Friday, November 12, 2010

Cascading Roses

I hope you all had fun wondering what the fabulous linen fabric, in my previous post, would become.  I sure enjoyed working with it and in the end could not decide on just one side.  So without further delay here is the completed outfit.
I used Kwik Sew 3520 and Burda 8497 to create this look.
I'll talk about the skirt first.  Basically all I did was cut the dress pattern off at the waist.  There are sixteen wedge shaped pieces.  I cut 8 out on each side of the fabric.  I inserted an invisible zipper at the center back.  I then cut a facing piece the width of my waist and interfaced it.  I used this to finish the waist.  The skirt panels go all the way to the top.  My invisible zipper applications keep getting neater and neater.  Yay!

The Burda top pattern is a well drafted pattern and pretty easy to put together.  I used a light-weight cotton sateen, from a flat sheet that was just the right shade of off-white.  I really hope it holds up! The front edges have a facing that I understitched then topstitched down.  The front of the blouse does not gape if I tie the waist snugly, even when I sit down.  I am so pleased about this.

The elbows have darts for bending.  I forgot to take a picture of this, but I think it is a neat detail.  The only thing that isn't clear on the pattern is that it tells you at step 8 to "Finish allowances on back neck edge together."  I made a flat fell seam along the back neck edge so that I didn't have a serged edge there.  It is a much neater finish.  You could also apply a bias strip there, but it is a 5/8" seam so you have plenty of fabric to do a flat fell seam.  I have to say I was impressed with how well the blouse front and tie met together.  This is an example of perfect drafting.
I ladder stitched the tie to the front on the back side so I would not have to topstitch here. 
I also had great success setting in my sleeves.  No puckers this time around.  Here is the opening for the tie at the side seam. 
The only other thing I would recommend on this pattern is:  to get a nice curve on your hem, it is important to make a basting stitch along the edge, and gather the thread a little bit.  For instance, if you've allowed 3/4" for your hem, then baste along the edge of the curve at 3/8", gather the edge a slight bit, then press using the stitching as your guide.  Turn up again the final 3/8" and you should have a fairly smooth curve to topstitch down.

Can you believe the weekend is here already?  I have guests arriving tonight and staying until Wednesday morning.  My DS's final soccer games and potlucks are this weekend.  My seventeenth wedding anniversary is Saturday, but celebrating will have to wait, since my DH is off island for business until next Tuesday.  (Maybe he can get me a new camera to make up for it! He he.)  Busy, busy, busy...Hope you all have a good one!

30 comments:

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

Clever skirt! and I like your blouse, I have been looking for a nice wrap blouse pattern with a collar. Wonder how it would sew up in a blouse weight silk? Have you made it in any other fabrics?

Vanessa said...

I love the way you combined the dual sides of the fabric! It goes together so effortlessly! Your skirt is a lot like the paneled skirt I am working on for my daughter. The whole outfit just works!

Kyle said...

Another great outfit! Nice pictures of the details!

Digs said...

Very pretty and fresh look. Love the alternating gores.

Joy said...

I love that blouse! And shoulder darts! How nice to have design features intended for ease of movement!

Lori said...

Great idea for your skirt and such a beautiful blouse.

Handmade said...

Gorgeous linen fabric - love the earthy tones - great top as well - another winner!

MushyWear said...

Thanks gals. Beth - This is the first time I have used this pattern, but I do think it would work well with a blouse weight silk.

Myra said...

Really great outfit Shannon! You're so creative! I'm really enjoying your technique on the skirt! and I can't believe you constructed this beautiful blouse out of a flat sheet! How Simply chic! Great job!

Myra said...

Oh, and Happy Anniversary!!

Eugenia said...

Wonderful outfit! The top looks so beautifully made and I love how you have used that gorgeous linen fabric for the skirt - perfect!

Gorgeous Things said...

I love that whole outfit! Beautiful job on the skirt!!!!

Irene said...

Looks fabulous! Love your idea for using both sides of the fabric for the skirt.

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

Cute outfit! Love that you used a flat sheet for the top and how you alterated the fabric for the skirt panels!

Lisa said...

I can't believe how fast you sew lol ! I really really love that blouse . Your sewing is so neat and perfect . The whole outfit looks lovely together.

Karin said...

I particularly like your top! The skirt is great too, a lot of work, but a great effect.

Lisette M said...

I love what you did with the linen, what a pretty outfit. The top pattern I made up quite a few years ago and I still get compliments when I wear it. Like you I was impressed with the elbow dart and the great drafting in general.

sewing spots said...

I really love this blouse!

Jane M said...

Wow, another terrific outfit. I've had that blouse pattern for years and never even made a muslin. But your rave about the drafting means I must make it!! It looks terrific on you. Thanks for the inspiration and reminder. And happy anniversary:-)

Julia said...

What a great way to use both sides of this beautiful fabric. I love that blouse!!!!

velosewer said...

Your skirt is really clever and pretty. The blouse worked out well and your skills are just great.White shirts/blouses are so in. Happy anniversary. I hope you do get a new camera/video/phone/game.

Caroline said...

Happy Anniversary! and really lovely outfit. I would not have guessed this was what you would make but it is really fun!

Carolyn said...

Happy anniversary! This is a lovely outfit, and I'm glad the top came together well for you too! It looks gorgeous on you.
Your invisible zip finish is perfect.

Sue said...

So pretty and a great use use of your gorgeous fabric. I have just bought that Burda pattern so am itching to try it.

knottygnome said...

love the outfit! it looks great and the shirt especially is a perfect fit.

Angela said...

Beautiful outfit! Thanks for the tip on hemming!

Uta said...

That is the perfect wrap blouse! I think it's one of the most flattering top styles to wear, and this one is really great. The skirt is so pretty, too!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

A fabulous set! I particularly like the top, stylish and practical.

Anita (Summer Gypsy) said...

What an beautiful blouse. And I love that you used a sheet to make it. Perfect!

Tasia said...

Great outfit! The blouse fits you so well. You could wear it with a ton of your other projects! Love the skirt, too. Well done!