Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Did You See?!

Aloha Everyone!  Thank you so much for your feedback on the latest outfit.  I agree with many of you who said the skirt would be a good candidate for summer wear as well.  I have some basic t-shirts I need to make and it would look great with those too.  Plus, I just received the Burda Style magazine, February 2011 issue, and the Vogue skirt is quite similar to pattern #120 and #121.  I like how they have made one of their versions out of boucle.    

But I've got to ask you...Did you see the cool ITY knits that Fabric.com recently got in?  They are $5.98/yard, 92% Polyester/8% Lycra, and the most interesting color/print combinations.  I couldn't resist getting 5 swatches.  Here are four of them, with the fifth already made up into a fun, fun, fun, dress using New Look 6948, View A! 
The first one you see starting from the left is 2 yards and will be made up into a dress, the next three I only ordered a yard with skirts in mind.  However, the one yard cuts have quite a few inches more than 36 inches.  That is why, to my delight, I was able to make my absolute favorite one into New Look 6948, View A. 
Here it is.  This is a very easy pattern.  The most difficult part is folding and basting the eight pleats, 4 at the neck and 2 on each side front, since the knit is so fiddly.  But if you can handle that, the rest of the dress is a breeze.  The neck and armholes are finished with self-fabric bands.  I apologize for the quality on the pictures.  I took them after dark and had to lighten them quite a bit.  This fabric is called "Feather Blooms" with coral and turquoise being the dominant colors.  I love this dress!  It is comfortable and loose but totally chic with its interesting silhouette.  I will definitely be making more of this dress, and hopefully can get better pictures of the next one.  

31 comments:

Uta said...

The shape of the dress is perfect for you! I also love the batik-like print, very pretty. I found that I hardly wear colorful prints on knits anymore; usually solids or very discreet/small scale prints on wovens. Why? I have no idea, but they look great on you and I'm sure fit your island lifestyle!

bg-booms said...

Wow!!!!
So beautiful print and model! You look fabulous!!!!!

nette said...

this dress is astonishing! the colors and the shape of the dress are so vivid. wonderfully done. i would love to wear it, too!

Sue said...

Yes, that's a really cute dress. Looks great on you!

Alexandra Mason said...

Fantastic dress! I love the fabric.

Little Hunting Creek said...

This is a very cute dress! Love the print

sewing spots said...

Knits are so easy! I love the pattern you chose for the knit. It looks great on you.

gwensews said...

That dress looks fantastic on you! The print is awesome, and probably quite fitting for Hawaii! Nice sewing!

Lisette M said...

So chic! I love it! You look wonderful!

Lisa said...

What a great pattern ( I've added to my wish list lol ) Your dress is just gorgeous and suits the print brilliantly.

Caroline said...

ooooh, I really like this, the ultimate in summer comfortwear, and still looking lovely! Can't wait to see what you do with the others - esp. the middle two.

Irene said...

So chic. So comfortable. So summer. Makes me forget about all that snow outside (well, almost).

Beth said...

TOO TOo Cute -
I so enjoy seeing what you have made. Each morning I open up your site with my cup of coffee and enjoy.
Thanks,
Beth

knottygnome said...

it's so fun and casual. you pull off that look very well!

sonoemi said...

A very nice dress! I like the pattern!

Amanda S. said...

LOVE the dress and the fabric. I just headed over to Fabric.com, dreading the fact that I was going to have to buy more fabric that I don't need. But, they are sold out of the most beautiful prints that you nabbed, so I'm both relieved and slightly bummed at the same time. lol

Beth said...

Heads up Everyone. The ITY knits are marked down 40% today on Fabric.com, today they are $3.59

Dawn said...

Okay, I'm buying! You are a baaaaad ITY enabler!!!! Love that dress!

Julia said...

Gorgeous!

Karen said...

I've made this dress too! Did it in a merino for winter and love it.
Have also made the singlet - both with the back opening and adjusted the pattern so that I made another singlet without the back opening/tie. (Like that one much better). You've inspired me to get the dress pattern out again for summer! :)

velosewer said...

Your dress is just beautiful. It's stunning, lovely and will bring on the wolf-whistles. You look great. The print placement is spot on.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

You really have to have a great figure to look good in that dress and boy do you! Sensational! Now, please stop tempting me with colorful knits. I want them all.

Ann's Fashion Studio said...

Gorgeous! I love the print and the dress.

Mary Nanna said...

What a great dress on you - you look fantastic! You have got to love those simple patterns that just come together but look so much more complicated...

Ann Brodsky said...

What a fantastic dress! I am so getting this pattern now. I love your fabric too- off to shop!

Handmade said...

WOW!!! WOW!!!! Fantastic pattern - and excellent fabric!!

j.kaori said...

That is a fantastic dress pattern! I never would have picked that one out based on the envelope, but your version is just great! The fabric is very cool too!

Myra said...

OO LA LA is right!!!! I have this pattern and haven't made it yet, that is the version I was looking at too. Thanks for reviewing, I love it! Adore your fabric selection too!! Great dress!

mom said...

LOVE THIS!...makes me want to sing: "SOMEWHERE OVER THE RAINBOW...Blue birds sing!"

Angela said...

Love your choice of fabrics!! That dress is fantastic! Hehe... it's so stylish and fun and yet comfy looking!

Nettie said...

I really love this dress!! So easy to throw on and GO! You look amazing!