Saturday, January 15, 2011

Now all I Need is an...

...invitation to the Sundance Film Festival next weekend.  I have just the outfit!  A girl can dream can't she?
Here are the two patterns I used for the top and skirt:
The Top:
The fabric was a Christmas purchase from Hart's Fabric.  It is a polyester Ski Sweater design knit ($10.99/yard ).  I used Jalie 2805, the long sleeve view but elongated the mock turtleneck to a true turtleneck.  There is not much to say about construction.  The instructions are straight forward and the fit is great.  I made the size "s" or "6", and I added about 1.5" to the bottom width of the t-shirt so it wouldn't be too tight.  
The Skirt:
I love this skirt pattern; V7879.  There are so many options.  I definitely have plans to make more versions.  But I am thrilled with this military-like first go at it.  The fabric is a brushed, cotton, bottom-weight bought on clearance at FFC a couple of years ago (3 yards for $9.00).  I used an Indian Head nickle button for the cargo pocket.  Here are close-ups of both:

I made view D, with a couple of modifications.  I added 1.5" of length and therefore lowered the placement of the pockets about 1".  I also added 1" to the waist, tapering back into the normal side seam about 4 " down.  Finally, I inserted an invisible zipper.  Lest you think this skirt is completely "squared away", I had a little fun with the facing, which will never be seen except by you and me. 
 
Alas, even if I don't make it to the Sundance Film Festival, this outfit will come in handy for my winter trip in December along with the last outfit.  Thank you all for your thoughts on "Winter Blues".  One thing I was worried about with the pants was whether the fabric would bag at the knees or derriere after a day of wearing.  I am happy to report, they do not.  Phew!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, and I hope you are all finding a little time to sew!

30 comments:

Home's Jewels said...

Wow - what a great outfit! I love the top fabric and the skirt looks like a great basic wardrobe piece that could be worn with so many items.

The boots, the whole look - wonderful!
Great job!

Handmade said...

Great ensemble - especially the cute skirt - great work!

Trudy Callan said...

That is a gorgeous outfit.

Sue said...

The skirt is fabulous! Love it. The whole outfit looks great.

velosewer said...

How cool. I love the outfit. Your skirt is so well detailed and cute. I hope the invite is in the mail...

Uta said...

Great outfit! I love the military styling, and you sewing is impeccabel! Oh, and I want those boots!!

Karin said...

Cute outfit! The Indian Head button is a nice touch. I am glad to hear that you are going somewhere in December and will have the chance to wear it. When I first looked at your pics, I wondered how cold it actually got in Hawaii!

nette said...

Love the sweater! Actually, your whole outfit is adorable! :)

Mazzygirl said...

Wow Shannon, gorgeous outfit - love it!
Love the detailing on the skirt too, really nice!

gwensews said...

Terrific outfit! Both pieces are great, together, or worn seperately. I like how you used the nickle for a button. Love the cargo pocket!

sewing spots said...

That's a great look on you! I really love that skirt.

Lisette M said...

I love this outfit! The skirt is super cute.

Sigrid said...

Great outfit, the skirt is a great basic and the top is such fun fabric.

Lori said...

Beautiful outfit, the skirt is so cute, going to have to get that pattern.

alethia said...

The sweater is awesome, and pretty. Nice outfit!

Andrea said...

I love this outfit. I looks so comfortable. By the way, your boots are hot.

Ann's Fashion Studio said...

Love your outfit!

Ann Brodsky said...

This looks so warm and cozy! I love that skirt pattern, and the sweater knit fabric is just gorgeous!

mom said...

Love the look!...of course the buttons are a favorite. It's a keeper.

Eugenia said...

I really love the fabric you have used for the top - it has turned a simple turtle neck into something very special. The skirt is great - that looks like an excellent pattern to have - I like ones like this that give you lots of options. As always, you have done an excellent job!

Vanessa said...

A cute ensemble! I love the peekaboo facing in the skirt! You always do such a good job!

Alexandra Mason said...

i love this outfit, that skirt is wonderful! Hope you have a great week.

a little sewing on the side said...

great outfit!

Joy said...

I love this outfit - you keep churning them out (:

The sweater knit is amazing - I never run into nice ones like that at my local fabric haunts.

Shannon said...

Wow! That is such a spunky little outfit - I love this on you!!

Kyle said...

That Hart's Fabric site has amazing fabric. I didn't know about them, so thanks for the link!
Your shirt and skirt are awesome and your sewing is impeccable as always. I really like the pleat in the front, and also the pleated pocket. Love the Indian Head nickel. I used to wear a watch with an Indian Head penny as the watch face.

Joy said...

Yes! Thanks for the link - it looks like they have a lot of really fun fabrics. Now that I've found a number of trusted fabric sites, I've settled into a rut!

Caroline said...

Oooh, I love the sweater, it looks like a handknit sweater from a distance. This is so cute! The skirt looks like it would be quite versatile too.

I saw on Carolyn's blog that you grew up in Portland. My mom did too, from 1943 until about 1960 when she went to Boston for college. She used to ski on Mt. Hood. I visited once in the late 90's. It seemed like a really neat city!

knottygnome said...

i love the outfit! it's awesome that you got a colorwork ski sweater without having to do all that knitting. :-)

Myra said...

Shannon, very, very cute outfit! I'm really interested in that skirt, you did an awesome job on it and it looks soooooo comfortable! That would make a very cute little summer skirt too with the pockets and all! Very nice!