Sunday, November 7, 2010

Motivation

Thank you for your thoughts on my latest silk blouse.  I am going to work out the fit issues on the pattern and make another version very soon!  I feel like I have had some real sewing challenges lately, so it was time for something a whole lot easier.  There were many directions I could have gone to satisfy this need, but let me tell you what inspired me to create this latest outfit, YOU!  I have enjoyed seeing posts about the clothes you are making for your various exercise routines.  Here are a few examples: Uta and Cidell do ballet, Renee, Caroline, and Dawn  all run.  I also love to run.  Sewing is probably the hobby I enjoy most, but next to that is running.  I can't think of anything more motivating than having new workout clothes.  But they are so expensive and don't always have the features you may want! 

I have made up Jalie 2563, view A and Jalie 2796, the Multi-Sport Skort.  And actually it was Cidell's version of this skort that made me realize I needed one, or two, or three....of these.  They are so cute, but are they functional for my preferred choice of exercise?  Ah...I will get to the answer very soon.

Here is the completed outfit with a rtw tank top, PRE-RUN.  Oh yes, I put them through the moves right away.  There are two things to test before I commit to making another set.  1) Are they comfortable? and 2) Do they perform well?  Other considerations include: Quality of Construction-I think I can vouch for that, Affordability-maybe $10.00 for all the materials, Style-very nice, you can't beat a sporty and girly combination. 
The fabric is 90% nylon/10% lycra rib knit.  It feels buttery soft and stretches and recovers really well, but has a bit too much drape for true sport's wear.  However, the sport's top works because I lined it with a stiffer, stretchier, wicking, fabric and all the openings are hemmed with elastic.  The skort works because I added 1" wide elastic to the the waistband to ensure it stays put.  The pattern does not call for this.  I used my coverstitch machine for the double needle topstitching.  Here are some close-up details of each.

Pocket on both sides for key, ID, and/or IPod.
I made the compression shorts, low waist, version. 
 POST-RUN shot.  Did it pass all my requirements? With Flying Colors!  Have a great week everyone!
 
  

32 comments:

Handmade said...

Excellent sporty outfit!

Mazzygirl said...

great outfit, the possibilities for this pattern are endless! make sure you show us all the ones you make! I'd wear this playing squash too, as the shorts underneath just give that extra feeling of security....(alos good if you come a cropper, probably a risk with running too!!)totally love it!

Carolyn said...

Excellent running outfit! I LOVE the sport's skirt, very cute and girly enough to suit the girlyest girl!

Uta said...

Wow, you look great and so does your outfit! I love the style and the fabric combination. And 10 dollars for materials? What a steal!

Karin said...

This is really cute workout wear, and it certainly doesn't look at all home-made. It looks trendy and sporty!

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

Stylish and functional. What more could you ask for.

Sue said...

Great outfit!

melissa said...

Thanks for the in-use review of the skort - most of the other reviews of it weren't by runners, so it's hard to tell if the shorts ride up or the skirt isn't wide enough for a good stride, etc.

And if you couldn't tell by that, I'm another sewing runner (or running sewer)! The only problem with sewing your own running gear is that it's just TOO good - the running top and trousers I made two years ago aren't showing any signs of needing replacing anytime soon, so I don't know when I'll get to sew more! (it doesn't help that my mom keeps buying me exercise gear, either, which keeps my running drawer overflowing!).

Lori said...

Great looking running gear, you did a fantastic job as always :).

RuthieK said...

Oh very nice!

Caroline said...

Oh, fantastic! Do they have an option of a brief underneath instead of compression shorts? And $10 - much better than $50 for a running skirt ... I've never thought about sewing my own running duds ... .will have to rethink this, I think! :)

Home's Jewels said...

Wow - it looks amazing. Great fabric choice.

Julia said...

No wonder you look so great. Ok, it's time to get on my stair stepper!

Renee said...

Your clothes look great! I haven't tried any Jalie patterns yet for running gear. But, I do need to get sewing some more running clothes now that it is cold here - below freezing in the mornings! So, I might have to wait to make the skort until spring. :)

Vanessa said...

I like your workout outfit! I like to walk/run myself, though I never thought of sewing myself workout gear.

Dawn said...

Dammit! Now I need those two patterns from jalie too! Your versions are great!!!

Irene said...

My - it's an odd thing to look at your photos and to see my fabric. This past summer I made a swimsuit out of the purple/cream fabric - well, the tank top was the that fabric, and the bottoms were black.

Ann Brodsky said...

Gosh, that is a cute outfit! I love how you combined the solid and the print. The pocket in the skort is so useful. I will be ordering this pattern!

Marie said...

Looks fabulous. Makes me (almost) want to take up running.

Ann's Fashion Studio said...

Very nice looking outfit! I like the contrasting fabric and the style is very flattering and it does look comfortable!

Kyle said...

Great workout gear! and I love your two french braids. I'm growing my hair out for a year with the goal of being able to braid it on both sides. (I'm 10 months in!)

Mary said...

As I said on PR, I want these :-) Great workout gear. And, as always, they look very good on you.

Alexandra Mason said...

Love your sports outfit, and i love your wool skirt and blouse in your previous posts! Hope you have a great week.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Awesome running clothes! Now I feel like I should make some tops...

Caroline said...

Ooooh, thanks for answering my question. I need to order this pattern!!

Another question, I looked at the online pattern instructions and it seems they called for 4-way stretch but your fabric description sounded more like "normal" jersey just stretching across the grain?

Another, the pattern must call for a self-fabric waistband - did you just use that waistband as a location to thread your elastic?

Thanks so much. I looked for running skirts online and they seem to be close to $50 and a pattern + fabric would be less than this - and stretch my sewing skills a bit too.

Oh, one more - when you hem with elastic, do you stitch it right along the edge with a zigzag and then fold over and stitch down with something like a three step zigzag? How do you know how long to cut your elastic?

Thanks for putting up with all my questions! I'm going to take my non-cute self running now. :)

Caroline said...

Thanks for answering all my questions! The pattern seems to be rated "easy" :) I've asked Kevin for it for Christmas. Who knows, I may have to retire my running shorts entirely. Which would not be a bad idea as they all are at least 6-7 years old, and look it too. Have a good day!

Angela said...

Very nice!! Now wonder you had the motivation to run. I should make my own workout clothes, too!

Myra said...

I have this pattern to, but have not made it yet. Thanks for you timely review! I was concerned because the first review I read said she had to an adjustment for her hips & backside because it raised in the back. I see you didn't have that problem. I'm going to give it a try soon.

Debbie said...

Just wanted to say how much I totally enjoy your blog postings. I'm an injured runner down here in Christchurch, New Zealand who is nervous about getting back out training and potentially injured again! You've inspired me to make some new kit, so I'll feel very relaxed about going slow enough to limit the risk and know I'm giving people the chance to admire my find handiwork :0). Thanks again Debbie

cidell said...

Oh. Wow. This looks awesome. I'm making a runnink outfit for my roommate for Christmas and I'm totally copying this look! I myself hate running. Can't pace myself and always feel ridiculous. But, I totally admire and am jealous when I see people running.

amber said...

Super cute set! Even better, it's functional. :) Activewear scares me a bit (to sew, that is), but I love seeing all of the creations from the sewing bloggers.

Judith said...

thanks for your review and tweaks on this outfit. They have been extremely helpful. Now all I need to do is source the pattern so I can make it myself.