Monday, January 31, 2011

BB's Go Bang!

As in Burda Style Skirt #108 from the July 2010 issue and Butterick 5562 view D.  Together they are a bang of color!  I have made the twisted bubble hem skirt one time already back in June here.  I wear it all the time, so when I saw a beautiful silk jersey knit at Harts Fabric, I ordered 2 yards with this skirt in mind.  I wanted a dressier version, and I had never worked with silk jersey, so I was up for the challenge of a new fabric.  I had some pale, dusty, grape-colored, nylon (?) tricot in my stash and used it for the lining.  My machine handled both fabrics easily with a jersey needle, but cutting them with scissors was a challenge.  The silk jersey left tiny specks all over my sewing table and gunked up the spring mechanism in the scissors.  I use Fiskars that spring back to cut all my fabric.  I think I will need a new pair after cutting both these fabrics. 

Here is the skirt:
Invisible Zipper
Lining
The only thing I did different on this version of the skirt, was I cut the lining two inches shorter to begin with, and I only twisted the skirt 45 degrees instead of 90 degrees.  Sonoemi had mentioned this when she made her skirt and I thought I would give it a try.  To me, the hem seems to have come out about the same as my last skirt.  I still get a peek of the lining at times, but overall I'm happy with it.  I think using less of a twist is an improvement, and I would recommend doing it.   

I was inspired to make Butterick 5562, view D after seeing Amanda's and Sharon's version.  I thought it would be a nice compliment to the bubble hem skirt and would be great styled casually with jeans for my winter trip to the mainland later this year.  I used an 11 oz. rayon jersey from Gorgeous Fabrics in the Bright Turquoise color.  I made the XS size, but cut the collar in a small size with regards to the width.  I didn't want it too tight across my body and therefore have a tendency to ride up.  I also took the sleeve seams in an extra 6/8" so they would be more snug around my arms and wrist.  I wanted the body of the t-shirt to fit closer too and did the following alteration:
Sides taken in for a more fitted look on the torso.
I also took Sharon's and Amanda's advice and made a casing in the collar seams to put the elastic through for a cleaner look.  Finally, I cut 2" off the length before I hemmed it.  I used my coverstitch machine for all hems, and Jalie Patterns' method of stitching knit seams for all other seams.  Here is a close-up:
        And the whole look:
You will probably see this skirt again, as I plan to make other warm weather knit tops to wear with it.  So many colors to choose from for coordinating tops!  Nice.

PS: For El, I haven't really researched running with kids.  It's something I should do and probably will do.  Right now, I just take them to the local park where there is a nice paved trail and I have them run short, maybe 220 meters, then walk 220 meters, then repeat 3 times.  I'm not sure how long it will take to get them up to a mile, but I have a feeling not too long, (Thanks for the encouragement Caroline.  Hope you are back at it now.)  I'll keep you posted on my progress!  Great to hear you are planning the same with your older ones!  Enjoy the process!

34 comments:

bg-booms said...

WOW!!! So beautiful! I love this skirt and jumper!
A print of skirt is fantastic!

Lisa said...

Wow I love bright colours . The skirt will be perfect in Summer with any number of tops. The top is cute too !

Eugenia said...

That outfit is a real pop of gorgeous summer colour. I am loving looking at it while sitting here in grey, dull London! Both pieces are beautiful, they go well together but each of them is going to look great with other garments. I think that the top will be perfect for adding some glamour when worn with a pair of jeans.

Nettie said...

You look absolutely stunning! I LOVE that skirt! And the top works with this wonderfully but can be worn with so much else. Two very versatile pieces!

Alexandra Mason said...

These look fantastic!

Lori said...

Fantastic job, beautiful colors.

Carolyn said...

I adore that top. Both the gorgeous shape and the colour! I think I might have to add this pattern to my stash, thankyou for showing it made up so beautifully!

knottygnome said...

great outfit! i LOVE that skirt. the fabric is gorgeous.

Audrey said...

Beautiful outfit. The silk jersey gives a nice drape to the skirt

Mary Nanna said...

A very fashionable ensemble! The colours and drape work beautifully together.

Caroline said...

Oh, it won't take them long at all. Well, depending on their personalities, my little goose wants to do more and more each time, a bit type A like his mommy, so I have to hold him back. On the other hand, he stops when he's tired and asks for a drink, or points out the scenery, or has something really pressing he wants to talk about, so I think it's okay ... I don't have experience with the preschool kids but used to coach grades 7-12 and feel like if it is non-competitive, and they are comfortable, it's probably fine. (however, I'm still going to have to hold goose back I think, though since he's been sick even a mile yesterday required quite a few breaks for him) USATF has some resources on kids running you could research. I hope you post more about that ... Lovely outfit, too by the way.

Opal said...

Nice outfit. I love the colors.

velosewer said...

Love the skirt and the top. Thank you for the skirt instructions. They're going to be really handy. I also love how the top is so well structured on you.

Nai said...

I like this top too, it looks great on you, but for me I don't think its 3yo friendly. It doesn't look like you could lift your arms.

MushyWear said...

Ah Nai, you are right. This is not three year old friendly, but would be a perfect date night top!

Tasia said...

Great outfit - LOVE the colours!!

Caroline said...

actually, I was wrong. it was NYRR ... my coach from when I used to compete sent me this link - I was asking her about shoes for my then 4 year old runner (up until then he had been running in his crocs) she directed me here : http://www.nyrr.org/ycr/about_ycr.asp

we haven't searched about a whole lot - I didn't find much about shoes, but there's alot of good info. I know goose would love watching the videos.

BTW, I got him nike frees, because she suggested speciality running stores for advice, and the closest one is two hours away, so in the meantime ....

gwensews said...

Those are both really cute pieces, and they look fantastic together.

Ann's Fashion Studio said...

Gorgeous outfit!

Dharma said...

Oh, both pieces are so great looking!

Handmade said...

Another fabulous outfit - great colours!

Jane M said...

Wow, great colors and wonderful designs. Love the skirt twist and adore that great top.

Sharon said...

WOW! Love it and want it. Both are absolutely gorgeous on their own and stunning together.

Lisette M said...

What a gorgeous outfit, you look beautiful!
On my version of this skirt I also shortened the lining but the lining will peak through everyone once in a while, I guess the safest thing would be to use the same fabric for the lining.

Carolyn said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures and they brought back happy memories for you! Yes that is Crater Lake. To say it was cold is an understatement...

Omega said...

Really cute outfit, love the colors.

Cennetta said...

Yes! This is a great chic outfit. Looking good lady.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

You know you are wearing my favorite colors there, right? And making me want to make that t-shirt? I hope to get some striped fabric someday to copy everyone else with it, but a solid would do in a pinch, too. Love this outfit.

Dawn said...

Great outfit! Love the top. Have you ever used Gingher scissors? They have a serrated scissors that is perfect for cutting slippery, delicate and fine fabrics. Worth the investment. Usually a good buy at JoAnn Fabrics, online or in store when you have coupons or they are on sale.

Myra said...

Absolutely awesome Shannon!!! I wasn't going to get this pattern before, but it's now a must have!! Glad Butterick is about to go on sale! Thank you for a great post! PS..love the skirt too, it's beautiful! Don't know if I'll ever make it, just a little intimidated by that pattern!

Sue said...

Gorgeous skirt and the blue top together looks fabulous! Really pretty colours that look lovely on you.

Angela said...

Love the outfit! It's very inspirational~! The silk jersey is gorgeous and I totally need to pick up that Butterick pattern!

Julia said...

This outfit is amazing! Beautiful!

j.kaori said...

Fantastic outfit! The colors are so cheerful!