New Look 6940 went together easily. It is a pattern for a twisted knit top and only has 4 pieces. I wondered if the twist part would be difficult and that stopped me from sewing it for a while. But I am glad I tried it. It was really easy to do. I will make a couple more of these this summer. I made a size 10 with a couple of alterations. To begin, I took in the back center seam a total of one inch at the neckline and tapered it down to the seam line about 6 inches down the back. Next, I used a 6/8 inch seam allowance on the shoulder to bring the neckline up a bit. That meant that I also needed to scoop out about 1/2 inch under the armholes. I used my coverstitch machine to hem the bottom and the armholes. The pattern called for a bias tape finish on the neckline, but I had read a couple of reviews on pattern review.com about this not working out very well. I opted to finish my neckline with 3/8 inch elastic. I zigzagged the elastic to the edge all around the neckline including the back all the way to the other side. I measured it about 2 inches shorter than the distance so that it would be snug. After that, I folded it over and topstitched it with a double needle. I think this method worked out fine, although my elastic may have been just a wee bit too short, because I have a little wrinkling in the front. So I will measure it a little longer next time. Also, this pattern is really long in the torso. I ended up cutting off 4 inches from the bottom before I hemmed it.
The skirt is fast and easy and was made with Burda 8176. I blogged about it here. Wow, it's the weekend already! Have fun!
Twist top close up: