Saturday, January 22, 2011

Burda 7658

Hello Everyone!

How is your weekend going so far?  I am grateful for a slow one.  Last weekend my oldest DS was at Tween's Camp (grades 4-6) with our church, and I picked him up on Monday.  While he had the time of his life, and looks forward to this camp every year, he did come back completely exhausted.  Unfortunately, the cold he'd battled before camp came back and knocked him out for 3 days.  He is feeling much better this weekend and I'm sure will be back to his old self soon.  Thought you might like to see pictures of the area around the camp the kids stay at, located at the base of the west Maui mountains.  We live on the opposite side of the island, on the slopes of Haleakala, and cross the valley of sugar cane below to get here. 
View from the parking lot looking into the Pacific.

Camp sign at entrance.

Outdoor pool, which is quite chilly for Maui kids this time of year. Doesn't stop them from using it though!
Burda 7658

Bit by bit I have been working on Burda 7658.  I was able to finish it up this morning and will wear it tomorrow.  Yesterday I wore the previously posted dress all day and confirm that it is a wonderfully comfortable dress.  If it suits your style, I highly recommend it!  And thank you for your lovely comments on it.
I used an interesting cotton lawn for this project that I purchased from FFC a couple of years ago  (2 yards for ~$10.50 total).  I cut the size 10 on the bodice, but added 2 inches to the width of the waist after measuring the tissue.  Therefore, I used the size 12 for the skirt portion and it matched pretty closely to the added fabric on the waist.  As you can see from the technical drawing, there are 4 pleats on the front, but there are also 4 pleats on the back, which balances the silhouette.  I love the cut in shoulders and the front pockets.  I used 8 buttons and stitched them on with royal blue thread to pick up the blue in the print.  Also, instead of using the tiny piece of facing on the back neckline, I opted to clip the seam allowance at the shoulder seams and make a flat fell seam to finish.  Here are some pictures:
Oops, forgot to straighten the buttons before the photo.
Flat fell seam to finish inside collar at the back neckline. 
 And here is the dress:

In other news, you may have noticed an Etsy button on my side bar.  I love the combination of linen and aloha fabrics and I love to make market bags, napkins, bibs, etc.  So having a small shop gives me the opportunity to express this side of my creativity and hopefully bring cheerful and useful products to those who may be interested.  Soon I will be celebrating my one year blogaversary and the opening of this store with a fun  give-away.  I hope you all will enter!

29 comments:

Ruthie said...

Lovely dress. Your sewing is immaculate and you always look wonderful in your outfits :-)

Alexandra Mason said...

Love your dress! Good luck with your Etsy shop, going to have a look now.

Handmade said...

Lovely dress - very flattering. Good on you for the Etsy store - hope it goes well!! Nice photos of your beautiful island!

Eugenia said...

Beautiful dress - I love the style. It's flattering and looks very comfortable and cool but also very elegant. Great news about your Etsy store - I am sure that it is going to be a huge success!

Sew4Fun said...

What a lovely dress!

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

Oh I love that dress, now I need to find that pattern.
looks great on you.
And as a fellow Etsy seller - let me tell you I find it serves to feed my fabric addiction - in a good way !

Anita (Summer Gypsy) said...

Beautiful dress. The color is gorgeous and it very flattering on you.

Marybeth said...

How pretty!

Lori said...

Beautiful dress, you do such wonderful work. Hope your son feels better soon.

Sue said...

That's a lovely dress.
The photos of the camp area look amazing, so green and lush.
All the best with your Etsy shop, I'm sure it will go really well.

Adrienne said...

Beautiful dress!

Vanessa said...

This is a great dress! I really like the way it fits you. Also, I hope your son is doing much better, the camp looked like a great place to be.

Kyle said...

Hope your son is feeling better!
The dress fits you so nicely!
Hurrah for the opening of your etsy shop! Congrats! I love your "MushyWear Made in Maui" labels!

onix said...

es un vestido precioso

Lisa said...

What a gorgeous dress, I love those cutaway shoulders. Your fabric is beautiful.

gwensews said...

What a beautiful state. You must feel truly blessed every day of your life. Cute dress! I'm going to look at your Etsy shop right now.

Linda said...

Beautiful scenary! I like the new dress, very flattering on you. Great job!

Mountain Thyme said...

I adore that dress pattern. I think I will try it. Good job!

Isn't living in Hawaii like camp everyday anyway?

Mary Nanna said...

That looks like a great dress for a hot climate. Best of luck with your small business venture!

RedHeadShannon said...

I need to check out that pattern. It looks great on you!

SewItFits said...

Hi! I don't have a blog but I have been following yours for quite a while. I very rarely comment (just a surfer) but just wanted to say I really enjoy seeing your completed projects and love your taste. Just so happens, I've made this dress last summer and was very satisfied with the results. I love seeing others' garments that I have made and I love Burda patterns as they always seem to have a good fit and directions are pretty easy to follow.
Anyway, LOVELY dress!

Gorgeous Things said...

Love love love LOVE the dress!
Fabulous!

velosewer said...

The detailing on your dress is gorgeous. You do great work. This is a really flattering style on you. Beautiful. And it's my favourite base colour too.

Caroline said...

very pretty dress! And lovely scenery. Will have to check out your store ... I keep thinking I should make my sewing pay for itself someday, but I am so sloooow.... Good for you!

mom said...

really like this as well, especially the neck and shoulder style....light and airy for the Islands.

jorth said...

Love that dress - it looks great! Best of luck with the new store :)

Angela said...

Lovely dress!! You look stunning on it! Congrats on your store, too!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

So cute! I've had this pattern in my queue for a yellow eyelet for, oh, two years now. I love your version and you are inspiring me to make mine as soon as I switch to warm weather sewing.

Nettie said...

I love this! I was just thinking of making a dress like this last night. It's beautiful! And perfectly fitted as usual.