Thursday, November 25, 2010

Black and White and Red All Over


For those of you celebrating Thanksgiving today I wish you happy times and memories you won't soon forget!  I remember one year I forgot to put sugar in the pumpkin pie.  That was quite a surprise!  This year I got up early and made the pie first thing, and I did remember the sugar.  I can't wait to have some later on.  I don't always take the time to make homemade pie crust, but this year I did, and it just can't be beat!

While the turkey is cooking away, and we anticipate dinner with the family later on, I have a little time to show you what I have been working on this week.  I do wish my pictures were clearer, ah well... 

I mentioned the skirt pattern in my previous post.  It is from the Burda Style magazine - 12/2009 issue #123.  It has an invisible zipper, a curved waistband, and an inset panel that wraps from the front up to the center back and down to the opposite front.  I made a size 36 and added one inch to the waistband.  I didn't line it, although the magazine does include instructions for doing so.  Here are a couple of close up pictures.
I am really happy with the blouse.  I used three different patterns to get this look.  These are the three patterns.  I borrowed the collar from the Kwik Sew, the sleeves from the Simplicity (the view you can hardly see on the left side), and the body of the blouse from the Burda.  The Burda pattern fits me perfect, so that is why I used it as my base.

 
Here is a closer picture of the blouse.  I'm not sure if you can see it, but I wanted a lot of buttons so I spaced them 2 inches apart and there are nine of them.  I will also wear this blouse with the collar tied in a bow so the buttons can show.  The lovely bracelet is from Carolyn's giveaway.  I love it with the outfit!  Thank you again!    
When I put the outfit on this morning my oldest son said, "Mom, that looks like a 40's outfit."  I'm not sure if it's representative of that time, but it is the type of look I was going for.  I really love how it all came together and I will try to find any opportunity I can to wear it. 

17 comments:

Marie said...

Awesome outfit. I love the skirt pattern you chose, and I think the blouse is rocking (actually, I am wearing one just like it today).

Joy said...

Lovely outfit. I really like the shape of the skirt. And, ah, I'm still aspiring toward the invisible invisible zipper!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Sew4Fun said...

Lovely skirt and blouse! I like the style of both.

Sue said...

Lovely outfit Shannon, you look great!

Linda said...

Love the blouse and skirt. It does have a vintage look. I need to look into making that skirt, very flattering on you.

Irene said...

Beautiful, beautiful outfit. I really like that skirt on you. Who needs new patterns when you can mix and match what you have? Turned out very nicely.

Nóra said...

Wow, it was a quick and painstaking work! You're very pretty!

Mary said...

That's a great skirt on you. I love the blouse also, and have one similar in my queue (spring, after camping). Anyway, you look very nice in this outfit-it is a little different from many of the things I've seen you make and wear. Did you get your hair done recently? :-)

Handmade said...

Gorgeous outfit - that skirt looks fab on you!

paola said...

BELLISSIMO IL COMPLETO E' DA TEMPO CHE SEGUO I TUOI LAVORI IO SONO ITALY E AMMIRO MOLTISSIMO I TUOI LAVORI UNO PIU' BELLO DELL'ALTRO MA DOVE TROVI IL TEMPO? E COME FAI A MANTENERTI COSI' MAGRA SO CHE FAI CORSA MA CURI ANCHE ALIMENTAZIONE COME MANGI? PENSO POCO.....HAI LA MACCHINA DA CUCIRE O ANCHE LA TAGLIACUCI? A PRESTO...

Anita said...

На эту юбку я тоже долго смотрела в журнале, теперь вижу, что хорошо смотрится, можно смело шить!
At this skirt too long I looked in the magazine, now I see that looks good, it is safe to sew!

Ann's Fashion Studio said...

I love your outfit!

Vanessa said...

Well I think you look beautifully polished in this outfit! I am crazy about the fabric, and everything works well together.

Ruth said...

So nice! The skirt and blouse are beautiful.

Ann Brodsky said...

Love your Thanksgiving day outfit! I like how you used the animal print in a very feminine style blouse. The skirt is lovely too- I bet you'll get lots of use out of it.

Wendy H. said...

BELLISSIMO IL COMPLETO E' DA TEMPO CHE SEGUO I TUOI LAVORI IO SONO ITALY E AMMIRO MOLTISSIMO I TUOI LAVORI UNO PIU' BELLO DELL'ALTRO MA DOVE TROVI IL TEMPO? E COME FAI A MANTENERTI COSI' MAGRA SO CHE FAI CORSA MA CURI ANCHE ALIMENTAZIONE COME MANGI? PENSO POCO.....HAI LA MACCHINA DA CUCIRE O ANCHE LA TAGLIACUCI? A PRESTO...

Translation (I speak Italian): The final piece is beautiful! It's been awhile since I've followed your work. I am Italian and I admire your work very much. Each piece is more beautiful than the last. But, where do you find the time? How do you stay so thin? I know that you run, but do you also follow a special diet? I think a little... Do you have a sewing machine and also a serger? See you soon.

Rebecca said...

Hey Shannon!
So awesome 2 see you on fb!! Do you make quilts as well?? I'm looking 4 someone that does. Michael, and I are well. I'm working 50hrs a week, as a nanny, and love my job! I have a 14mo. old boy, and 3 girls, ages 5,6, and 7...two different families. Had to buy a van just 2 be able 2 get them all from school! Hope 2 hear from you soon! Love and miss you, Rebecca