all time favorite places to visit.  I have good memories of fun times there with my only sister, and this is how I will overcome the nausea association, by choosing to remember those good times instead.  I'll let you know how it goes, but expect to see this quilt finished this year regardless!

The second resolution is to finish the other quilt I have started.

It is a Stacked Coins quilt.  I am not as far along on it as the first, and I started it about a year and a half ago.  I fell in love with the fabric in this collection.  It is by Tula Pink for Moda, and the line is called Neptune.  I will finish the rows of stacked coins (I have two or three to go depending on how big I want it) and use white as my sashing.  So there you have it.  Besides my resolution to "Keep sewing... Ha... How's that for specific?" I've gone ahead and put these two challenges for myself out there!  Feel free to keep me accountable!  

15 comments:

Karin said...

I just finished a simple quilt for my Mom. If I didn't have Xmas as a deadline, it would probably still be languishing! I like your colour choices in both future quilts. I do hope you finish them!

Sue said...

I love the fabrics you have chosen, the stripe is fab.
You should definitely finish those quilts. They will look great around your home.

sewing spots said...

I hope you're able to get around the nausea association. Pretty quilts--good luck!

Irene said...

Your quilt beginnings look wonderful. Quilts intrigue me and I admire the work of others, but somehow I've never gotten past the "dabbling" stage. Will be waiting to see the final results of your quilting work.

Vanessa said...

I have never ventured into quilting, but your quilts look good so far! I hope you finish them!

Julia said...

The colors in that nausea quilt are beautiful! The only quilting I ever attempted was when my two oldest girls were little. I was going to make appliqued quilts for their beds, but then I found out I was pregnant and decided that I wasn't making 3. I just put away the blocks. Over the years, I've made pillows and a wrap for my mom from them. I did make a comforter for my grand that I guess would be considered an appliqued quilt.
Anyway, I'm impressed by your varied talents!

knottygnome said...

very cool! good luck with both of your quilts.

Ruth said...

Both quilts are awesome. I once made a stacked coin quilt---fun pattern. "Keep Sewing" -- great resolution. :)

Lisette M said...

I love to quilt also. The one I have been working on for many years is an applique quilt and it is very slow going, in between I have made other patchwork quilts, which are quicker to finish. Funny how things work...I used to feel queasy when I saw brightly colored striped knits, all I can remember that it was a childhood memory.

Carolyn said...

Thankyou for the mention. Woo, I can't believe I've inspired someone with that old thing... yours will be so much more beautiful!

Caroline said...

Oh, I want to do pants too!

The quilt top is really pretty. I hope you do finish it! I'd like to do a full size quilt for our guest room with some of my scrap fabric at some point. It didn't make my list for this year because ... well ... I wanted to be realistic!

Handmade said...

Good for you - a "Nausea Quilt" will certainly be a new title for Quilters to look out for - and I love Neptune by Tula Pink - they will be lovely - let's say 2 weekends away and they'll be done???

Rosy said...

I never heard a quilt with a fun name, "Nausea Quilt". I hope that when you finish it, have more memory to associate with it and you can change ITS name. I think lovely, wonderful colors!

amber said...

I like both of those quilts. Here's to getting them both completed very soon. :)

Myra said...

Good luck on your quilts! I can't wait to see what you do with the Fleece and knits..very nice colors and fabrics!!!